cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in ALL releases - aka CDMA lockup, Stuck Up Arrow. There is no 100% effective solution for everyone. Phones have a defect that prevents making and receiving calls without warning. Reboot recovers it.

Go to solution
Highlighted
Patron

Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in ALL releases - aka CDMA lockup, Stuck Up Arrow. There is no 100% effective solution for everyone. Phones have a defect that prevents making and receiving calls without warning. Reboot recovers it.

Final Update 6DEC10 - switching to Verizon

I have seen that this problem still exists with both of my Moments on the latest software (installed as instructed at the update site). I believe that this problem has not been taken seriously by Sprint or Samsung. 

My experience with the current software shows that they are trying to recover from this bad radio state rather than fix it, as evidenced by an unusable radio for up to 10 minutes.  Their software recovery method does not always work, even after an hour of leaving the phone to manage itself.  A reboot has all but one time fixed it (with the latest software). The one time it didn't work I had to reboot twice. Toggling Wifi can still make this happen. 

Whatever the reason (hardware or software), Sprint hasn't handled this problem well. Samsung apparently thought this design problem was acceptable. Given the plethora of Samsung device problems I've heard about for their other phones, I think Samsung has some growth opportunities in the realm of Android phone design, and I am steering clear of them for a while. 

I have decided to solve this problem by taking my business to Verizon, after 12 years with Sprint.  I will be paying cancellation fees for my contracts and paying for new phones in order to have phone service that meets my expectations (phones that make phone calls!).  Up until May of this year I always told people that Sprint has good service (coverage, customer, support) as long as you don't change anything, i.e. it was worth the money. 

Unfortunately, I can no longer say that.  I won't recommend Sprint anymore. Their policies to retain customers appear to have shifted some time in 2009, and this is actually the second time their device replacement constraints have negatively affected me.  It's a different company from my perspective.

Verizon Droid 2 Global and Droid Pro - first week - faster data, (obviously) faster phones, Android 2.2, can use WiFi anytime I want.  Finally.

Good luck to all. Hopefully your continuing experience will be better than mine.

7NOV09 - Posts alerting Sprint to this problem
26JAN10 - Sprint continues investigation, CL14 has (unadvertised) fix (chipset problem)
11AUG10 - Sprint unofficially says Sprint and Samsung is working in the lab to solve it, mentions that customers are critical to Sprint creating a better product

Past info from this thread:

Day 2, noticed that the top bar area is showing an X in the signal bars, and the radio is off (phone info shows this).  Airplane mode is also periodically marked as enabled, turning it off worked one or two times to re-enable the radio, so I could make phone calls.  Usually it does not.  Power cycling the phone worked twice, but now it's not working at all.  Phone isn't able to make phone calls or do data.

When trying to make a call, it says "To place a call, first turn off Airplane mode.".  Going to Settings - Wireless Controls - Airplane mode is not selected (no green arrow). Holding the power button down shows "Airplane mode is OFF".

Service state in Settings - About  Phone - Status - Service state - shows "Radio off".

Some others on other forums have run into this as well.  Anyone know of a way to resolve this (besides get a new phone)?

Updating the top of this thread 2SEP10 to make it more obvious (like it needs that) -

So it's been 9 months since I highlighted this problem (which to be fair, the above issue started as a normal airplane mode problem but ended up killing the hardware completely).  I am now on my 7th Moment (9 total for my family) and they have ALL had this airplane mode problem at least once. My latest phone locked up within an hour of getting it from the store.

In order to bypass the "third party app" generic excuse, when I'm ready to try my luck again, I factory reset my phone, just toggle WiFi, then move around on Google Maps (use data).  Every unit locks up, usually within an hour.  Then I show up at the store with my phone locked up, loaded exactly the way they gave it to me, and the salesman and I both act shocked that my phone is locked up. Given that I've had so many of these replaced, they're giving me new units as replacements. Appbrain is your friend.

I too have been threatened with a device downgrade (Hero or Intercept) as a reward for paying $500 for two defective phones.  It appears that there's no benefit to Sprint to take 4G phones away from people that want to pay for them, as I've called Sprint (normal and retention) and talked to retail salespeople (manager and assistant) and they have assured me that there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to give me a phone that is as good or better than the Moment. Apparently "a 4G phone is too big of a step up" compared to the trouble that I'm having....

Since these replacements are being handled by the manufacturer's warranty, and that's up in another 3 months (for me), I've got a small window to make some decisions.  A friend told me that the cost of Verizon's plans are now about par with Sprint's.  If I'm going to have to pay for a replacement phone, I might as well try another CDMA carrier after 12 years with Sprint.

Message was edited by: GregNx

453 REPLIES 453
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am also a sprint customer with the Samsung Moment who is having this "airplane mode" issue. Just posting to get the issue addressed. Also, while in "airplane mode," the phone sometimes freezes up and will not respond to any key pressed, the only way to temporarily fix it is to take the battery out and start the phone back up.

Another issue that I am experiencing is with one of the security features. I set up the unlock pattern feature where you connect four of the dots to unlock the phone. The problem is whenever I unlock it, my phone dials 911 about 8/10 times! This is a major issue considering the fact that these calls show up on the phone bill.

Hopefully this message gets to someone important to address these problems.

Highlighted

The 911 dialing issue has been fixed in the latest software update.  See the post titled "Samsung Moment CL14 Maintenance Release"

Highlighted
Journeyman

The device managemen team is aware of this issue; the problem has been reported and Samsung is working on a fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is a serious problem they have known about since the Moment came out in November, it's almost February! Where's the fix???

Message was edited by: FunkyTrunk

Highlighted
Wizard

Could be coincidental, but my Moment hasn't gone into airplane mode since I got the MR last week.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got the same problem.. Happened a couple hours after I got the phone, I reset the battery and it went back to normal. Used it the next day now its stuck and wont go out. Did the factory reset and tried even a full wipe or something like that that the support tech told me to do, still nothing. Crappy phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint and Samsung continue to investigate this airplane mode issue and determine the root cause.

Upgrade to CL14

Please make sure you device is upgraded to the CL14 (MR1) which fixed two known root causes:

• a problem on the chipset was found to have caused the device to go into airplane mode, and CL14 contains a patch from Qualcomm to address this.
  • Keyguard UI modification to help prevent accidental airplane mode activation.

Have the upgrade and still having airplane mode problems?

• Troubleshoot tip: Remove and reinsert the battery - this may temporarily resolve the problem.

Message was edited by: izzyks

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd like to report that this just happened to me on my phone. I originally had the problem on my launch phone, replaced that before the 30 days were up. I haven't had that issue until now. I upgraded to CL14 last week. I just had the airplane mode enable itself.

Highlighted
Patron

Well, just after I completed this post, I tried using my phone, thinking, "Man, it's been a quiet morning." and found that my phone was in weird airplane mode.  I tried toggling radios to see if I could recover it since that worked once before post-CL14, but it didn't recover until I power cycled (using the power button).  That's when 4 hours of texts finally came through. One-sided SMS conversations sure don't make any sense....

Glad to see that Samsung's working on this, and "Thanks" to the Admins on the site that are keeping us informed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've also had this happen, twice, since the CL14 update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine has the MR and it still has this problem.  Run Pandora for more than 20 minutes and you'll get one of two results:

1. EVDO data stops working.  The up arrow will come on, but never both arrows.  Opening the web browser will confirm that data is no longer working.  The only fix for this is power cycling or turning Wifi on and connecting to an access point and then turning wifi back off, the wifi solution works sometimes but not every time.

2. Airplane mode.

Do not consider the MR (CL14) a fix, it didn't fix this issue at all.  Sprint, please consider this phone as broken as the day it came out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

AmazingLarry, I don't recall seeing the 'entering airplace mode at random' on the list of bugs fixed with the CL14 release. They recognise the issue and should be working on fixing it nowm however. As for Pandora, it's entirely possible that is a bug with Pandora itself, though that may be unlikely. CL14 did fix a good deal of things, like aGPS, and I think we should applaud Sprint for supporting our phones and encourage them to do more for us, rather than blatantly snub their attempt and call them failures.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat