Journeyman

Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1

- Device Hardware Version - find under Settings > About phone

m900.8.0

-  Software Version - find under Settings > About phone

2.1-update 1

-  Exact steps to reproduce

Phone being turned on.

- List of applications running in the  foreground/background on the device (email/music/etc)

IQ Agent Service, SanService, AndroidSprintExtn, EasSyncManagerServ, AndroidKeyboard, GTalkSErvice, SmsService, Cronjob, Indexing Service

- Specific  location where this is occurring (if during commute - start and end  point)

Often occurs in Washington DC.

- Any additional pertinent information

The phone no longer enters 'Airplane Mode' officially.  Now, following the 2.1 update, it randomly looses connection entirely, then maybe picks it up later.  Text messages take 2 days to arrive. GPS drops randomly  then maybe picks up.

This is occouring on two phones.  They are exactly the same except one does not run Google Gesture Search - CronJob and Indexing Service.

Really annoying and dangerous.  The GPS cut off while driving 60mph on the highway.  At least before I could see it was in airplane mode.

// data captured -- wengla02

Message was edited by: terpsy
Two new things:
There seem to be two different states that my 2 moments like to randomly enter:
1. Full airplane mode- airplane mode is 'on' no signal, no warning
2. All bars are full, EV arrow stuck in up- The phone is not officially in airplane mode, but I can not make or receive calls or access the internet.  Only fix is to restart. Power button and non-internet phone features and programs do function.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hardware Version - M900.8.0

Software Version - Firmware: 2.1-update 1          Baseband: S:M900.8.0S.DE03          Kernel: 2.6.29

Steps - With wifi off. Run Youtube while traveling, Ocassional Market downloads, web browsing (ie. start loading sprint.com on phone and try to play a youtube video)

Specific Locations - Utah: Logan, Sandy, Salt Lake, Ogden, Brigham City, Providence (you get my point)

Extra information:  It is made worse than the 2.1 update.  I use data constantly, and this happens 5 times on a normal day.  It has happened up to 10 times during the day and forces me to restart the phone.  I would like to blame it on the firmware that Samsung supplies since their CDMA coding hasn't ever been very good.  The lockup makes the evdo symbol disappear and airplane mode does not reset it.  It really sucks when using the Sprint Navigation on the freeway.

Message was edited by: brent.isaacs

//data captured

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hardware Version - M900.8.0

Software Version - Firmware:  2.1-update 1          Baseband: S:M900.8.0S.DE03          Kernel: 2.6.29

Steps  - Turn on wifi. Browse, watch videos, download apps, etc. Turn off wifi. Browse, etc...lock up eminent at some point (either cdma lock up or airplane mode)

Specific Locations - St. Louis and vicinity.

Extra  information:  Phone feels like it doesn't know how to switch between wifi, 1x, evdo without screwing up. I've tried all in my power to fix the issue with no luck. As others have reported, it's worst in 2.1. This issue should have top priority as it renders the phone useless when it happens (no calls, no data, no everything). This is not a small bug, this is a serious issue. We all know how important one phone call can be.

//data captured - wengla02

Highlighted
Journeyman

same hardware, software, baseband and kernel that everyone else has turn on wifi, do anything on the net and try to go back locks up.

extra info- if this was such a top priority why did it not get fixed with the 2.1 update and even worse when they were testing this had to come up and they still pushed the update out.  That is just bad service i will never get another samsung phone again and i am even thinking about not getting another sprint phone it is just sad that this issue was out shortly after the phone and they still have not fixed it. if it is taking this long for a high priority i would hate to see how long it is going to take for the minor bugs that need to be fixed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

- Device Hardware Version - M900.8.0
-  Software Version - 2.1-update 1
-  Exact steps to reproduce

• There's no step to reproduce:
    • just watching YouTube while you're walking around or
    • listening to Pandora radio or
    • trying to download an application from Market or
    • starting Sprint Navigation app
  • Some steps to expedite reproducing the issue:
    • While driving, I listen to Pandora radio and sometimes need to use Sprint Navigation at the same time, which makes these things worse and miserable
    • Whenever I leave WIFI connectivity area with WIFI enabled while data streaming app (such as YouTube, Pandora, etc) is working, the issue seems to happen

- List of applications running in the  foreground/background on the device: YouTube, Pandora radio, Sprint Navigation, Market
- Specific  location where this is occurring

• Commuting from Lake Mary, FL to Daytona Beach, FL
  • At home and in the office....

• Yesterday, I visited Sprint repair center, where I have already swapped my Moment twice (this is my third refurbished Moment) because swapping the phone didn't fix the issues and I had to reboot the phone more than five times in a row in 5 hours. The technician refused to order another refurbished phone for me because they have done everything they're supposed to do to fix the phone. Moreover, these issues are known issues and Samsung is trying to find a good resolution. Funny thing is he gave me a phone number to Samsung Repair Center and told that I need to contact Samsung repair center to fix my phone as Samsung is responsible for those issues. And I said to him, "I'm a Sprint customer and I've been paying to Sprint not Samsung for the service so to me Sprint is responsible for all those issues." He kept saying that there's no other way to fix my phone at Sprint side. I don't understand this situation at all because I purchased the phone at Sprint and have been paying a good chunk of money monthly to Sprint for the service I'm supposed to get. It is not a professional manner to take care of your customers, Sprint! I will research to find a way to make you recall your Samsung Moment phone as obviously this phone have never been working properly since it was released and more obviously you can't fix those issues right away.

// data logged - thank you.  w.england

Highlighted
Journeyman

First, to rsnelson, my compliments to you on such a thorough and detailed account of what's happening with the Moment. All I can add to it is, "Ditto." My phone suffers from the same lockups, in precisely the same manner.

It was present on CL14, and presists on DE03. It was also present on the official release prior to CL14, which was installed on my phone at the time of purchase. In my own perception, the number and frequency of occurrences is the same regardless of version.

The only difference is that I'm in Tampa, Florida, and not California. Clearly, it's not a geographical issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello

sorry to hear about your problem. My first moment went into airplane mode atleast 4 times a day but after getting my first replacement i have not had this issue. Not all moments have this issue or the same rate of occurence. The reason this happens is because there is a problem with the signal handoff. Signal handoff is when u go from wifi to evdo(3g) or from evdo to 1x(basically 2g) or vice versa. Whether this is a hardware or software issue is unknown.

The good news is the moment 2 redubbed the samsung intercept is coming out july 11 and because this is a known issue it would probably be pretty easy to get a free upgrade to the intercept. That is if u have insurance and gotten a few replacements.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd upgrade to the newer moment if they offer it to us as an alternative. This data freeze thing is seriously, VERY old.

Highlighted
Journeyman

sybaritictra, is the problem you are experiencing related to the Airplane Mode?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, it is. You browse the internet, or you use YouTube or any other streaming app (Nascar does this too), and after a certain period of time it will stop connecting and the phone will show an X on the radio signal, and if you try and power the phone off it'll say Airplane Mode - ON, even though the phone is NOT technically even IN Airplane Mode. On my Moment, the Airplane Mode icon never shows up.. I just get the X on the signal and EV with arrows pointing up icon stuck, but when I try and power off my phone, I notice that the menu says Airplane Mode - ON.

Highlighted
Journeyman

- Device Hardware Version - M900.8.0

-  Software Version - Firmware: 2.1-update1 Baseband:S:M900.8.OS.DE3 Kernel:2.6.29

-  Exact steps to reproduce - Was not using my phone, it was charging.  I am always asleep when it happens.

- List of applications running in the  foreground/background on the device (email/music/etc) - Alarm Clock, Calendar Storage, Google Partner Setup, Google Search, Handcent SMS, Home, MP3 Store, Moxier Mail, My Uploads, Settings, Voice Control, Voice Search.  All these were listed on my task cleaner when I noticed it had happened.  I guess they were all in the background because I was not using my phone when it happened

- Specific  location where this is occurring (if during commute - start and end  point) - at home. Palatine, IL

Highlighted
Journeyman

This happens about once every day - either goes into Airplane Mode of which you cannot get out of.  I have to power down the phone.  I have the phone not hang-up a call so I have to take the battery out to disconnect.  Reboot brings the Sprint network back on.  I am generally just checking emails and discover that I am not on the Sprint network anymore - big "x" above. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat