cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Version 2.2 for Samsung Moment

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android Version 2.2 for Samsung Moment

So the official Sprint "tweet" says we will not get Android 2.2, which is much better than version 2.1 in many ways.

The Motorola Droid will get 2.2, even though the Moment has a faster processor, so SHOULD be able to handle the same software, right?

WHAT GIVES??  I'm thoroughly upset that Sprint/Samsung won't work to update a phone I just bought in MAY. They were released NOT EVEN A YEAR AGO. WHO is responsible for creating an update for the phone? Sprint? Samsung?

I'M STUCK with a 2yr contract- and NOTHING will be done to keep my phone "current" for the next 21 months?! Disgusting.

Tags (2)
41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android Version 2.2 for Samsung Moment

Yeah well this is typical Sprint scam. They sell the phone, dont support it, then dont fix any of the problems in the software they released and then abandon the phone completely.

So far in version 2.1 I have had the following features problems:

1. horrible battery life
  2. slower interface
  3. phone rings 3 times before showing caller ID
  4. "unapproved battery" notifications with the original OEM battery that it came with
  5. txt messages arriving out of order
  6. signal indicator doesnt know what the hell its doing
  7. poor signal reception
  8. cant playback wav files
  9. wi-fi turns on randomly even though its disabled
  10. force close on moxi mail even though it is not in focus or in use
  11. not able to uninstall sh1t-ware like the NFL, Amazon MP3, Nascar apps which load in the background

To hear that 2.2 isnt going to be released on this phone is nothing short of typical and disgusting business practice. They are lucky I havent filed class action yet. If you would like to join a possible class action lawsuit against sprint/samsung. Add in to this post maybe Sprint will actually listen to customers, wake up Dan Hesse.

This phone is an epic failure.

Highlighted
Wizard

I'm not a phone technician; however, I doubt Android Version 2.2 would fix the problems you mentioned.  On the other hand, just because Sprint does not support a certain operating system on your phone, that doesn't mean you can't install it yourself.  If you really want Froyo, then nothing can stop you from installing it.  You purchased the phone, you can install/delete whatever you want.  This process is typically called "rooting".  The only drawback is that Sprint doesn't support it.  I hope you enjoy Android 2.2 on your Samsung Moment!

Highlighted
Journeyman

post link on hacked firmware. Otherwise you have no idea what the fck you are talking about. You probably dont even own this phone so you have no clue what im going through.

Sprint doesnt support their phones anyways so who gives a sht.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I do own this phone. Although the Droid processor is slower, it is a newer processor that supports more of the features in 2.2. One of the main improvements,full flash, according to Adobe will not work on the moments processor. There have been several arguments about this, but the fact remains, adobe says it does not support our processor. There are a few other fixes in 2.2, but if you are running a custom rom, they ported alot of the ones that are compatible already.

A full 2.2, that works and is not buggy, so far is not available. Probably won't happen till after the intercept gets its upgrade.

As far as support for phones, all companies do the same. I have heard the droid is becoming eol soon as well as other phones at other companies. That is one of the problems with open source, development can outpace hardware by quite a bit. I agree the moment has poor design and implementation. I think they were in a rush to get a phone out and did not meet quality standards. This is obvious in the fact that the processor contains hardware 3d capability and samsung did not include the drivers for this phone or any of their android phones that had the processor. It was however included in their winmobile phones. There is a project going now to write the drivers for the moment, to call them pre alpha is an understatement. It will come though.

All updates and fixes will come from the community not sprint or samsung. There are many boards out there and some of the problems some of you have, have work arounds that decrease the problems, including data lockup. GPS is an ongoing issue that seems mainly related to hardware problems.

Just lookup sdx, samdroid, androidforums. SDX being one of the better.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually, I'm using 2.2 on my Moment and it works just fine. The JIT compiler gives you a big speed increase and being able to underclock the CPU when I'm not using the phone results in a pretty nice battery life bump. I'm using the forcystos 3.0.8 recovery with joeykrim root v7 and the Radioactive FroYo 1.8.11 ROM (and yeah, you can Google all of those). Maybe you should try using Google before you mouth off to other forum posters, eh?

Highlighted
Wizard

I'm on my third Moment, which I have to reboot about 4 times per day.  I'm just grinding it out until my 12 months is up.

Kindly consider this link concerning rooting your phone:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/193391#193391

Highlighted
Journeyman

Noob's 1.8.11 is still 2.1. Admitted, a hybrid with 2.2 components. I am running it as well, works great. Hoping they get the new samdroid jit figured out to keep it from crashing. The biggest upgrade I appreciated from noob is the new RIL that resets when cdma locks up. I have had no UAD since this update.Can't wait till they get the 3d drivers and multitouch figured out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh please, dont give me that holy-er than thou art crap. I am fully aware that there is a substantial amount of hacked firmware out there.

I should not have to hack a new phone simply because the manufacturer and service provider released a shoddy firmware, and completely disregards any user feedback and doesnt release a patch at least, let alone an update to 2.2.

Should you have to hack/mod the computer in your car simply because the manufacturer released an update to fix the acceleration system but f*cked up something in the brake pedal system?

The end-users should not be the ones shouldering the cost, time, bricking risk to fix problems introduced by the same company that they are paying on a monthly basis. Im happy you have no issue paying for a firmware failure, im not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@kutz

Well then it looks like you're in a bit of a predicament then aren't you? Sprint is not going to support or release Android 2.2 for the Moment, plain and simple. So you have two choices:

1. Whine like a toddler about your toy not working the way you want.

2. Grow up and learn how to take control of your phone, and install a custom rom for the device. It's not THAT hard, you can even use the sprint updater utility to do it.

So what are you going to choose? Otherwise, shut up complaining and go back to 4chan.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Phefner well said

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint seems more intent on gathering new customers than supporting its existing customer base.  I don't have a lot of issues with my Moment BUT because it was an early Android phone for Sprint and it has it's issues, it would be a show of support for those of us who took the plunge to make 2.2 available for us AND/OR give us the ability to upgrade to a superior phone without penalty and with a cost offset similar to that available to a new customer or someone who has reached their free upgrade anniversay.  This could easily be done and it would not cause Sprint any grief.   It would however show in the real world that Sprint cares about it's existing customers.  (We won't discuss here that even if I were to upgrade to one of the 4G phones with superior hardware, 4G is only available in some of the smaller and less-populated areas of Southern California and not in the Los Angeles area so I couldn't take advantage of 4G anyhow.  Thus at least having an improved OS would make this an easier pill to swallow)

I have been with Sprint 13 years, and at times like this when my phone is not all that it should have been and Sprint does nothing but offer new and better phones that I cannot purchase without considerable expense - at times like this I question the value of my loyalty.

However I did get a $5.00 anniversary reward last month.  Wow!  My monthly bill is in excess of $200.00, so after giving Sprint over $2500.00 this year I get a $5.00 offset to next month's bill.  I hope this generous gift does not create a problem for Sprint's bottom line!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat