cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane mode after CL14 upgrade

Highlighted
Journeyman

Airplane mode after CL14 upgrade

I just had two Moments upgraded yesterday to CL14.  I had no issues with the phone going into AIrplane Mode prior to the upgrade.

I put on on the charger last night. When I woke up, the phone was in a strange Airplane like mode.  Normally, a airplane is shown overlaid to the signal strength indicator.  Instead, there was just a "x" in the signal strength indicator.  However, airplane mode was indicated when the hangup button was held.  I could not disable hangup mode...

Through the hangup button...

- I could select this to enable and disable but nothing happend.

Through the device settings menu...

- I could select to enable airplane mode but all menu entries would remain black.  It appeared like a callback never was issued to show that the airplane mode was re-enabled and to display the menu entries again.

Through the hangup button again (after device settings menu was used)...

- I could no longer even select the airplane mode option.

Power cycling the device one time brought the network back to life.

The other Moment did not go into airplane mode (i.e. it wasn't some strange network issue)

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Journeyman

I had this issue about a week ago (maybe less) and I have not upgraded to CL14... it could be a Sprint error on their end. I am in New Jersey I travel around the Philadelphia and New York area... sorry not 100% sure where I was when this happened, but I cycled the power on the phone and when it booted up it was fine.

My blackberry phones, also on sprint have issues with the network from time to time, as did my HTC Touch. Disabling the network and re-enabling it sometimes worked. Maybe you have a CL14 issue, but I had a similar issue. It wasn't airplane mode it was an x over the signal bars... I thought I was in airplane mode but, when I hit the red power button it asked if I wanted to enter airplane mode. So, I double checked and noticed I was not in airplane mode... no airplane near signal bars.

Maybe Ken-Sprint and his team crashed the network testing the new OTA download they are working on for CL14... lol.

If anyone else has this issue, please add to this... maybe we can find the reason behind it, or at least get Sprint to look into it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

rsnelson wrote:

I just had two Moments upgraded yesterday to CL14.  I had no issues with the phone going into AIrplane Mode prior to the upgrade.

I put on on the charger last night. When I woke up, the phone was in a strange Airplane like mode.  Normally, a airplane is shown overlaid to the signal strength indicator.  Instead, there was just a "x" in the signal strength indicator.  However, airplane mode was indicated when the hangup button was held.  I could not disable hangup mode...

Through the hangup button...

- I could select this to enable and disable but nothing happend.

Through the device settings menu...

- I could select to enable airplane mode but all menu entries would remain black.  It appeared like a callback never was issued to show that the airplane mode was re-enabled and to display the menu entries again.

Through the hangup button again (after device settings menu was used)...

- I could no longer even select the airplane mode option.

Power cycling the device one time brought the network back to life.

The other Moment did not go into airplane mode (i.e. it wasn't some strange network issue)

I have reported this as being an on-going issue for some users even though they did have the CL14 upgrade. So removing and reinserting the battery helped resolve this problem, correct?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I still have issues.  Please see my followup topic at http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/27203?tstart=0.

The phone can become back to life by power cycling.  This would include removing and reinstalling the battery.

The phone can be placed easily in the strange state by following the steps in my last post in the above thread.

An airplane was shown in the signal strength indicator the first time it happened to me (i.e. the start of this thread).  Now, I don't get the airplane to show up but rather it appears the phone is in some strange state where data connectivity is gone.  Attempting to enable airplane mode in this state causes other issues.

Thanks for reporting this.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

I thought I was lucky... I only had one airplane mode incident, very early on. But in the last week it's become common: almost daily. It's disastrous b/c you don't know when it's going to strike. I have not had the update--do you have to call to get it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

me too, I thought my phone was rid of this problem - but it has happened every day for last 3 days.  What is going on??

Highlighted
Journeyman

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat