cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in ALL releases - aka CDMA lockup, Stuck Up Arrow. There is no 100% effective solution for everyone. Phones have a defect that prevents making and receiving calls without warning. Reboot recovers it.

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in 2.1

I would definitely upgrade the phone. The process was totally painless for me, and while I am still having the airplane mode issue, it has been far less frequent and the rest of the improvements are definitiely worth it. I would also note that it really seems related to having WiFi on. While I am not 100% certain, I do not beleive I have ever had it happen with WiFi off. The problem is that we have terrible reception at my work location and so turning off wifi pretty much means disabling all email and other data programs until I move to  another location.

Journeyman

Re: swap? Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in 2.1

GregNx wrote:

IzzyKS,

What is the recommendation for those of us that still have the problem with 2.1?

I'm forwarding this problem back to device management. I'm not sure what the solution will be and more discussion will possibly have to place with Samsung to determine why this keeps happening for some but not all users.

Journeyman

Just to confirm: I, too, upgraded to 2.1  and have continued to experience the airplane mode issue -- at least 3 times so far, about once per day.  I had the impression that Sprint and/or Samsung had identified this as a known problem and were working on a solution to be delivered sometime in June, and that this would be separate from and not included in the 2.1 upgrade.  If that is not the case, i.e., if a fix is not still in the works, I am very concerned.  I depend on this phone for work and HAVE to be reachable for emergencies.

Journeyman

I updated my phone on Friday and had the "Airplane Mode Issue" on Sunday while navigating.  WiFi was off but I think I entered an area with challenging cell phone reception.  The issue seems to be linked to poor reception areas (either Wi-Fi or cell).  It's almost like the phone just gives up searching and goes into Airplane mode instead.  I power cycled the phone and it came right back on with full service.

Journeyman

For the first time ever it just happened WHILE I was using the phone. Tried to send a text message with Handcent and it did not go out. (Got a message back saying that it was not sent.) Looked at the signal meter and I had several bars, so I tried texting again, this time without the one in front of the area code. (I am not a big texter and am not sure what is correct.) Anyhow, I saw the phone switch into airplane mode as I pressed send and could not get it back without rebooting the phone. WiFi was disabled, so I take back my earlier post saying that seemed to be related to the problem. I have also had three data lockups today where I am downloading something and it just stops dead until I reboot the phone.

I really cannot beleive this is still an issue after all the months I waited for the update. (I bought my phone in November.) I am really wondering if this is a hardware issue with the phone. This is my fourth Moment (although one replacement was just because I dropped it) and there is no question that many of the GPS issues are hardware related as the different phones have differed widely in their ability to get a GPS lock. It also seems like the phones differ widely in battery life, though the ones I have had have all been terrible (6 hours or less with minimal use). As I have said on these forums before, I really WANT to like this phone. (My wife cannot belive I am still putting up with it, but I love it when it works.) Arrgh!

Journeyman

I've owned this device since the day one. I have 2 actually, one is my gf's.

I report identical issues for both devices. This issue has been going since the very first day, but when I called to complain I was treated like an idiot since it was an unknown issue back then.

Now, after patiently waiting for 6 months, hoping that 2.1 would fix everything, cure AIDS, stop famine, etc. what do I get?....................a BIG, FAT  nothing.

I see no difference. Same issue. I think it's even worse.

What's the point of having an unlimited data plan if you can't listen to Pandora in a car for more than 3 songs(if you're lucky), if you can't use Google Maps to get directions, if you can't watch Youtube? Seriously..... what's the point?

Is it normal, in the year of 2010, to have to pull out the battery from the phone in order for it to work? Seriously.....?

Dear Sprint,

I urge you to fix this issue.

you have 2 months,

then, I'll get me 2 new shiny iPhones 4G

Journeyman

Yep, same thing.. I get data lockups when using data.. the more data or the iffier the signal quality, the more likely it is to happen. A power off and back on is required to fix it. It's sometimes happened several times in a row (i.e. multiple times within 15 minutes).

The potential of the phone is seriously hampered when you can't do anything that uses data reliably.. can't rely on navigation, can't stream music, can't watch youtube videos, can't download apps.. well you can.. it's just got a good chance of hanging after a few minutes.

Worst is when it does it when you're not using it, then you don't even know that you're missing notifications, calls, etc. Luckily it mostly happens while actively using the phone (probably due to the increased amount of data sent). But still.. come on Samsung/Sprint.. sending and receiving data is one of the most BASIC functions of a smartphone! It should just work!

It's huge and the most likely thing to drive me to switch to another phone that WORKS (and if I have to go to another carrier to get a good android phone w/keyboard that WORKS, so be it).

This problem has not happen to me yet since i upgraded to Android 2.1

Journeyman

I've only had mine two weeks, but didn't have this problem with 1.5.  Yesterday morning I upgraded to 2.1 and so far it's gone into Airplane Mode three times - twice with WiFi Off and once overnight with WiFi On.  I have a cell phone because I'm on call 24/7, and as much as I like this phone otherwise, if it stays this way I'll have to change it out for another phone I don't like as much within my 30-day "trial period".

Journeyman

I am in a similar situation as Steve; I have had my Moment for over a month now and only experienced this issue one time on 1.5.  After upgrading to 2.1 I have to reset my phone every day, sometimes more than once per day, due to this issue.

Journeyman

Re: irony

I've had this issue intermittently since I got my Moment loaded with 1.5 in February 2010. It has not been fixed with the 2.1 upgrade which I was I was lead to believe would fix it.

Just to clarify, the phone DOES NOT GO INTO "AIRPLANE MODE" where it shows the "airplane mode" icon in the status bar. The data just suddently "stops" and if you try using any programs that use data, the left "transmit" arrow is lit up while the "receive" arrow on the right is grey. Likewise, you cannot make any calls (you can dial, but all you hear is silence). When this happens, I've tried calling my phone and while the phone I'm calling from I hear it ringing, my Moment does not ring or even acknowledge a call. If you try to enter "airplane mode" thinking it might reset whatever problem is happening, it will switch off the "data" icon but leave your signal strength bar without the "airplane mode" icon. If you try to switch off airplane mode after doing this, you can't because the options are greyed out and at this point to get the phone to work again, you have to hold down the "End" button and poweroff, or pull the battery.

The issue is a truly intermittent one. I can go all day without it messing up at all, and do the exact same thing the next day and it locks up several times. The issue is with whatever is interacting with the phone's radio, or the radio hardware itself. Luckily I'm a Sprint Premier member now so can get a new phone in February, but I'd much prefer to be able to use my phone how I should be able to NOW. If Sprint can't offer a fix for this issue, I believe we are all due either a free upgrade NOW to a phone that doesn't have this issue, or some type of service credit.

Journeyman

Re: irony

you are a wise wise man. i was thinking the same thing we should get a rebate of somekind. regardless im getting the evo soon as it comes out.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat