cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in ALL releases - aka CDMA lockup, Stuck Up Arrow. There is no 100% effective solution for everyone. Phones have a defect that prevents making and receiving calls without warning. Reboot recovers it.

Go to solution
Highlighted
Patron

Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in ALL releases - aka CDMA lockup, Stuck Up Arrow. There is no 100% effective solution for everyone. Phones have a defect that prevents making and receiving calls without warning. Reboot recovers it.

Final Update 6DEC10 - switching to Verizon

I have seen that this problem still exists with both of my Moments on the latest software (installed as instructed at the update site). I believe that this problem has not been taken seriously by Sprint or Samsung. 

My experience with the current software shows that they are trying to recover from this bad radio state rather than fix it, as evidenced by an unusable radio for up to 10 minutes.  Their software recovery method does not always work, even after an hour of leaving the phone to manage itself.  A reboot has all but one time fixed it (with the latest software). The one time it didn't work I had to reboot twice. Toggling Wifi can still make this happen. 

Whatever the reason (hardware or software), Sprint hasn't handled this problem well. Samsung apparently thought this design problem was acceptable. Given the plethora of Samsung device problems I've heard about for their other phones, I think Samsung has some growth opportunities in the realm of Android phone design, and I am steering clear of them for a while. 

I have decided to solve this problem by taking my business to Verizon, after 12 years with Sprint.  I will be paying cancellation fees for my contracts and paying for new phones in order to have phone service that meets my expectations (phones that make phone calls!).  Up until May of this year I always told people that Sprint has good service (coverage, customer, support) as long as you don't change anything, i.e. it was worth the money. 

Unfortunately, I can no longer say that.  I won't recommend Sprint anymore. Their policies to retain customers appear to have shifted some time in 2009, and this is actually the second time their device replacement constraints have negatively affected me.  It's a different company from my perspective.

Verizon Droid 2 Global and Droid Pro - first week - faster data, (obviously) faster phones, Android 2.2, can use WiFi anytime I want.  Finally.

Good luck to all. Hopefully your continuing experience will be better than mine.

7NOV09 - Posts alerting Sprint to this problem
26JAN10 - Sprint continues investigation, CL14 has (unadvertised) fix (chipset problem)
11AUG10 - Sprint unofficially says Sprint and Samsung is working in the lab to solve it, mentions that customers are critical to Sprint creating a better product

Past info from this thread:

Day 2, noticed that the top bar area is showing an X in the signal bars, and the radio is off (phone info shows this).  Airplane mode is also periodically marked as enabled, turning it off worked one or two times to re-enable the radio, so I could make phone calls.  Usually it does not.  Power cycling the phone worked twice, but now it's not working at all.  Phone isn't able to make phone calls or do data.

When trying to make a call, it says "To place a call, first turn off Airplane mode.".  Going to Settings - Wireless Controls - Airplane mode is not selected (no green arrow). Holding the power button down shows "Airplane mode is OFF".

Service state in Settings - About  Phone - Status - Service state - shows "Radio off".

Some others on other forums have run into this as well.  Anyone know of a way to resolve this (besides get a new phone)?

Updating the top of this thread 2SEP10 to make it more obvious (like it needs that) -

So it's been 9 months since I highlighted this problem (which to be fair, the above issue started as a normal airplane mode problem but ended up killing the hardware completely).  I am now on my 7th Moment (9 total for my family) and they have ALL had this airplane mode problem at least once. My latest phone locked up within an hour of getting it from the store.

In order to bypass the "third party app" generic excuse, when I'm ready to try my luck again, I factory reset my phone, just toggle WiFi, then move around on Google Maps (use data).  Every unit locks up, usually within an hour.  Then I show up at the store with my phone locked up, loaded exactly the way they gave it to me, and the salesman and I both act shocked that my phone is locked up. Given that I've had so many of these replaced, they're giving me new units as replacements. Appbrain is your friend.

I too have been threatened with a device downgrade (Hero or Intercept) as a reward for paying $500 for two defective phones.  It appears that there's no benefit to Sprint to take 4G phones away from people that want to pay for them, as I've called Sprint (normal and retention) and talked to retail salespeople (manager and assistant) and they have assured me that there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to give me a phone that is as good or better than the Moment. Apparently "a 4G phone is too big of a step up" compared to the trouble that I'm having....

Since these replacements are being handled by the manufacturer's warranty, and that's up in another 3 months (for me), I've got a small window to make some decisions.  A friend told me that the cost of Verizon's plans are now about par with Sprint's.  If I'm going to have to pay for a replacement phone, I might as well try another CDMA carrier after 12 years with Sprint.

Message was edited by: GregNx

453 REPLIES 453
Highlighted
Journeyman

This sounds EXACTLY like a carbon copy of the problems I am having, Wow!!! I bought this phone brand new from Sprint the beginning of March, 2010.  Got so feed up with the airplane mode problem, I started calling Sprint. I would always get this from them: take it to a local Sprint store (some would tell me they never heard of it going in to airplane mode by itself). Never could get answer to the problem out of their mouths. All they did was send me another phone. I did not know that I ended up with a re-furb not until Sept 25th, 2010. Here I am thinking that I got a NEW phone and this would resolve the issue. Not hardly. Fed up again I call Sprint and again was told to take it to the local store. I did on 09/25/2010.  Another update is all I got. I told them about another problem, I upgraded the mini sdcard to an 8GB. It treats it just like the original 2GB card (they saw this for themselves) of course they had no answer for me, just said they didn't know. So I in turn got home, put my contacts back myself and called Sprint.  The company that I bought the sdcard from told me if the phone wasn't reading all of the card to send it back; I did. But the problem is still the same.  I learned on 09/25/2010 after talking with Sprint that I had a re-furb, I am not happy about this at all. I bought and paid for a brand new phone, took it to Sprint store 06/2010 an ended up been downgraded to a re-furb with the same issues. This is not right at all. Over $200 is just too much!! I have the same issues I had over 15 years ago with signal in and around our home. This phone was sold to me based on a lie. "The signal is better now; besides you have data roaming on your plan." I was skeptical, but based on that I bought the phone.  I have to get the phone still where I can get ONLY 1 bar and talk with a bluetooth headset. Because of Sprint reps saying they never heard of the phone going into airplane mode on it's own, I wasn't aware that others were having the same issues. On 10/01/2010 I wanted to see if I had the lastest update, (mostly the 2.2 had came out) so I called Sprint and this is how I ended up here. This is what's on my phone now: Model SPH-M900/Firmware 2.1-update1/Baseband S:M900.8.OS.DH11/Kernel 2.629/Build ECLAIR.DH11/Hardware M900.8.0 The last rep I spoke with told me the lastest version is the one on this website but after reading I'm not so sure if I want to do this or not. I have never once got any notifications about updates (Sprint says Google is suppose to email them). And also I have never been able to do any updates through "system updates" on the phone. I am at my end with this. I am tired of going around in circles.

So, Dsdrums1, I'm in the same boat as you and would like to see some results regarding getting this expensive phone fixed and issue free. Also, if anyone else reading this post is considering a lawsuit, please let me know because I am all for it!

Highlighted
Patron

Sprint is crap!!!!  I am currently starting to fight back because I expierienced the dats lock up trying to dial 911.  I was told my a Sprint Tech that the Moment has "no known issues" even though there have been software releases to fix the issues plagued by the phone and promised releases to fix it.  But to have someone tell me there is no known issues after all this time....ridiculous!!!!!  Sprint come on get with the program if you can't pressure Samsung into issuing a recal then you need to do it yourself.  The FCC complaints are going to be against you not Samsung and do you really want the federal government looking through our complaints and your lack of taking responsability or "making it right".  I was told if this problem existed everyone would bring thier phone in and they are not seeing it although when i was there 2 other people walked in with the same issue.  If anyone can get an attorney  let me know  (if you start talking legal you will get censored)...and everyone should file a complaint with the FCC because the data lock up keeps you from connecting with 911 which fcc laws say any cell phone with a charge has to be able to connect with 911...activated or not. Also file a complaint with the BBB and then go on facebook there is a page devoted to just this issue and what you can do including emailing Dan the CEo and calling executive services.  I am not on my home network so I cant get the site but if you search data lock up on facebook you will find the group.

Sprint you need to stand and deliver the Customer Service you got the award for last year...right now it seems you don't care how many MOments we go through and your not willing to make it right with your consumers who keep you all up and running.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Man, I'm glad I dropped Sprint and the Moment.  I moved to a regional carrier, got a Motorola Milestone (Non-Verizon Droid), clocked it up to 1.2Ghz, and have had no troubles.

I noticed when I had my Moment, in addition to the Airplane mode issue, that the phone would only connect up to EVDO Rev.0.  The Moment is supposed to be EVDO Rev.A (or so I thought).  Sprint claimed that they didn't have EVDO Rev.A in my area, but the other day, I saw a Sprint Hero showing EVDO Rev.A, and right beside it a Moment showing EVDO Rev.0 (and my Milestone, also showing Rev.A).

My Milestone connects up at EVDO Rev.A at the same places that the Moment would connect EVDO Rev.0, and is on the company's whose towers that Sprint borrows for their network here.

And the way I see it, my 550Mhz Cortex A8 processor (TI OMAP 3430) clocked up to 1.2Ghz is better than the EVOs Snapdragon.  The Droid/Milestone/EPIC's GPU is superior to the EVO and the EPIC uses the same (in 45nm technology compared to droid at 65nm) Cortex A8 processor (TI OMAP 3640) clocked at 1Ghz, while mine is clocked at 1.2GHZ

Message was edited by: jdmm72

Highlighted
Journeyman

Curious ... how do you know if you're connected to Rev.0 or Rev.A?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Settings....about phone...status...

Scroll down to Mobile network type...It will either say

CDMA - EvDo rev.0

or

CDMA - EvDo rev.A

Remember, you'll be told by Sprint (and many other people, even on here) that there isn't that much difference.  Try watching Youtube in HD with Rev.0 and Rev.A, you'll definitely notice a difference.  My max download speed according to Speedtest.net (available in the Android Market for free) on Rev.A is about 1600Kbps (when I had Verizon it was 2500kbps on a Touch Pro), on Rev.0 it was about 750Kbps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks.   It says Rev.A

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's good to hear that you are getting rev.A.  No joke, we were sitting at the IEEE room at our school (WVUIT) last week looking at a Sprint Samsung Moment and a Sprint Hero, and the Moment showed Rev.0 while the Hero showed Rev.A.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I hope I never have to call 911.  I'm sure I'll perish due to the fact my phone never works correctly and Sprint refuses to do anything or compensate the 1000s of people with these issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So my wife's Moment received an OTA update the other day, which has apparently fixed the data lockup issue!  I've had wifi enabled ever since while trying bandwidth tests over 3G.  This usually locks it up right away, but so far no problems.  I can't remember, but I think it actually claimed to fix the screen lock issue that's been a problem since I applied the one of the other recent airplane mode fixes (DI03?) in addition to the data lockup.  Btw, if I remember correctly, this came up under "update android" and not "firmware update."  Anyone else got this yet?  Sprint might have finally fixed this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I received this OTA a few days ago.    Just popped up on my screen.   I acknowledged it, the phone rebooted and went through its little update screen, the rebooted again.  Now the Build Number shows ECLAIR.DJ07.     I have not looked this up but if you are saying this is supposed to fix the disappearing slide lock, that would be good.   I have noticed none of that since the update, but then it only occurred every few days.   I'll give it a week to be sure.   As for the data lockup, it would be nice if that were fixed as well.

What would really be good is if Sprint would credit our accounts for some of this misery over the last 10 months (for me anyway) and ADMIT there was a problem.   Don't think that would happen though.    They really have us locked in.

Journeyman

Well... should have checked the update description first.   Whatever.    Here is the post by Sprint Admin:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/226094#226094

Here is the basic of what it 'fixes'...  notice the 911 is crossed out... look at the post linked above, you will see it was edited several times.   Guess the 911 fix part of DJ07 isn't working out ???

(  and boy it would SURE be nice if Sprint would host this website on a decent server or with decent bandwidth... it is a SLUG!!! )

==============================================================

Samsung Moment Maintenance Release - DJ07

Fixes:
- 911 call restrictions after modem crash related to airplane mode and data

lockup
- Proximity sensor and screen lock enhancements

- Sprint Radio black screen

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't have any more problems. I got Sprint to buy it back for $100.... $51 buy back plus $49 credit.

Then I asked retention to move up my upgrade date. I am getting an HTC Evo. No more Samsung.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat