cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Issue after 2.1 upgrade

Journeyman

Battery Issue after 2.1 upgrade

About a week ago, I took in my Moment to Sprint had it upgraded to 2.1.  Ever since then the battery life has been reduced by >50%.  I have to charge it at least a couple of times a day.  I went into settings and set everything to maximize battery life like I had before 2.1. But it does not help.  When I open Advanced Task Killer, I notice that a lot of programs are open in the background even though I have not opened the programs  Programs like Alrm Clock, Sprint Navigation, MP3 Store, Sprint Football, and about another 8-12 more applications.  When I kill them, they just reopen in the background within 5 minutes.  I assume this is causing the battery drain and the lag in speed.  Anyone else having a similar problem?  Anyone know how to fix the problem?  I would appreciate any help.

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Battery Issue after 2.1 upgrade

Yes, I have the same issue.  Once I killed apps under 1.5, they seemed to stay dead.  However, under 2.1, they come back continuously, no matter which checkboxes are chosen via ATK.

This has the result of draining the battery and (perhaps) slowing down the responsiveness when moving between screens.

I'm not sure if this is something that ATK needs to upgrade or Samsung, or Google.  Any ideas?

Journeyman

I upgraded from 1.5 to 2.1 last friday morning. Used my back up pro from market to back up my files. Went through motions from pdf files from sprint to prep my phone and computer for 2.1 update. I had no initial problems on upgrade. However, later on that day and next few days battery was constantly draining because the sync symbol was constantly on throughout the day. I talked to sprint rep and they gave me no info on what to do besides my common sense. They sent me a replacement phone. I told them I wanted to do one more thing before that. I did a master reset on phone. Removed my sd card prior. Reinstalled using Backup pro software. I didn't restore the calander and contacts from that program. Google automatically does that. And after installed all my data and applications had no problems with the battery issue. I did same for other moment phone that I own and no problems there. The problems probably are there but try a master reset after upgrading to 2.1 prior to installing or restoring any programs to moment. This may help.

Journeyman

Also on the replacement phone issue. I read the fine print and it states that if I would have returned to sprint a phone that didnt have a problem I would have been charged $75 for doing that. So I called them and had the ok to send replacement phone in mailer included in box they sent to me. Always look at the fine print.

Journeyman

Hello all

When i applied 2.1 to my phone i was having battery drain issues as well. The problem is not really the phone it is the sprint preinstalled apps. With 2.1 sprint made these apps startup in the background more aggressively. In 1.5 u could kill them with a task killer and they would not startup for hours but in 2.1 u kill them and they come back within 5 minutes.

My friend was having the same issues and he opted to root and remove the preinstalled apps and he has never looked back. He is a serious power user always online, he runs pandahome 2 so he can have 7 screens with live wallpaper and he has 2 widgets per screen. He is getting about 14 hours of battery life after removing the preinstalled apps.

He is says rooting is just as easy as upgrading to 2.1 on the computer. He is trying to get me to root so he let me barrow his phone. i got his phone at 8am it is now 3:45 pm and i'm trying to run it into the ground. i Have been online using wifi, playing all of his games, opening his apps and playing with them i have not left this phone alone for a minute, and the battery is only at 85%. So if it lasts as long as he says or even close to it. which im sure it will im rooting my phone and getting these power sucking apps off my phone. Hope all of u do the same.......

go to sdx-developers.com to get info on rooting

Journeyman

alright it has been 12 hours since i have had the phone and 13 and a half hours since my friend says he unplugged from charger. I have ran this fun hard, not letting it even go in stand by playing with apps/games, going online thru wifi for hours straight. im even posting this right now from the phone. The battery has just gone to red/13% battery life left frow my widget reading. This is incredible With my unrooted moment and very minimal use and killing apps evry 20 min, i usually get maybe 6 to 8 hours. with 13 plus hours of use getting rid of sprint preinstalled apps thru root seems the way to go.

A tech guy i talked to said its sammy's fault that the moment has a short battery life. I have just proved him wrong because it is obviously sprints fault. I have called sprint tech support and filled a complaint, i'm now gonna email sprint as well.

Journeyman

I've been noticing that the battery drains out a lot.  I've noticed that it seems to drain out a lot just while idling with the screen off.

I used to charge my phone about every 2 days, and it would still have 50% power after those 2 days as well, it'd be 70 - 80% or soemtimes even 90% if it was just a period of time with real light use.  It seems like I'm going to have to keep a charger handy with me and get power everywhere I go now (which I hate doing).

When I left my phone last night (it was not charging because I just wanted to see how much power it would lose), it had 60% power.  When I woke up this morning, it was at 15%.  So it lost 45% power with the screen off last night doing nothing.

When I went to Battery use, under About Phone in the Settings, I see that Cell standby and Phone idle acount for over 50% of the battery usage.  That is just crazy.  Does anyone think that this is a tradeoff to making the phone more responsive?  or is it just bad design in the 2.1 upgrade?

I'm just not sure, I mean I have noticed that the phone is a lot more responsive, but it does seem like it's a heavy price to pay.

Journeyman

What is rooting and how do you do it?

Journeyman

Rooting means getting root access to the OS on the phone.  There are loads of google hits out there that can explain it, ultimately it gives you greater control over what the OS can do and run, but it isn't without risks, so the key is to be very careful and be SURE you can pull it off without bricking your device.

Highlighted
Journeyman

What are the names of the pre-installed apps that he removed?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat