ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Running Tasks and Apps in the Background! Help!

Journeyman

Auto-Running Tasks and Apps in the Background! Help!

I have the Moment and love it. From th very start, one of the first apps that I downloaded was the 'TasKiller' so that I could easily multitask through the open tasks and apps, while at the same time giving me the ability to close the programs that I am not using (to free up space and keep it running FAST).

But now all of a sudden (this was not happening initially), random programs keep opening in the background! My phone bogs down and I check the TasKiller to see what's running, and there will be 10-15 programs that I never opened!

Then I close all of them out, and immediately go back into TasKiller, I'll see that one of them has opened back up... and then another, and then another, and then another................ Random programs in random order (programs that I have yet to use, or ones that I have used once and never used again) begin to open and run in the background.

Can anyone please help me? This is getting VERY annoying! My phone goes from FAAAAST to crawling in less than 2mins now.

Yes, I have restarted the phone. Yes, I have taken out the battery. No, the TasKiller is not causing the problems. Any ideas? How to I wipe this phone back to its original state?

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Auto-Running Tasks and Apps in the Background! Help!

Uninstall taskiller and restart your phone. Android is not windows and doesn't need a task killer. Apps don't use the processor unless they are services and most apps arent services. They take up memory in a stack, but they are cleared by the os automagically when you need memory back. Oh, killing apps on Android by hand is bad because running apps can depend on other apps. These apps stay in memory to keep it running fast.

Message was edited by: knaveofspades

Journeyman

I'm sorry, but I do not think that's right.

Like I said, the problem is not killing these things, it is the fact that they are opening by themselves... TONS of them, of every kind, completely random. My email opens, gmail opens, some other preset email opens, voice control, voicemail, contacts, the 'Where' app, voice recording app, notepad, yellowbook, instant messenger, and more... they all open by themselves, and I haven't even used half of them. Many of them (once open) ARE services as you can tell. How do I stop this? It's still getting worse.

The TasKiller is the only thing allowing me to keep my phone manageable.Every time I wake it up, I have to FIRST clear the apps, and THEN can use the phone.

Journeyman

Some apps like Twidroid are set to load automatically. I don't really have much more advice to offer on this, except that my battery drain and system lag has improved since getting the task killer app. I'd have to see some pretty significant data to decide to stop using it.

Journeyman

I noticed the same thing after shutting down apps. I have no idea how to shut down a simple app like flashlight when I'm done with it and go back to the menu.

To answer your question, I notice that when you download an app from the Android Marketplace, it gives you an alert (and lists specifics) just before downloading that the app uses other applications and services. I assume then that most apps and functions within Android call upon APIs to launch their functionality.

Journeyman

Okay, which types of programs are opening up?

Android apps work on a notification system. For example, an alarm clock app doesn't run all the time. If you set an alarm, the app puts in a request for the OS to activate the section of the app that sets off the alarm at the time you set the alarm for then, when you leave the app, it will be placed on a stack in memory in case you want to go back to it. When the time comes, the os will call on the section of the alarm app that makes the alarm go off. If you look in a task manager after the alarm goes off, it will look like the whole alarm app is open and working when it's really not. The OS just ran that section of code for the alarm and popped it into memory to be cleaned up later. Other apps, such as timed email checks work in the same manner. It is a possibility that you have a lot of programs requesting frequent updates from the OS so it is opening up sections of the App, running the code and then pushing them into memory. You should look at the apps themselves that are opening up and not taskiller or the OS. Android doesn't really do that much multi-tasking. It just give the user the illusion that it is running a million apps at once.

Message was edited by: knaveofspades

Journeyman

Ok, I solved my own problem.

First, yesterday I went back to the Sprint store to have them reset my phone... clearing out everything (just in case).

Then I went back through and only added a few of the previously installed apps, giving plenty of time between each to see if they would create problems.

Today, I downloded one particular widget that I had before I did the reset, and minutes later, EVERYTHING was randomly was opening up and slowing my phone down to a crawl.

FYI, it was the Fox News widget. Needless to say, I got rid of it.

Stay away, just use the shortcut to the website foxnews.mobi if you need to. Because the widget is TROUBLE.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat