cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in ALL releases - aka CDMA lockup, Stuck Up Arrow. There is no 100% effective solution for everyone. Phones have a defect that prevents making and receiving calls without warning. Reboot recovers it.

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly

I'd like to say that I've also had this issue.  I've had the phone for less than a week.  It happened this morning after leaving wifi on and charging all night.  If it happens again I'll be returning the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please report the problem to both Sprint and Samsung via their voice tech support before returning the phone.  Make sure they are aware phones with CL14 installed on them still have this issue.

I am hesitating from returning my phone because I think this is a software issue.  I hope others report this so that both Sprint and Samsung can see that it is a wide spread problem.

Patron

OK, my opinion is that the Instinct is not ready for prime time without the latest update.  With it, it qualifies as broken, but usable, sort of like what I used to get from T-Mobile's hotspot at home garbage.

I am astounded that when I got my wife upgraded to an Instinct for her birthday about 10 days ago, I had to ask to have the update applied to the phone before we took it.

Now, I live in an area where I get a bar or maybe not, from someone other than Sprint, I have an Airave, and that gets me 3 bars in the bedroom, 5 in the living room.  I also have wifi at home and I use it whenever I am at home.  Airplane mode used to be a nightly event.

Now it is a weekly event, or maybe once a fortnight - definitely much better.  Also, it used to be affected by being on charge, now it seems to be

The real improvements have been to battery life. When I first got this phone I had to put it on the car charger whenever I was out of the house - it would flatten the battery in 3-4 hours.  Now I can depend on a day away from the tether. 

The fact that they are allowing stores to continue to sell the phone without the update just proves that Sprint does not understand these phones.

Frankly, I am not sure why this was not an over-the-air update.

I get the feeling that no one at Sprint is actually using these phones.  If they were putting up with the bugs and so forth, there might be more of a push to get updates out.

Someone at Sprint thinks these phones work, they are advertising them with the Palms and blackberries.  I used to dislike my blackberry, for form factor, its wont to pocket dial and a hundred other problems.  Now I think it was a good phone by comparison.  They need to understand that what they have out there is junk and that they need to push out 2.1.  I find it hard to imagine that even a beta would be in worse shape than what we have.

Journeyman

rsnelson wrote:

Please report the problem to both Sprint and Samsung via their voice tech support before returning the phone.  Make sure they are aware phones with CL14 installed on them still have this issue.

I am hesitating from returning my phone because I think this is a software issue.  I hope others report this so that both Sprint and Samsung can see that it is a wide spread problem.

Random Airplane Mode is a known issue (after CL14). The internal device management team is very aware of this and working with the vendor to identify the root cause. I will post an update when more details are available.

Journeyman

Thanks for the acknowledgement that there is a known problem.  Please let Sprint first line support know about this because as of last week their only solution is to swap the phone out.  This could get expensive on Sprint's part and inconvenient on the users part if this ends up being something an software update can resolve.

I'm working around the problem right now by not enabling WiFi.

Patron

I just had this problem last night, WiFi was not enabled and had not been enabled for over 24 hours.

Traveling across a few states by car last weekend made it happen on my phone and my wife's phone (both CL14 at the time), neither of us had WiFi enabled the entire weekend.

WiFi certainly makes it happen more frequently for most people, but it's not required for every occurrence in my experience. And not everyone is affected by this.

Journeyman

1. WiFi has little or nothing to do with the "Airplane mode" bug.  I have had it happen with wifie enabled and with it disabled as have others.

2. This is an UNACCEPTABLE situation.

3. MY THEORY: It seems to happen when the phone is transfering data through the phone network and I think it has to do when you it is switching between cells or between services like the EVDO and 1X networks.  It may also be when you switch from cellular to WIFI.  This would explain the flakey behavior why it works better for some people and not others.  Also for me while I can sometimes get streaming data for many minutes and sometimes only a few seconds.  It root cause may also have something to do with the GPS bug (where it locates the phone is exotic locations around the world).

4. Sometimes it activates "airplane mode" and sometimes it just FAILs.  Sometimes you get an X on the cell signal and sometimes it fails completely silently.  Power cycling fixes it.  Sometimes you get a "samsung.com.mumble has quit" message.

5. Sprint HAS to fix this and SOON.    Pointing fingers to Samsung for the fix is irrelevent.  We pay Sprint to have a phone that works and this phone does not.

6. The PROMISE of a fix has kept me from jumping to the Verizon Droid so far but my patience has limits.   I want a working Android phone and I would be quite happy if the Moment had a recent version of Android and didn't FAIL several times a day on average.  If Sprint cannot get this fixed and doesn't come out with a better Android phone shortly they will lose me and I suspect many others.

Journeyman

For me, WiFi has a big deal to do with this issue.  This may not be the case for others but I can get my phone into this mode by simply enabling WiFi, walking outside of the transmission range of the WiFi network, and attempting to download anything through the Sprint network.  Within minutes it will fail for me.

My phone will work fine for days by not enabling WiFi.  I have had it fail on me once without WiFi enabled but this the only time.

For me it is not a huge issue where I need a fix tomorrow as I have an unlimited data plan.  However, I don't want to wait weeks for the fix.  WiFi would be nice because of the quicker data rates.  It would be a different story if I had to constantly reset my phone regardless if WiFi was enabled.

I'm hoping my information can help Sprint/Samsung/Qualcomm/Andriod determine the root cause.  I'm also hoping the fix can be addressed without affecting the battery life.  I have really enjoyed the longer battery life after the upgrade to CL14.

I agree that Sprint as the phone retailer and service provider should be the single point of contact for these problems... and they have acknowledged that they are investigating it.

Journeyman

Thanks to the Sprint Admin for the feedback.  That is ALWAYS appreciated.    Like gregnx above, my 'airplane mode' since CL14 is made worse by having WiFi on, and charging the phone at night.    Predictably, it will be on X in the AM.    However, for the first time night before last, I had the X appear after overnight charging with WiFi off.    So there is a connection, just not so solid.

Journeyman

sprint is maintaining that the issues with the moment are not their fault.  it seems unlikely that they could have 2 seperate phones on the market suffering from several of the same issues and not understand that its the os causing the problem. maybe they do know and didnt care enough to wait till they could release the phones with updates. either way pretty poor business practices. if it can be proved that sprint knowingly sold faulty phones.... can you say lawsuit

Journeyman

I can't quite see your viewpoint.  I am willing to accept the fact that Sprint and Samsung are investigating the issue and will give them time to do so.  I would hope that some response will be given soon even if the response is that they are still looking into the issue.  I don't care who is at fault as long as it is resolved.

The phones will become more stable as time goes on.  Nothing is perfect.  As far as my phone, it is great right now as long as WiFi isn't enabled.

Patron

Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly - what about a fix?

There was no note in the release that said CL14 addressed the problem, and Sprint has said they've been working on this for months now. 

Hopefully neither Sprint or Samsung thought that they'd wait until post-CL14 to see if the airplane mode problem magically went away. 

Can Sprint tell us if a fix for this problem is being tested in the 2.1 release?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat