cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in ALL releases - aka CDMA lockup, Stuck Up Arrow. There is no 100% effective solution for everyone. Phones have a defect that prevents making and receiving calls without warning. Reboot recovers it.

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly

i had the same problem. i ended up so po'd that i cancelled service with sprint. after thinking about that move, i reactivated. no more problems. i went through 3 heros before getting the moment and i have to say, i like the moment a little better.

Journeyman

I have no issues with Sprint. Or the Moment, for when it's working as it should. I think it's a great phone... I just wish it didn't have the bugs that it does.

I just want to know that it's a software issue that can be resolved rather than me having a lemon of a phone. Others have stated they had to go in and trade out their phone until they obtained one that worked. If that's the case, that's what I'll have to do but I just want to know that it will be resolved.

Wizard

I've reported this issue.  Will post if I hear anything back.

Journeyman

I just wanted to say I did get my moment on 11/9 it happened the first night and the next after noon.  turning off airplane mode did not fix I need to power cycle the phone.  Luckily has not happened again.  Hopefully this will get fixed soon.  The phone and the os is great, could use better battery life.

Journeyman

Just to throw in my two cents worth...

I actually flew all over the country this past weekend with my one week old Moment. I turned it on and off Airplane mode during 5 different flights and each time it worked fine. I have not experienced the random enabling of the mode before or after legitimately using the airplane mode so many times.  I hope I'm not jinxed now !!!

I wonder if it could be either a firmware problem or a rogue application that is causing the problem in so many phones?

Patron

Happened on 2nd phone this weekend twice.  A power cycle of the phone took care of it. Perhaps related to WiFi being enabled.

I happened to try a GPS status app and noticed that outside, with a very clear view of the sky, the phone could only see one or two satellites, and they were reported as stuck on the horizon at North.  I turned off WiFi, and it jumped up to 8 immediately, scattered around the sky as expected.

Seems like there are some radio conflicts that the phone software is not able to properly manage.

Journeyman

I have been getting used to the bugs more and I noticed a few things.  One, I think I only had the "airplane" bug once.  Instead I get some internal error message about a task or program that crashes (usually samsung.com.something but not always) and that is when I get the X signal.  A power cycle takes care of it.

Yesterday after the crash message I noticed that the GPS wasn't working and like the previous message it had just one satellite on the horizon.  I power cycled and I got a good signal and lots of satellites again.

Also with the bluetooth problems at least in the car I notice that it will often eventually connect by itself. I think the frustrating time I spent enabling and disabling bluetooth and trying different options each time had nothing to do with it connecting or not.  It connects when it feels like it or not.  This weekend I had long driving trip and when I needed the phone it had connected so I am feeling less stabby about the phone lately.

I still haven't seen any official announcement, mention or promise of any upgrade or fix for the problems.  I have another two weeks almost before my 30 days are up so I need something to feel confortable about keeping it.  And all my friends are getting the droid...

Journeyman

I have system logs captured after the airplane mode has been enabled. I captured them with Log Collector. If someone from Sprint wants them, let me know.

Airplane mode's been turned on about 10 times since I got the phone, most of the time I don't notice it because it happens while I'm sleeping. Which means I can't get any phone calls in the middle of the night, which might be a problem.

Message was edited by: deltron

Journeyman

I wonder if those of you with this issue are in a low signal area, and this is the phone's way of saving power by switching to airplane mode after a certain period of no signal. I have had no issues what so ever and I consistently keep 3-5 bars wherever I go.

Journeyman

Hi All, I'm getting the same error except my phone doesnt fix after rebooting.

I turn off airplane mode, but get the error telling me I'm still in airplance mode when trying to make a call.

This all started when I tried to use the wifi on the phone.

Signal is fine I would think since I had great signal in the house pre-upgrade.

Journeyman

I'm having this problem as well.  VERY annoying.  Thanks to who mentioned the "Log Collector" .. hopefully it might reveal something useful.

I've also had the hard-freeze that someone mentioned here where it doesn't respond to anything, buttons, sliding keyboard... not even inserting USB power cable to it from computer registers ANYTHING, not even on the computer's usb logs...

Only battery removal seems to fix the problem.

I'm within the 30 days from buying with Best Buy... just curious, what would the collective 'you' suggest?  Should I wait until it hangs again and take it to BB (or Sprint?  I don't know how the fact that I bought it from BB affects the grand scheme of things)...  Should I just keep the phone going and if I run into the problems again, return it for a new one?

Journeyman

Here's a snippet of my log file. Not comfortable posting the entire log file since it seems to have some identifying information.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat