cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antenna repair that dramatically improves battery life?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Antenna repair that dramatically improves battery life?

I am posting this question because a possible fix for battery life problems was addressed deep in another thread and had gotten little response. (Here is the original thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/167485#167485 )

User des1157 reported that he had terrible battery life (2-3 hours) on his Moment and brought it to a store in Wichita KS where the tech opened the phone, re-soldered the antenna lead and put it back together in less than 20 minutes. Apparently this resulted in a dramatic increase in battery life (60% left after 12 hours of use). He posted the location of the store, and I independently looked them up on the Sprint store locator, called them and spoke to one of their repair techs. She confirmed that that they had performed the repair on multilple Samsung Moments and that it had largely resolved the battery life issues. She also told me that any tech at a Sprint corporate repair center should be able to find this fix on their "CE Website" - as it is a "known issue" with the phone.

I called two different repair centers here in CA and neither had heard of this repair, and both said they do not do repairs that require soldering. (They only replace modular components that can be plugged and unplugged inside the phone.) One thought he had heard about this "CE Website" but said it was not something they used or had access to. I have also googled this and searched at multiple Moment user forums and found not a word about this issue.

SO, has anyone else HAD this repair or even HEARD of it?

Does anyone near Wichita KS want to go to the store on North Rock Road and get it done and report back?

I have been on forums for this phone just about daily since I got it in November and this is the very first time I have heard of this despite reading hundreds of posts about battery life. If this fix really works it seems worth looking into...

Message was edited by: DrGibberish

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Antenna repair that dramatically improves battery life?

That doesnt sound too far fetched considering if your phone is actively seeking a signal, it will drain the battery faster. I've never heard of anyone else getting that done though

Journeyman

I thought the same thing as my battery life problems have a definite pattern related to signal strength. My work has lousy coverage and my battery life is terrible there (maybe 4-5 hours just sitting next to me on the desk unused.) However, when I am at home on the weekend, my phone lasts maybe 50% longer and I have great coverage at my house.

Anyhow, I sure would like to see if anyone else has had this done. The tech at that store treated it like it was the most routine thing in the world when I asked about it.

Message was edited by: DrGibberish

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, the original poster des1157, put a response on the original thread and I just want to paste it here so others following this could see it:

So, you confirmed the fix with the tech here locally in Wichita! I have  confirmed it did indeed correct the issue with my phone regarding the  battery life and the Google map locations! Sounds to me like Sprint has  not been good about getting the known issues out to all it's techs or  the techs in some areas have not taken heed to the issue and not  addressing the concerns regarding a product of the company they work for  and gain livelyhood from. The issue needs to be posted by Sprint as  being a known issue and provide the corresponding fix. I, like you, had  been all over the internet looking for some type of corrective action!  Hopes were on the 2.1 update (another area Sprint seems to be lacking in  getting a release out to their product owners) fixing the issue. Truth  is, the update might help but is not the total issue with the draining  batteries! Maybe you should contact the local tech once again and  request he post the fix for the public and his counterpart techs. I  cannot tell you how ecstatic I am now with the life span on my battery. I  get up at 4:00 am and do not plug it in again until 11:00 pm (only  because it is bedtime)! Absolutely no more issues with the battery life.  What really gets me is that there are so many owners out there  complaining of the same issue and Sprint is not actively providing the  known issues and fixes for the Samsung Moment. I can honestly say, next  time I get a new phone, it will be with someone else simply due to  Sprint lack of customer support! The bugs and complaints on the Samsung  Moments phone could have been overted with good communication from  Sprint on the fixes and timely releases of the firmware update to  correct the known software issues. Instead, they chose to ignore their  customer's complaints and drive on with a lax attitude about making  fixes available to them. They still have not posted the 2.1 release and  refuse to provide a date on when to expect. This attitude will not save  them customers but will cost them dearly!

I still am wondering if anyone else in the Witchita area could get this fix and report, or see if any other store is able to do it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I bought FOUR Moments in January for my family.

One had battery life of a couple hours, we returned it and the new phone is better, lasts most of a day.

One lasts all day. Another lasts 6-8 hours.

Mine lasts about 4-6 hours IF I DO NOT USE IT AT ALL. Less than a couple hours if I talk, browse, navigate.

I cannot believe, in my case, that this is an antenna problem, as my hospital has a tower on the roof, and we put an AirRave in our house, so I am getting 5 bars all the time.

I went to my sprint store last month and they replaced the battery. No help.

I went back again last week, he told me to wait for the Droid 2.1.

Why they expect that to fix anything is beyond me, since just in the four phones I have in my family, all with the same updates, we have wildly different battery lives.

I have a friend that does manufacturig in China who tells me when things go off the rails, they have defect rates of 15% or more. That is MY explanation for what is going on. And I would like  a refund or replacement for the real lemon I have.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Interestingly the person who first posted this and got the dramatically improved battery life, also said that he did not have any obvious problems with reception, so who knows.

I want to report that I had a more detailed dsicussion with the tech in the Wichita store this morning and she said that they did NOT  re-solder the antenna connection. Just re-seated it on the board inside the phone. It apparently gets loose or is not installed correctly to begin with on a lot of them, and simply seating it more firmly helps the antenna but may also help the battery life as a secondary effect. She actually gave me a website on the sprint intranet that explains how to make this fix. We cannot reach this from the outside, but apparently sprint techs should be able to go to:

http://pfb.lab.sprint.com/pfb/forum/showthread.php?t=6884&highlight=antenna&page=4

and find a description of the problem and how to make the fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I took that URL to the Sprint store Friday night and the service tech didn't want to try doing it. He was eager to read the post on the Sprint intranet board but wanted to wait to speak with a regional rep before doing anything. I didn't get to read too much over his shoulder but it didn't sound too complicated, maybe he just wasn't a circuit-board-level guy?

Anyway, all he did was "refresh" the phone. When I got home I had all bars showing on my phone where I normally get one, or none, but no data at all. After restartnig the phone my reception went back tot he way it was. I guess I'll find out more when I go back Thursday after he has spoken with his boss, but has anyone else tried this since the original post 3 weeks ago? What did this guy do that improved my reception "momentarily"?

Thanks

Matt

Highlighted
Journeyman

About 10 days ago I did the Android 2.1 upgrade and it has been a miracle for my phone. It easily lasts an entire day, even streaming pandora a couple hours at work!

OTOH, it did not help my daughter's phone and made my wife's worse!

Good luck!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat