Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Airplane Mode on the Moment post 2.1

Not sure if your talking about the Airplane Mode issue or the Data Lockup issue, but either way its not Google/Android's issue.  Samsung has to fix this.  Yes, some of the blame falls on Sprint for not testing the device properly, but Samsung owns the code in the RIL and they won't let anyone else look at it.  It's either a firmware issue, or a hardware issue.  If it's firmware you would think it would have been fixed by now since the issue has existed from day one (in 1.5 and 2.1).  If it's hardware, we're all screwed because I don't think they will do a recall on all these phones to install new mainboards.  As I stated in a previous post, it is a known issue that the WiFi radio causes static interference with bluetooth operation.  Anyone who has tried to make a call over bluetooth while the WiFi radio is on (you don't have to be connected to a network at the time) would know this.  It stands to reason that it could be interfering with the CDMA radio also.  I know 7 people with this device and we all have the same Data Lockup issue.  A few of us have had the issue with multiple phones since we swapped out for new one's. Not to mention all the people posting in this forum and all the other forum's and development sites out there.

Message was edited by: mattallica76

Highlighted
Journeyman

so what do we do now??? im am just wondering do we eat the money we spent on our phones and some of us have multiple moments? Id just as soon cancel everything on spring and go with verizon if this dont get a fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

"I Was Wrong: Lockup/Airplane Mode bug FIXED!"

That is the title of the post I was planning to write here last weekend but now the best I can say it is a Whole Lot Better.  Here's my story (if you want to skip the story and get the useful parts feel free to do that now):

I bought the Moment the first week it came out and while I love the phone I did suffer the bug and the others from the beginning but decided to stick it out for two reasons:  first is once I drank the koolaid for Google/Androiod there was no going back and the Hero is an inferior phone with it's own bugs at the time and second I figured there would be a fix for such a glaring defect.

Several months later CL14 came out and as we know it didn't address this bug.  At least it fixed a few other problems like the the random GPS locations and improved the battery performance from almost-unusable to poor.  And by then they were promising the upgrade to 2.1 Real Soon Now.

When 2.1 came out about 6 months after I bought the Moment and it didn't touch this bug either I decided enough is enough and started calling Sprint.  I can post more details later but most of the people I spoke with were helpful and I expected I would have to play the game first so when they suggested I go to the store to get it diagnosed and replaced I complied.

They made the appointment for me and I dropped it off for an hour.  Of course I wanted to show the bug when I got there and I almost couldn't do it.  Took me 5 minutes before it failed which is almost a record on that phone. Anyway, when I came back they told me the diagnostics were all good and that they made a change to my account profile and it was all fixed now.   This time it took about 30 seconds for me to show them nothing was fixed.

This time they swapped it with a "refurb" phone and then I had to give it back to get 2.1 installed.  Once that was done it locked up twice in the store while restoring my contacts from google.  By that time the store closing and that was their last refurb phone so I left with the refurb.  (the refurb looked like a new phone with the screen and bezel looking new in the scratch-pastic but the keyboard had someone else's finger grime buildup and the keyboard was loose from the screen which was annoying).

I spent the next week with different departments and people with Sprint where people were peasant but nothing really was acoomplished.  One person confirmed it was a known problem with a simple work-around: take the battery out and back in.  In the end I agreed to go back to the store to get it replaced again.

So back I went and since they had no refurbs the replaced it with a brand new one.  I made sure the put the upgrade in first this time and it sync'd my contacts fine this time.  I left the store and then tried to get it to fail.  I couldn't do it.  The streaming video didn't do it, downloading marketplace wouldn't do it, scrolling around on google maps wouldn't do it.  I loaded Pandora and ran for an hour and it still worked fine.

I know people mentioned wifi having something to do with it so far all day Saturday I was driving around and didn't turn on wifi.  Sunday morning it wouldn't fail so I enabled wifi at home and it was working fine.  I turned wifi off and BOOM, it failed immediately.

"Ah ha!" thinks I.  It was wifi all along.  But being an engineer I tried the experiment again and I could not get it to fail again with wifi on and off.  I even switched wifi off with Pandora running and it didn't miss a beat.    I used it more during the day it did fail one more time Sunday after not using wifi (wifi off).

So now I am left more puzzled with the technical aspects of the bug but with a phone that is 90% better than before.  This does suggest more of a hardware problem and would explain why some people don't seem to have the problem as much as others.

The details on this phone:

Model:

SPH-M900

Firmware

2.1-update1

Baseband

S:M900.8.OS.DE03

Kernel

Build

ECLAIR.DE03

Hardware

M900.8.0

Highlighted
Journeyman
Highlighted
Journeyman

Those might be temporary fixes, but I (along with all other Moment owners) want a fix that is permanent. I don't want to have to not use certain core functions of a device I paid for. If I only wanted certain options, I would have bought a phone with less capability. I'm glad you can search SDX, but this doesn't address the issue that we deserve a SOLUTION for and not a band-aid.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey guys.

Has any of the forum moderators/sprint reps come here to give an update on the status of this issue? I searched the forums and all I found was "Samsung/Sprint is aware and are working on it".

Has anyone come up to say anything more informative? Say an ETA on the fix? I'm afraid the Moment 2 will come out and we will be out of luck since Samsung will probably forget about the original. Just wondering as these issues are driving me nuts.

Highlighted
Journeyman

First of all, I don't work for Sprint or Samsung. I'm just trying to help people here out untill Samsung can release a firware update.  But if this turns out to be a hardware problem, then this "band-aid" is all you are going to get.

Highlighted
Journeyman

- Device Hardware Version - m900.8.0

- Software Version - find under  Settings > About phone: Firmware 2.1-update 1   baseband  s:m900.8.05.de03  kernel 2.6.29

- No action needed. Goes into Airplane mode on its own.

- List  of applications running in the foreground/background on the device  (email/music/etc): task manager, email, gmail, foursquare

- Specific location where this is occurring; At my desk at work. Seems to happen between 2pm and 5pm Central time.

- Any additional pertinent  information: Not at this time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let me start by saying I've owned this phone for several months and NEVER had the airplane mode issue until the last few days.  I upgraded to 2.1 a couple of weeks ago and didn't have the issue until I started using WIFI.  I first noticed that I couldn't turn my WIFI off.  It wouldn't toggle off using the WIFI widget from my home page.  I just figured it was me.  Then I noticed a few times from my home I tried to send a text and realized it was in Airplane mode.  Nothing would turn phone back on exept a restart.  Yesterday I noticed the airplane mode was on in the grocery store.  Did it happen when I left my house?  I'm not sure but again this morning when I woke up my phone was again in airplane mode.  I've since told my phone to "forget" my WEP password to see if preventing it from connecting to WIFI helps at all.  I presume it won't be that easy!

- Device Hardware Version - M900.8.0

- Software Version - M900.8.OS.DE03

- Exact steps to reproduce - I'm not sure. 
- List of applications running in the foreground/background on the device - Nothing running in background, various apps in forground include browser, Handcent SMS, Grocery IQ

- Specific location where this is occurring - Had it happen both at home and away from home.  Did have it connected to home WIFI all of the times it has occured.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Funny, had the phone for months and didn't start having problems with this until the 2.1 upgrade. First and last Samsung phone I'll buy...

Message was edited by: knaveofspades

Highlighted
Journeyman

- Device Hardware Version - M900.8.0
- Software Version - 2.1 Update 1
- Exact steps to reproduce
- List of applications running in the foreground/background on the device (email/music/etc) -

- Specific location where this is occurring (if during commute - start and end point)
- Any additional pertinent information

Highlighted
Journeyman

FW: 2.1-update1

BASEBAND: S:M900.8.OS.DE3

Kernel: 2.6.29

Build: ECLAIR.DE03

Exact steps to reproduce: 

- Not sure.  It has happened several times overnight.  I'll wake up and the phone will be in airplane mode.

- I also see the data connection freeze.  It happens much more frequently than airplane mode.  It happens anytime, anyplace.  I need to pull the battery to get it working again.

List of applications running in the foreground/background on the device (email/music/etc):  K9 mail

It's more than disappointing that after 6 months there is still no fix.  Is it possible for some kind of progress report from the admins?  I'm guessing that if this turns out to be a hardware issue, we're all SOL, right?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat