Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps starting on their own.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Apps starting on their own.

I have the task killer for my moment.

I have to kill apps every couple of hours because apps start running without me turning them on.

Is there a setting that i can click so that my apps dont run without me turning them on first?

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: Apps starting on their own.

Unfortunately no.  Android's designed to allow applications to take a chunk of background processing for their needs at any time.  Even if you never ran the app (NFL Mobile is in my background when I start the Moment... and I hate football.)  The only way to completely assure that a program doesn't use background processing is to uninstall it if possible.  (Even if you bought the app, it will be listed in your marketplace permanently... just visit "My Downloads", select the app and download it again when you need it.  If you uninstall a free app, it disappears from the My Downloads list.  Just search for it again to get it back.)  Some apps that came with the phone, such as Moxier Mail and Nuance cannot be removed, however.

You have some choices on those task killer programs, though... and there are some task killer apps that are trashy and will make you have to restart your device to be able to use it once more.  "Advanced Task Manager Free" and "ASTRO" are ones I'd recommend giving a spin if you haven't already (either/or).  Advanced Task Manager Free has a Widget shortcut that automatically kills background apps with one touch.  It also comes with a paid bigger brother (Advanced Task Manager) that does the same thing, but you can schedule it on a regular basis, such as every 30 minutes or every 4 hours.  Be warned that with any auto-killing apps you run the risk that it may also shutdown apps or processes that your phone is using for call control, notification, or even for the phone signal.  The problem is easy enough to fix: either be patient and wait for the service to restore itself, or just restart your phone if it doesn't come back to normal in 2-4 minutes.

Every Android phone has this as a issue, and Samsung Moment has just as bad as the Hero does... I used ATM Free on my Hero (before I returned it) and it regularly took out 12-15 apps, whereas Moment would end anywhere from 21-30 apps.  Of course, take that with a grain of salt: Hero has less overall memory than the Moment, so technically the Moment can run more apps in the background with less issue than the Hero can.  But if left alone, it can make your phone sluggish and drain battery life if your Browser window is constantly open with a Flash-and-AJAX-heavy site (Yahoo's non-mobile homepage for example) and using 24MB of device memory for 8 hours straight.

Message was edited by: nacho2k3

Journeyman

You are so right I Uninstalled "youMail"  and the "aTakephONE "  found out they was most of my problems with the Moment THEY DRAIN THE BATTERY Big Time . Both nice applications but Power Management needs to be addressed on each of the applications. So I'm back using the Stock Voice mail and the Dialer and its just fine for now

Journeyman

Glad to help!

There may be alternate apps available that aren't so power-hungry.  Try searching for an app that does the same thing, you might find one with the functionality you need and the power conservation you want.  (eg. Seesmic kept draining my device down to 1/8th of a bar every work shift, so I uninstalled that and put on Swift instead... when you leave the program, it exits the application and you don't get updated tweets, but I can still use Twitter when I feel like it.  May not be for everyone, but it works for me.)

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat