cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airplane mode enabled randomly - Still in ALL releases - aka CDMA lockup, Stuck Up Arrow. There is no 100% effective solution for everyone. Phones have a defect that prevents making and receiving calls without warning. Reboot recovers it.

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Airplane mode enabled randomly

Power cycling the phone would never work for me, I always had to pull the battery and re-insert it.  That would always fix the problem for me (for a while.)

One thing I did noice was that the airplane mode fiasco almost always happened when I was in a low Sprint signal area with a ***STRONG*** Verizon roaming signal.  (Zero bars Sprint, FULL 7 bars for Verizon)  This happens to have been in my house, unfortunately.

I'm wondering if it was rapidly switching between Sprint and roaming... Especially say, in roaming, tyring to go back to the Sprint tower, loosing the Sprint signal before it could fully connect, then trying to go back to the Verizon tower, and locking itself up?

I noticed that, unlike the Hero, the Moment takes a very long time to switch from Sprint to roam (several seconds at least, sometimes even more)

I'm guessing that it's during this time frame that it is vulnerable to being locked into airplane mode.  (I'm guessing due to Samsung's incomplete CDMA implementation, the same thing causing lack of LBS (Location Based Services) when GPS is not available.)

Out of curiousity, how many people who are experiencing the airplane mode problem have Google Voice installed?  (I did)

I'm also wondering if it might be a case of a phone call coming in during this time, or even a application trying to go out to the internet at a specific point while the Moment is in this state of limbo, that is causing the problem.

Message was edited by: bkfist

Journeyman

I've had this issue 7 days after getting my Moment. I bought it on the 1st of Nov. Powercycling didn't fix it, I would have to remove the battery every time to get it out of airplane mode which I didn't enable in the first place. The symbol at the top was an x next to the bars which airplane mode when enabled shows a plane next to the bars. I would go to settings and it would state that airplane mode was turned off, I would try to make a call and it would say you are in airplane mode. Held down the power button to pull up the power menu and it would say that airplane mode is on but it wouldn't let me toggle it off. One day it took me a half hour of in and out battery to finally be able to make a call and this was while I was driving and needing to make a call to my boss. Very Very frustrating and down right unacceptable if I needed to make a 911 call while traveling. After fooling around a couple of more days with having this happen up to 10 times in one day I exchanged the phone for a new Moment. I was very happy with my 2nd phone but 2 weeks later it happened one time while I was at a mall. I was able this time to simply powercycle it and it has been fine since. With this 2nd phone I have been very careful about downloading apps and have not installed or used any widgets. I have not enabled WiFi or Bluetooth. I have GPS enabled which doesn't work very well anyways (half the time I am shown to be in South America). I have been posting to the Android forum about this as well and there is over a dozen people with the same issue. I believe that there is more people with this problem but if it sometimes can be easily resolved with powercycling and not happen again I don't think they are reporting it so we don't know how wide spread it is. When I returned my first Moment I gave a very detailed explaination of what was happening with the random airplane mode to Best Buy who typed it into their computer and told me that it has been reported to samsung/sprint. Now I hope that it true and someone is looking into it. Please post here if anyone else has had this happen even once and maybe they will look deeper into it.

Journeyman

My first time to have this happen was about 9 days into having the phone, no new apps had been installed for several days.  After it happened the firs time, it then started happening several times a day, getting progressivly worse.  This is what prompted me to return the Moment for a Hero.  If it hadn't been for this I would still own the Moment, but the phone must first, and foremost, be a usable phone.

Journeyman

I got the Moment on the 12th, on the 13th day of owning it, I had the airplane mode problem.  I tried everything because it was kind of an emergency and I needed to make a phone call.  Nothing I tried would fix it, I just could NOT use my phone.  I finally took it to a Sprint store and they had an awful time with it at the front desk, they finally took it in the back and after an hour they "fixed" it.  It hasn't happened since but that was really unsettling.  Not sure if I'm just going to take the phone back and go back to my BB Curve or exchange it.  I really need to have a PHONE in case of an extreme emergency.  I hope Samsung, Sprint or someone can address this serious bug!

Journeyman

well it happened again yesterday. i has the phone on in a case in my jacket pocket haning up. so. no way of touching it to trigger airplane mode this time it  was different the symbol had an airplane next to the signal bars 7 not the usual x. so this time i held down power to bring up the menu and it said airplane mode is on and i was able to toggle it off. the radio bars had the airplane symbol go away and for a brief sec the x showed up and then it was normal. at that point i saw all my missed calls from relatives because it was thanksgiving.....kind po ed about that with samsung

I hope people are notifying Srint and Samsung about these issues and not just posting here about them.  If you are having issues you need call or email Sprint and Samsung and give details of the issue so hopefully the appropriate departments can be notified and these issues can be solved.  Posting on forums about problems generally doesn't do a whole lot of good towards getting issues fixed.  If you go to the Samsung web site they have contact a email form as well as a phone number to call for tech support.

Journeyman

yes when i took the first phone in i emailed samsung and best buy reported it too

Journeyman

i just had to bring my samsung moment in, just got it like 2 weeks ago.  did this, and couldn't connect via usb at the sprint store i go to.  they told me it was a known issue, and i got a new phone.

Journeyman

Known issue requiring new phone hardware.. or a software issue?  I returned mine once and it has happened once or twice since my 30 days elapsed for a simple replacement at Best Buy...

Journeyman

they said it "was an android issue"  so i assume software.

Journeyman

im not sure about it being a software issue or not. it is not an android issue itself because my family has 4 heros and never an issue withairplane mode turning on.. it may be an android issue in relation to how it works with the moment. only the moment seems to have this complaint.

Journeyman

I got so frustrated with this ongoing problem that I quit!  I took my Moment back to the Sprint Store and cancelled the transaction.  Since it was still in my 30 day period they said they would reset my upgrade option.  I love the Moment, but I can't deal with this problem, I'll wait and see if the phone ever gets the needed upgrade.  If not I'll look at getting something else, meanwhile I went back to my BB Curve for now.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat