cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.0

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android 2.0

I'm very interested in knowing what Sprint's plan is on getting the Samsung Moment upgraded to Android 2.0

A competitor is coming out with a phone and it will already be set up with 2.0. I've read around the Web that the moment may not get it until Q2 of 2010 and that the Hero may get it sooner than that. I'm picking up my Moment on Sunday and I would like to know what the plan is. I would hate to have to wait so long for an update that some will have before the end of this year.

18 REPLIES 18
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Moment with Google

I too am very curious about the Samsung/Sprint's plans for updating the Moment to 2.0....Below is the reponse I got from Samsung, even after the HTC announcement Samsung won't even give us a "yes someday"...Might keep my Hero...At this point HTC has announced 2.0 for the Hero, but Samsung has said nothing abotu the Moment...

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your inquiry. We appreciate your interest in the Moment. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide information on this handset  as it may be inaccurate.

Once the Moment has been released, we will be able  to provide technical support.

Do you have more questions regarding your Samsung Mobile Phone? For 24 hour information and assistance, we offer our new FAQ/ARS System - Automated Response System.

We do thank you for your continued interest in Samsung products.

Sincerely,

Technical Support

Melissa

Journeyman

Found this yesterday...

http://www.gearlog.com/2009/10/sprint_android_blackberry_wind.php

Sprint executive David Owens sat down for a virtual chat on Sprint's Web site with consumers today, and updated folks with some good news about his carrier's plans.

• Google Android OS updates are coming for the HTC Hero and Samsung Moment. While he didn't specify a version - 1.6 or 2.0 - HTC has previously confirmed that they're working on an Android 2.0 update for the Hero.
  • Combination CDMA/GSM Android phones are also "a possibility but nothing this year."
  • They're considering an Android phone with a built-in MiFi-type router.
  • Android phones will get less expensive "as we see volume across the industry."...
Journeyman

finally somenthing for the moment. ok so 1 question  i didn't see no big deal abnout this phone>>>????? also no best buy early promotion or coupon? nothing with the hero i had everything ready coupon 3 days in advance I don't get it? is this not such a great device?

Journeyman

The Moment looks like a pretty good phone to me.  Especially when you compare it to all the other Android phones available (with the exception of the Droid.  But I'll get to that).

The Moment could've been a great phone but I think it was rushed to market to compete with the Cliq.  The common gripes in the reviews are rush-to-market symptoms.  The OS version.  The featureless camera app.  The shape/thickness.

Like just about everybody else I'd really like to get a Droid instead.  But since I'm not made of money I have to pass because of Verizon's outrageous plan prices.  So my strategy is to get the Moment and enjoy the slightly faster processor, qwerty keyboard, AMOLED screen, and Sprint's more realistic plan prices while I wait for a Droid on Sprint or T-Mobile.

Also I expect there's going to be a mad rush for the Droid and it could degrade Verizon's network.  Hero Mania has already died down quite a bit and there seems to be very little interest in the Moment so it looks like I'll be enjoying a more stable network as well

Journeyman

You spoke my mind too but here is my beef with choosing between Hero and Moment

HeroMoment
No keyboardNo clear path to software upgrade (Eclair 2.0).
Poor battery life (HTC sucks with their devices, I previously owned PPC 6700, Touch, Diamond)Poor support of their devices (I previously used Ace, i760)
Inferior feel of deviceAlthough solid, feels like a brick
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.0

i feel bad for sprint in a way. cause you said you read around that the moment wont get the update to 2.0 until Q2 2010? well 3.0 is post to be out mid 2010 ( link below )

http://phandroid.com/2009/02/25/android-30/

and in that little article you notice that 4.0 in 2011. so by time the moment updates we looking at 3.0 smh. so im hoping what you was reading is different by then. unless if it is true that gives sprint a reason to come with a new device to. so i mean it has it pros and cons. cause some people may want the moment and just want to update and not get a hol new phone.

and in the article below it says before 09 is over it should be one more update after 2.0( like a 2.1). and most likely in my opinion is that im thinking 2.0 devices that come with it installed will have a update to 3.0.

http://www.gsmdome.com/htc/htc-hero-to-receive-android-2-0-update-confirmed-via-twitter_10638

Journeyman

UniqueNate,

Did you notice the date on that first article?  Feb 2009...

I woudln't put too much faith into any *speculation* posted 9 months ago...

Journeyman

Newgeek,

I think you will see more push on this phone starting around the 12th of November, after the option to return all those Hero's that were purchased the first few days has expired.

I think this a definite possibility, especially considering all the bugs discovered with the Hero, Sprint doesn't need any additional "push" for us to return our Hero's.  I think they want to keep the whole Moment pretty low-key at the moment.  (I couldn't resist the pun)

Journeyman

+1 for Android 2.0!

Journeyman

I like the moment the way it is, weather it is 2.0 or whatever it is. It works fine the way it is.

Journeyman

Good luck if you purchase the Moment.  I purchased mine this past Monday and although there are things I like about it, it definately was rushed to release in my opinion.  I picked up the Hero and Moment (family plan) and having used both, even though the Hero has that sms battery bug which I fixed with handsent, it seems to be a lot more consistent in its operation.  For instance, bluetooth seems to reconnect to my Motorola headset and handsfree in my car each time.  My moment can't keep connected to my bt devices without constantly re-pairing them.  Also, the Moment doesn't presently support location based apps that use the cell towers for location info.  The Hero does support this which saves battery life.

In general, in my experience, the Hero has been more stable.  On my Moment, I've had to pull the battery twice to reset it.  The Hero is still going strong 4 days without locking up.  I have only added the sms app and Pandora to each phone so I wouldn't say its any app I've downloaded.

Your experience may vary but that is what I have observed so far.  And don't get me going about battery life on the moment or the way the gauges show 80% 5 minutes after its off the charger.  And yes it will die in 10 hours with no web surfing and only using Google mail sync services.

I plan to move back to a blackberry for now, at least it will stay on for a whole day.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat