cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth and handsfree / headset issues

Journeyman

Bluetooth and handsfree / headset issues

Hello, is anyone else having inconsistent results with connecting/reconnecting with their car handsfree or bluetooth headsets.  I seem to have no problem pairing the moment with either Prius bluetooth handsfree or Motorola H700 bluetooth headset but for the life of me, the phone won't reconnect reliabliably.  On the moment in the bluetooth settings, it will even show that is connected but it won't reconnect automatically.  I end up getting it to work by usually power cycling the phone or shutting off the car or headset.

On another aside, has anyone seen similar behavior on the Hero?  With all the problems this phone is having, I am presently playing with the Hero but havent had a chance to test the bluetooth features.

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Bluetooth and handsfree / headset issues

Yup.  It has some issues connecting with Bluetooth.  Documented, duplicated and a fix is in progress.  No ETA.

A side note - you're using up your memory each time you restart the phone with the bluetooth in a 'connecting' state.  Also known issue, fix in the works.

If you go to Menu- Settings - SD Card and Phone Storage, you''ll be able to see your current phone storage space.  Once it gets below, say 20MB, you're getting close to having a problem.  A hard reset / factory reset will free the memory up.

Search this site for more info on Bluetooth and Memory Leak.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

tkascak wrote:

Hello, is anyone else having inconsistent results with connecting/reconnecting with their car handsfree or bluetooth headsets.  I seem to have no problem pairing the moment with either Prius bluetooth handsfree or Motorola H700 bluetooth headset but for the life of me, the phone won't reconnect reliabliably.  On the moment in the bluetooth settings, it will even show that is connected but it won't reconnect automatically.  I end up getting it to work by usually power cycling the phone or shutting off the car or headset.

On another aside, has anyone seen similar behavior on the Hero?  With all the problems this phone is having, I am presently playing with the Hero but havent had a chance to test the bluetooth features.

I have the Hero.  What I've been doing is once paired I turn on my headset, then turn my bluetooth on my phone on.  So far that's worked for me,  I have a Jabra BT530

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is one of my issues too.  I have an 04 Prius and this is my 4th phone with it.  I started with the i605 Nextel which was mostly unusable and unreliable with the bluetooth.  Then a Sanyo phone which worked great and more recently the Motorola V950 which also worked great.

The Moment paired right up but is very unreliable in connecting on each trip in the car.  Once in a while it connects itself within a couple minutes (never right away like all the other phones did).  Sometimes I can get it to connect if I turn BT off and back on.  Sometimes it will connect when I enable discorvery (why isn't there an option to leave discoverable on?).  But not always.  Sometimes I cannot get it to connect at all.

I have heard that Android 1.5 cupcake has some problems with the BT so I am curious to see how other versions work.

I was able to pair it fine with a Motorola S9 headphone and it worked for both music and calls (A2DP and headset profiles).  I haven't tried reconnecting to see if it will work.

I have had spurious results transfering contacts from my V950.  Sometimes it won't connect at all.  Once I got half my contacts transfered before it hung up.  Sometimes it will work fine for a single contact and other times it won't work it all.

I think the common thread in the bluetooth problems is connecting.  Sometimes it just doesn't.

Again, the bluetooth handsfree in the car is important enough that I need it to work before I decide to keep the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

And you can't use bluetooth to listen to voicemail in visual voicemail. What a bummer. I hope that gets fixed too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's the kind of annoying bug I could live with but I haven't got that far as the bluetooth is so unreliable it is unusable.  I did some more tests with the S9 headset and after some fiddling I was able to get it to connect again.  I used it for a while then turned it off for lunch.  After lunch I couldn't get it to reconnect at all no matter what I tried (I didn't try deleting it and re-pairing it).

I also need to downgrade my previous statement that it works fine once it finally connects.  I had a connection in the car the other day and a call came in.  I answered it on the car and the car display showed it was in a phone call but the audio was still using the phone and not the bluetooth.  Even though they both said it was connected and the car could answer the phone and it showed the signal strength and digital signal indications.

With any device it seems that sometimes it connects, sometimes you can fiddle with the settings (turn on/off, connect, discoverable) to get it to connect and sometimes it will never connect.  And when connected it may or may not function properly.  This is true now for Headset, Handsfree and A2DP profiles as well as whatever it uses to transfer contacts between phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had this exact problem when I had the Hero.  I exchanged it for the Moment before my 30 day period was up.  Since then I've had no issues with the bluetooth automatically connecting to the Sony XPLOD unit in my car via bluetooth.  I was never able to come up with a solution when I owned the Hero other than turning the head unit off in the car or disabling/re-enabling bluetooth on the phone.  Good luck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Plantronics 8XX pairs just fine, but I sometimes have a problem getting it to connect. Music listening through it sucks too. The supplied wired headset works pretty well playing music, it also will answer a phone call that will automatically wake up the phone. However, pushing the button to activate a call doesn't, so I have to first wake up the phone and unlock the screen to get it to work. This is too much--there should be some way to wake it up to make it handsfree with a push of the little button on the headset. It should also be made to work with a BT headset too. I know that's an OS issue, but I hope Android fixes that soon. Nuance doesn't recognize my daughter's name when I command it. Lots of little bugs, but they are really irritating. Its a great phone for messaging texting etc. Need to have the Holidays in the calendar. Also a setting for every two weeks for repetitious events

Message was edited by: Stoney62

Highlighted
Journeyman

There ought to be a Soft reset button of some sort to free up the memory/close any applications that are freezing the phone etc. Doing a hard reset with the resulting having to reinstall everything seems to be a little over kill to free up memory.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since my first bluetooth phone that supported stereo bluetooth (the Fusic) I've been through a lot of experimentation with headsets and handsets.  What I finally found is that the specific manufacturers implementation of the bluetooth stack does vary greatly.  The LG Music was very good, the Samsung Instinct was also very good while a phone the Sanyo (I think the nickname was deluxe) was awful.  My experience with the Moment has been excellent so far.  I listen to either music or podcasts in the car through bluetooth or at my desk on a stereo bluetooth headset most of the day.  I am always connected in the car, then switch to my headset after leaving the car.   I've had no problems with the Moment switching from car unit to headset.  So  far the best sound quality I've had is with the Jabra BT3030 headset.  It is a "dog tag" style that hangs around your neck.  Not the most stylish but also gives the advantages of better battery life,  the ability to use any headset you want as well as the comfort of not having something hanging on your ear all day.  It comes with a set of course, but they simply plug into the standard jack on the "dog tag" so if you have others you like better, you're not stuck with them.  Just remember to read lots of reviews before buying a stereo bluetooth headset if you're (as I am) interested in sound quality.

So far the stereo bluetooth experience can't duplicate the quality of a good wired headset, but it's very, very close with the right combination of hardware.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about stereo bluetooth - I've been through the ringer trying to get the best set up for myself.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had some problems with the Samsung Moment and bluetooth audio connections as well.

I'd get it paired fine, but would not automatically re-connect to another bluetooth device even though the Samsung would show a device as properly paired.

Using the following procedure, the bluetooth connects every time so far to a motorola t505 hand free car speakerphone.

Might work for you.

For motorokr t500:

• Enable Bluetooth on Samsung Moment
  • Delete any old paired devices
  • Power up motorola t505
  • Clear old bluetooth device list on t505
  • Make Samsung discoverable, then scan for devices
  • Enter 0000 for pin

Bluetooth connects automatically every time now when both devices are powered down and restarted.

Will be a great phone if Android software update enables BT voice dialing, like I had with the Razr phone . Hands free voice dial is a must when on the road.

Message was edited by: jrolson

12-02-09 - Bluetooth is back to requiring a manual connect after powering down overnight and recharging.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, you can listen to your voicemail in the bluetooth headset. I do.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat