cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.1 Major Battery Issues

Journeyman

Android 2.1 Major Battery Issues

Since upgrading to Android 2.1 I have developed the following battery issues:

1. Battery life is dropped from a couple of days (with no texting) to 3 hours. In 3 hours with no use, the battery was drained. Whether this is really a drained battery of a faulty program thinking the battery is drained, I don't know.
  2. The battery heats up quite a bit while the phone is just sitting there. Enough that I am concerned about it. This might also be why it drains so fast.It gets so hot that I'm afraid it will catch fire while its in my pocket. Sort of like those laptop batteries were doing a couple of years ago.

I'm seriously considering taking these Moments back.

Message was edited by: JohnP51

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.1 Major Battery Issues

Sounds like the problem we had last month with our ATT LG phones.  A faulty charger damaged my phone so that the battery would get hot and discharge almost immediately.  Then of course The Wife plugged her phone into that same charger overnight and melted the circuitboard.  So here we are at Sprint.

I hate to suggest that your phone is broke, but it does seem more likely than 2.1 telling your phone to self destruct.  Have you tried reinstalling 2.1 to see if that corrects your issue?

Journeyman

I had no battery issues at all with the previous version of Android. This problem occurs with both my Moment and with my wife's Moment. The exact same issue. We use different chargers as well. Something is running with 2.1 that is draining the heck out of the battery. I have all of the battery saving suggestions in play and have killed off some apps running in the background. I'll see if that helps any or if it isolates which app is killing my battery. The only apps we have are the ones that come with the Moment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

To clarify #2 above, the battery heats up even without the charger plugged in. I just turned the Moment off while it is being charged and the battery has cooled down. Something really bad is going on here.

Journeyman

I had Battery life issues with the Moment with Andriod 1.5 installed, after upgrading to Andriod 2.1 the Battery life was not improved. I than installed Advanced Task Killer and configured it to close applications as needed. Battery life increased, the next thing I did was remove my POP email configurations, I configured my Google E-mail to pull all my other pop mail accounts, and configured google mail app on the phone (Which uses push technology). Battery Life is now 4 - 5 times longer than then before any of the upgrades.

I have noticed the battery heat up but only when I am low signal areas or no signal areas (inside some buildings), it appears as the Moment tries to regain connectivity and fails the Battery heats up as connectivity is being maintained, I don't know if it is by design or the system is attempting to boost signal power. During these times Battery life again becomes almost nothing. If I switch the phone to Airplane mode and when I leave that environment turn off airplane mode battery life is maintained and the Moment Battery compartment is cool.

Journeyman

I went through and killed nearly everything and that solved my problem. My battery life is back to normal and no longer heats up. It makes you wonder if Sprint ever tested 2.1 or not with all the battery complaints I see on the boards.

Journeyman

Dont you think that Samsung  , or Sprint should  do soemthing about the problem , its not right that we have to go through this we paid a lot of money  for these phones ,.and the problem should be taken care of ,

what can we do if anything , its still not right

Journeyman

As i see it , its not our problem its , up to sprint or

Samsung  to corect the problem they should have a recall on the phones , just like everyone else does whe something is not right , it could cause a fire then what , is it going to hurt someone ,

Sprint , andSamsung  do something about your phones , im really not happy to have all the problems i depend on my phone  for everything .

Some one Please help us ...............................................

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat