cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in ALL releases - aka CDMA lockup, Stuck Up Arrow. There is no 100% effective solution for everyone. Phones have a defect that prevents making and receiving calls without warning. Reboot recovers it.

Go to solution

Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly

nashmarkt wrote:

My phone just turns off the radio (there is a small x in the antenna field in the status bar on top) at random. This is VERY annoying. I love everything else about this phone but I am replacing it with HTC.I suggest others do the same. I can not have my kid call me in an emergency and get voice mail and me not knowing that the radio is off.

I love my samsung moment and soon we will have android 2.1. Maybe that will fix the problem. I have no plans to switch to Htc because of a small problem. No cell phone is perfect.

This problem is very rare for my samsung moment.

Message was edited by: VorlessDarkChaos

Journeyman

Maybe you do not have kids. I need to be availble when my kids call or text me.

2 friends have HTC Hero and have never had the phone radio just go dead.

2.1 as much as it is going to solve some issues (who know if this is going to be one of them) it is going to bring its own new issues too.

Get the best phone you can get NOW.

Journeyman

i would not call the most basic and needed function of a cell phone  which is the ability to accept and send calls a minor problem. it is completely unacceptable that samsung has done nothing to address this since i first complained to them on nov. 6 last year i was one of the first people to own a moment and had the problem on the 3rd day. what happens if you need to call 911 or my children need to call me. yes the moment has great features and i like it better than my husbands hero but i dont feel safe with my moment and my next phone wont be a samsung

Journeyman

Since my post on May 12, (post 124) I have not had any more problems with my phone going into airplane mode by itself. The only changes I made were noted in that post. Seems that has worked for others as well. If your phone still gives you problems, take it back and exchange it for something you'll feel more confident with. As a father of 3 daughters myself, I certainly understand the concerns. I'm confident with my phone, but also cautiously aware of the potentional, so I do check on it from time to time.

Good luck ...

Message was edited by: stmiranda

Journeyman

As for me, my wife and I both decided to switch to Hero until Samsung moment issues are resolved. (then maybe we switch over to Samsung again).

I have had the Hero for 4 days now and I really like it  a lot. It is slightly (really a little bit only) slower than Moment but it makes up for it in Usability, Feature set, Better Batery life, and many many more features that are or arn't important to you.

I have already gotten used to not having a physical keyboard.

NR

Very frustrating.

But...  Over the past month, I've noticed a few things.

First, it happend when I was actually using my phone.  As in, I made a call, was on it, then lost signal.  When I tried calling back, I got nothing... then the icon on the notification bar switched to an 'x', and I noticed that I was in Airplane mode.

Second, I noticed that several times I was pocket dialing my phone, after hanging up, pressing the red button to lock the phone, observing the screen going blank, and putting my phone away.

Third, I noticed that my phone will occassionally spontaneously activate.  That is, it's sitting on my desk, and the screen will light up, even though I didn't do anything.  Surely this is in some response to background data activity or something.  I've seen it happen when it's on a charger when it gets to full power, for example.  Sometimes the screen can actively take a touch or two before the phone realizes it's supposed to be locked.

I reckon that there may be more than one cause of the airplane mode bug.  One may be the loss of signal with no corresponding pickup, with the phone programmatically going into airplane mode.  Another may be the phone turning on while holstered, and getting the correct button presses to turn airplane mode on.

I assume that this second theory is exacerbated by bloated software causing the phone to run slower - that is, the bloated software makes the phone run slowly enough that, when the phone spontaneously activates, for a brief moment the "lock screen" app hasn't taken over quickly enough, and screen touches actually work.

So... I've temporarily disable 91PandaHome.  My phone seems to run a bit faster on the home screens, and since I've disabled it, I haven't had a problem with Airplane Mode.  It's only been three days, but I seem to have the problem much more often than that.

I'll post again in a week with a status update.

Journeyman

After suffering not only this problem but also finding out that events entered in the calendar from my phone were not making it to the web calendar I did a hard reset and started over. Set up google account again, have not had a problem since. I also have NEVER turned on wi-fi since the hard reset and have not had the airplane mode issue. It has now been 3 weeks. I have updated the PRL a couple of times and notice that it has to reset the "radio" and when it does this the same icon is there- no bars and the little x. I have also not had the issue of it locking up during a phone call since. Hopefully sprint and samsung will fix the issues. My only problem now is when I use the phone on a phone call instead of headset or speaker I end up opening other things. I'll be talking and start hearing music or annoying sounds from a game. Other than that I really love the phone.

Journeyman

Thanks for that update. I have talked with the device management team and they tell me that Samsung continues to look into the airplane mode issue. I think the reason why its been so difficulty is due to the fact that it does happen all the time and not across all users. I'll post another update when I have more concrete details/news.

Journeyman

Same issue here, I got the phone less than a week ago and it's already doing this regularly.  I hope a fix is coming soon...

Journeyman

I've had my phone since December and it just switched into Airplane mode about 3 nights ago.  It hasn't done it since so I'll hold off on calling it a glitch.

Journeyman

I am having the same issue- the phone randomly goes into airplane mode- it happens more frequently when it's on the charger since I have the issue of the battery not staying charged or whatever also.  I go to make a call & have to pull the battery out to re-try to make the call...I'm within my 30days right now....what's the work around or is there a fix yet?

Journeyman

My Moment has worked flawlessly, including while on a Caribbean cruise where it was able to roam and connect without issue. I've not had the airplane mode enable since after about the first week. When it did happened, I noticed that 1) wifi was enabled and 2) I had one bar or less. Keeping wifi and bluetooth disabled while at home has prevented the airplane mode. While at the airport, I enabled wifi and connected without any problems. Disabled it when not it use, no problems. For reference, I also tethered my Moment to my laptop for 4 hours without any problems.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat