cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in ALL releases - aka CDMA lockup, Stuck Up Arrow. There is no 100% effective solution for everyone. Phones have a defect that prevents making and receiving calls without warning. Reboot recovers it.

Go to solution
Highlighted
Patron

Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in ALL releases - aka CDMA lockup, Stuck Up Arrow. There is no 100% effective solution for everyone. Phones have a defect that prevents making and receiving calls without warning. Reboot recovers it.

Final Update 6DEC10 - switching to Verizon

I have seen that this problem still exists with both of my Moments on the latest software (installed as instructed at the update site). I believe that this problem has not been taken seriously by Sprint or Samsung. 

My experience with the current software shows that they are trying to recover from this bad radio state rather than fix it, as evidenced by an unusable radio for up to 10 minutes.  Their software recovery method does not always work, even after an hour of leaving the phone to manage itself.  A reboot has all but one time fixed it (with the latest software). The one time it didn't work I had to reboot twice. Toggling Wifi can still make this happen. 

Whatever the reason (hardware or software), Sprint hasn't handled this problem well. Samsung apparently thought this design problem was acceptable. Given the plethora of Samsung device problems I've heard about for their other phones, I think Samsung has some growth opportunities in the realm of Android phone design, and I am steering clear of them for a while. 

I have decided to solve this problem by taking my business to Verizon, after 12 years with Sprint.  I will be paying cancellation fees for my contracts and paying for new phones in order to have phone service that meets my expectations (phones that make phone calls!).  Up until May of this year I always told people that Sprint has good service (coverage, customer, support) as long as you don't change anything, i.e. it was worth the money. 

Unfortunately, I can no longer say that.  I won't recommend Sprint anymore. Their policies to retain customers appear to have shifted some time in 2009, and this is actually the second time their device replacement constraints have negatively affected me.  It's a different company from my perspective.

Verizon Droid 2 Global and Droid Pro - first week - faster data, (obviously) faster phones, Android 2.2, can use WiFi anytime I want.  Finally.

Good luck to all. Hopefully your continuing experience will be better than mine.

7NOV09 - Posts alerting Sprint to this problem
26JAN10 - Sprint continues investigation, CL14 has (unadvertised) fix (chipset problem)
11AUG10 - Sprint unofficially says Sprint and Samsung is working in the lab to solve it, mentions that customers are critical to Sprint creating a better product

Past info from this thread:

Day 2, noticed that the top bar area is showing an X in the signal bars, and the radio is off (phone info shows this).  Airplane mode is also periodically marked as enabled, turning it off worked one or two times to re-enable the radio, so I could make phone calls.  Usually it does not.  Power cycling the phone worked twice, but now it's not working at all.  Phone isn't able to make phone calls or do data.

When trying to make a call, it says "To place a call, first turn off Airplane mode.".  Going to Settings - Wireless Controls - Airplane mode is not selected (no green arrow). Holding the power button down shows "Airplane mode is OFF".

Service state in Settings - About  Phone - Status - Service state - shows "Radio off".

Some others on other forums have run into this as well.  Anyone know of a way to resolve this (besides get a new phone)?

Updating the top of this thread 2SEP10 to make it more obvious (like it needs that) -

So it's been 9 months since I highlighted this problem (which to be fair, the above issue started as a normal airplane mode problem but ended up killing the hardware completely).  I am now on my 7th Moment (9 total for my family) and they have ALL had this airplane mode problem at least once. My latest phone locked up within an hour of getting it from the store.

In order to bypass the "third party app" generic excuse, when I'm ready to try my luck again, I factory reset my phone, just toggle WiFi, then move around on Google Maps (use data).  Every unit locks up, usually within an hour.  Then I show up at the store with my phone locked up, loaded exactly the way they gave it to me, and the salesman and I both act shocked that my phone is locked up. Given that I've had so many of these replaced, they're giving me new units as replacements. Appbrain is your friend.

I too have been threatened with a device downgrade (Hero or Intercept) as a reward for paying $500 for two defective phones.  It appears that there's no benefit to Sprint to take 4G phones away from people that want to pay for them, as I've called Sprint (normal and retention) and talked to retail salespeople (manager and assistant) and they have assured me that there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to give me a phone that is as good or better than the Moment. Apparently "a 4G phone is too big of a step up" compared to the trouble that I'm having....

Since these replacements are being handled by the manufacturer's warranty, and that's up in another 3 months (for me), I've got a small window to make some decisions.  A friend told me that the cost of Verizon's plans are now about par with Sprint's.  If I'm going to have to pay for a replacement phone, I might as well try another CDMA carrier after 12 years with Sprint.

Message was edited by: GregNx

453 REPLIES 453
Highlighted
Journeyman

Ugh! Thank god I'm not the only one who's had this issue. I've had this phone since last January and thought I was just going crazy. My friend has the same phone and we just thought it was a random glitch now and then. Lately my phone has been locking up all the time. A close friend of mine is stationed overseas and calls at random hours. I wait on tenterhooks for his calls because I NEVER know if he's going to live another day or not due to the line of his work. I have had his calls lock up on my phone and regular domestic calls at well. It's so ridiculously frustrating to be staring at your phone, unable to answer it because it's locked up and WONT RESPOND TO A DAMN THING until you take out the damn battery or restart it. I can't call this guy back. I don't get that luxury.

To pay for a defective product just plain pisses me off. I've done all the updates, I'm constantly checking for new updates to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong, and this phone still just locks up or turns black and I have to reset. Today I had to turn the phone off FIVE TIMES IN A ROW because whenever I opened the slider the screen would go black.

Whenever I call Sprint tech support they take forever to answer your calls.

I went to Sprint from T-Mobile because I heard they have amazing customer service and take care of their customers. So by selling a defective phone (in which the company knowing acknowledges said issues, specifically addressed in the latest update release) you're basically saying you don't care about your customers one bit? Classy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just came from the Sprint store. I believe they no longer care about customer satisfaction. My Samsung Moment is the worst Sprint phone I've owned in the last fifteen years. I live in Kansas, where the Sprint headquarters are located. I am on a state contract. I have been a large commercial account customer of Sprint for at least ten of the last fifteen years. I took my phone for service for about the twelfth time since I got it. It hangs. It goes into airplane mode. It turns itself for no apparent reason. It heats up on the charger. It burns out chargers. It is barely functional in GPS mode. It runs down a battery in 4-6 hours without even using. And this is with the GPS off. They try to tell me that non-executing programs use up battery life. I beg to differ. I bought software to prove the point. I use WiFi, but it is idle most of the time. There is a function on the phone that tells you how much battery power various functions consume. The techs at Sprint don't even care to discuss this information. They only let you talk to a sales person at the service center. They want to know if I use a task killer. They tell me that phones aren't just phones any more. They act like customers are ignorant and stupid. I am still carrying the Blackberry Curve I had when I bought the Moment to replace it. They blackberry is much more reliable, and the GPS stays on continuously. I am canceling my account if they don't resolve the problem. Time to switch to a carrier that has better products. They just don't get it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just bought my moment and now wish I would have researched it better. I like the keyboard and the phone in general but this airplane thing is a killer. I went to the store to see if they could help me and they were less than amicable. Customer service improvement? Keep going. What I find interesting now is Spring has pulled the moment from the web site to purchase. I think I'll just cancel and go to another carrier. Too bad, I was really excited.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Version

Date released

Description of enhancements/fixes

S:M900.8.OS.DI06
Eclair.DE03
9/22/2010This update:
- Fixes Airplane Mode issues
- Corrects Skyfire browser power cycle issue
- Adds Select All option to Bulk Bluetooth contact push

Check your updates more often and realize that all smartphones have issues. Next time read the ratings and reviews before buying so you know what to expect. In this day and age ignorance is not an acceptable excuse.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same issues...I have already replace it once and it still goes into airplane mode randomly. I power off and on, remove the battery and sometime with no luck for hours.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks Mary, I appreciate the update. You must be super awesome at this smartphone stuff!!!! I'm just an ignorant boob.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mary, thank you for lecture.  Just so you know, most of us on this forum have been waiting for a fix to correct our defective phone for over 6 six or more, after paying upwards of $300 for this smartphone.  Unfortunately, this issue was not publicized when I bought ours.

Your post of the MR is greatly appreciated.  Up until yesterday, Sprint's own Executive Services Office, via e-mail, was still stating that the "fix" was to go to a Sprint repair center to obtain Android 2.1 on your phone.  They found it hard to believe my phone has 2.1 and still locks...

Now they have a new fix.  Let's hope it works finally...

I am still going after Sprint / Samsung for multiple months of lock ups (lost service) and simply for the headache.  But please, feel free to ignore my posts in the future.

Yours truly,

An Ignorant Moment Owner.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mary, no need for the righteous attitude.  But maybe you're right, though.  Maybe we if all had unlimited time to waste, we should all scour the internet every time we buy anything.  Although I did actually look up a lot of reviews, I never saw anything about the airplane mode until after I had the phone.

Everyone else: I actually spoke with a sprint rep about 2-3 days ago who told me he knew sprint software techs who were working on a beta version of android 2.2 for the moment that *apparently* has helped with the airplane mode.  Although sprint had stated earlier that the moment wasn't getting 2.2, he said this was strictly beta and therefore wouldn't be publicized at all.  Maybe he was confusing it with the intercept, though, who knows.  Still, thought it was interesting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

mary. how very ignorant of you ro assume none of us researched our phones before purchasing them. personally i dont have money to just throw away for a pretty phone. i went on cnet.com and quite a few other electronic sites to review my phone in january. none of the issues were ever mentioned and i bought this phone due to its higher processors and format. but hey im an idiot. and you can blame the lack of punctuation and proper capitalization in this post on my moment. it kept locking up repeatedly and giving me force close errors. on a sprint site no less.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It appears my previous comment was rejected by moderators.  I don't think they cared for a suggestion I had for Mary, so I've decided to change my tone a bit.

Hey Mary,

Thanks for the reference to what looks to be another  worthless update that demonstrates sprint still has no grasp of this  issue.  The thread that announces the update (or rather, announces the  update will be late, as usual), says that this update addresses the  "airplane mode" issue, a.k.a. the CDMA lockup issue, a.k.a, the  up-arrow-of-death.  In the same post, they announce that a coming update  will fix the "CDMA Lockup issue" a.k.a. the airplane mode issue, a.k.a,  the up arrow-of-death.  I'm only anxiously awaiting the announcement  that in Q1 of 2011, they finally plan on addressing the  up-arrow-of-death.  THEN our phones will work properly...right?  Right?

I did my research, and oddly enough, "locks up and leaves you without service" wasn't in the feature list.  So in summary, Mary, please go find yourself a nice comfy bean bag chair and have a nice hot cup of tea.  We appreciate you, and we all hope your day is filled with sunshine and double rainbows.  All the way.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Mary,

Obviously you have struck a nerve here, and that is because you did not do YOUR research before posting. A couple points I have to mention:

1) To the point that I should have done my research - I bought my Moment in Nov 2009. I read every major review and had researched new phones for almost 3 months before I purchased. If you can find a reference ANYWHERE talking about the airplane mode/CDMA lockup issue at that time please let me know. By the way, the phone ALSO had many other problems then (e.g. GPS placing me in Estonia) that took MONTHS to be addressed.

2) I, like many others on this thread, have tried every single fix Sprint has suggested, everything I can find online, and gone through 5 replacement phones. The idea that we had all just overlooked some upgrade is condescending

3) Finally to the statement that all smartphones have these issues - I have been using smart phones since the very first Palm Treo came out, and was using other digitial organizers for years before that. I have never had a complaint about any of them. Did they have occasional lock ups or reboots? Sure But the problems with the Moment have been fundamental to the operations of the phone, occur with NO ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE INSTALLED, and happen every single day. Even more to the point however, earlier this month, I sucked it up and bought the new Samsung Epic and that phone is virtually flawless. I have it stuffed to the gills with software and the only issue it had was fixed with a maintainence release last week - within the first month after release of the phone! I have NEVER complained about one of my phones before, and dont expect to complain about the Epic.

So Mary, please think before you post and do your research. I think you owe a lot of people an apology for your comments.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, enough about Mary.

My questions is now, when am I supposed to recieve this update? The update site says it's supposed to notify me when the update hits my Moment. When is that? I've done the Firmware/PRL/Profile updates but the phone still says it's DE03. I looked to see if I could download the new update file and update my Moment from my pc but that's still the May 14 release on there.

Is there some sort of systematic way they push this out across the US or am I missing something. I really want to get this resolved because if this doesn't work I will be returning my phone to Sprint today. (I'll probably bring my four kids in with me as I talk to the Customer Service Rep so they can destroy the store. Maybe they'll give me an EVO or Epic just to get me out of there. HAHA.)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat