cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in ALL releases - aka CDMA lockup, Stuck Up Arrow. There is no 100% effective solution for everyone. Phones have a defect that prevents making and receiving calls without warning. Reboot recovers it.

Go to solution

Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly - what about a fix?

Add both my wife and I to this problem.

Both of our Samsung Moments enter Airplane mode at random.  VERY frustrating, and taking it out of airplane mode via the power button pop-up menu doesn't actually work.  It'll SAY it's not in airplane mode, but the radio will never turn back on.

Also have problems where the phone SEEMS to be on, with 3+ bars showing, but you never actually receive calls.

Also have problems (might be associated) where you make a call, and it never dials.  Then you can't end the call.  Then the phone won't turn off, and you have to remove the battery to reset it.

I love the Moment; I just hate the actual phone part of it.

Journeyman

Yes, the same problems here, both the 'airplane mode' issue, which is the X in the signal level box saying ZIP/NADA for signal.    I have times when I cannot get the phone to hang up, it will make a call, but won't hang up.    I also have this weird thing where a call comes in, the phone is in my carrying case, I pull it out, SEE who is calling and almost as soon as I see the caller info, the screen blanks.   And I CANNOT pickup the call....  I have gotten so angry with this FEATURE!  It is FRUSTATING.    A couple of times I am able to be patient enough and the screen will come back, but not that often.    I am about ready to toss this phone back to Sprint.   I love the features but I HATE the bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journeyman

Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly

I have a moment with no problems (yet).  I sell cell phones and know of some customers that are having this problem.  How about US being proactive and providing our build dates to Sprint??  Since some have the problem & others don't, maybe there is a bug that can be identified by knowing when they were made.   My phone was made in Jan 2010.

Message was edited by: johnatte

Journeyman

I like the proactive approach.  It would be much better to simply to report the problem to Sprint and Samsung's 1-800's with your serial number.  Sprint already knows the serial numbers for the phone you have they just need to know who and how many people are affected.  Samsung should also be notified.  The serial number would be better than the date even the same date batch may contain different component lots.  Don't drop the serial numbers here for a couple of reasons: a) privacy, and b) these boards seem not to be monitored by Samsung and are seem to be infrequently visited by Sprint.

I wish there was a better system to report problems as well as to track the status of a problem.  For example, I could imagine a web page that would list the known problems (such as Airplane mode), provide some workarounds (such as disable WiFi), and provide the current status (even "resolution in progress" would be great).

Journeyman

gregnx wrote:

There was no note in the release that said CL14 addressed the problem, and Sprint has said they've been working on this for months now.

Hopefully neither Sprint or Samsung thought that they'd wait until post-CL14 to see if the airplane mode problem magically went away.

Can Sprint tell us if a fix for this problem is being tested in the 2.1 release?

Gregnx, Sprint and Samsung are aware of this problem and currently investigating to determine the root cause. In the interim, try removing and reinserting the battery for a temporary fix.  If you still have problems you may want to visit a Sprint Service & Repair store and make sure your device is upgraded to CL14 (MR1).

Journeyman

CL14 has no effect on the problem but The pulling the battery trick works really well.  Hopefully the person breaking into your home will wait a minute while your phone reboots so you can call 911.

Journeyman

Izzyks, for the record, my phone started to go into "Airplane Mode" only after the upgrade to CL14.

Also, removing the battery does not reduce the frequency of occurence any more than power cycling the phone.  You have to do either one to get the phone to work again. At least for me.

I hope this information helps you and your team determine the root cause and final fix.

Journeyman

rsnelson wrote:

Izzyks, for the record, my phone started to go into "Airplane Mode" only after the upgrade to CL14.

Also, removing the battery does not reduce the frequency of occurence any more than power cycling the phone.  You have to do either one to get the phone to work again. At least for me.

I hope this information helps you and your team determine the root cause and final fix.

I am having the same issue rnelson is -

My Samsung moment was working ok before the CL14 update (The battery had issues), once I updated the Battery issue was fixed somewhat but now I am having the dreaded Airplane Mode issue. It doesn't seem to matter if my WIFI is on or off, and it's getting worse by the day (I had it happen 3 times on 3/4/2010).

I don't mean to be an ahole but what's the deal? Are all Sprint customers Beta Testers for this product? I think an extended refund might be in order if Sprint can't fix this issue!

James

Journeyman

jdavis1510 wrote:

rsnelson wrote:

I am having the same issue rnelson is -

My Samsung moment was working ok before the CL14 update (The battery had issues), once I updated the Battery issue was fixed somewhat but now I am having the dreaded Airplane Mode issue. It doesn't seem to matter if my WIFI is on or off, and it's getting worse by the day (I had it happen 3 times on 3/4/2010).

I don't mean to be an ahole but what's the deal? Are all Sprint customers Beta Testers for this product? I think an extended refund might be in order if Sprint can't fix this issue!

James

You won't get a refund but a new phone isn't out of the question.  Go to a store and request to talk to a manager, politely state that the phone randomly loses service for no apparent reason, and it cannot provide adequate 911 service.  Sprint has admitted it has this problem, so this shouldn't be difficult.

Do not let Sprint pawn off some used Moto Q on you.  You paid for a new phone and signed a contract.  They gave you a phone that is defective at the most fundamental level that cannot be fixed by exchanging it.

Journeyman

I bought 1 for my brother.  It's the 4th Moment for my family.  I had to take my brother's to the store, because i couldn't log into Gmail, plus the Airport mode automatically enabled every 2 days or so.  He had to take out the battery to reboot, since everything was stuck.

I had to replace my phone 3 times, due to issues with other things like GPS, frozen screen, but never had this issue with Airport automatically enabled.  There seems to be a bug here.

Can't wait to have the upgrade to 2.1 OS.

Journeyman

I bought this phone on March 3, 2010 and today and yesterday my phone was stuch in airplane mode.  I will disable my WiFi and hope it fixes the problem.  I already missed a few important calls and this beeing a work phone might require me to get a differant phone if the airplane mode randomly turns on.  Also the only way to disable the airplane mode is to shut the phone off and then turn it back on.  When is 2.1 comming out?  I love this phone, but airplane mode randomly turning on sucks.

Journeyman

It happened to two phones in the same car.  I am assuming at the same time. It must be triggered by a tower/location change.

Particularly annoying because I was driving on the highway using the GPS when it lost the signal.

2.1 won't fix it automatically, Sprint or Samsung must fix it specifically.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat