cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth

Highlighted
Patron

Bluetooth

Why can't we hear call announcements on the bluetooth?

Why can't we place calls using the bluetooth?  That's the whole purpose behind handsfree!!

21 REPLIES 21
Journeyman

Re: Bluetooth

I could not believe this either when I tried using the bluetooth to make an outgoing call. I had unfortunately been using the Rumor prior to getting the Moment and did not have the ability to dial by voice command at all on it. However every phone that I have had with Bluetooth prior to the Rumor had the ability to use voice command through the headset. Needles to say I was shocked when I hit the button on my headset and was not prompted to say a command. The only thing I can do from the headset is answer calls or press the button twice to redial the last called number. This needs to be updated soon as it is unacceptable to have a phone with so many capabilities but not be able to use the bluetooth to dial a handsfree call.

Patron

I agree with you.

I had the Instinct prior to this and I loved that feature.

Patron

I had the Instinct too and I also loved that feature.

I sure hope that we get that soon.

Journeyman

I agree with you all.  I had the Instinct before getting the Moment.  I liked the voice command.  Why have a good thing and make a new phone and not add the things that worked on the phones before it.  It is not like they had to invent the stuff.

Journeyman

From what I've read, this needs to be something handled in the intelligence of the bluetooth headset itself for the immediate future (i.e. blueant).  Android in its present state doesn't seem to allow the functionality, though the bluetooth API is supposedly released in Android 2.0.

Even if buying an intelligent headset, i doubt if you'll be able to do anything other than have the number of the person calling you announced through the headset, or dial anything but speed dials or by number.  Name recognition through bluetooth just doesn't seem to be there yet for android...

Someone correct me if wrong.

All that said..have hope.  Early versions of windows mobile didn't support voice dialing through bluetooth, and folks in the community figured out how to change registry settings that would make the "talk" button on the headset both open the audio gateway to the device, and activate the voice command app so you could voice dial through bluetooth just like the native app.  I assume a program could be written or a hack could be published that would enable the same.

Speak of the devil: http://code.google.com/p/android-bluetooth/

It appears there is a project to backport the API to sub 2.0 devices, which should allow voice dialing if a clever programmer figures out how to enable it.  If you look at the "update" tab of the above link - you can see the code is being worked fairly actively.

Journeyman

I agree one hundred percent. i am so irritated at such a blunder. here we are at this day and age. as a truck driver, i have to fumble my touch screen which is sensitive to begin and unlock the phone, delicately touch several screens while im driving to be able to dial a "new" number to reach a shipper for pick up  or delivery. such a darn shame. Prior to this i had a Razor v3 for 3 years under another cell co. and had no problems as long as i spoke clearly into n expensive bt with noise reduction... had no problems. now i either return a cell phone i just purchased and flash my old phone with a local co or these people need to get of their rears and solve this problem. this response comes after speaking with sprint tech, who escalated the problem, still no response, plantronics who passed the buck to samsung and samsung who was supposed to get back with me withing 3 working days. this was 2 weeks ago getting tired of the run around. Joey

Journeyman

sprint employee?.....i really dont think so. There's a reason its called a smart phone. all these dumb apps and cant get a simple program to drag/shift into bluetooth command. the phone comes with "nuance" which is the software that has been used for years. come on man give me a better explanation

Journeyman

i would like to reemphasize the "bummer" feeling about the Bluetooth NOT activating Voice Control commands. i just purchased this samsung moment 4 days ago, after having the instinct, and i have been fooling with it constantly since. i love all the apps. and widgets, and all of the capabilities within this phone, EXCEPT, the Bluetooth issue(s): 1) does NOT activate Voice Control commands, and 2) does NOT function when retrieving Voice Mails; only the phone with speaker on or off....really sucks. i echo all of the negative about this issue. MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION about this Bluetooth issue: when will it get resolved with a fix/software update??? how can we constantly keep Sprint Techs busy answering our calls and emails about this? thank all of you for making this issue a PRIORITY!!!  Wayne

Journeyman

I'm feeling the sam way about he Bluetooth Its a core OS Problem. I tried a Droid with all my BlueTooth head sets and it still has many of the same Bluetooth problems in 2.0 We can only hope some one addressed the problems with the bluetooth operation in 2.1.... It was just was Perfect on the Instinct. We can only hope sprint , Samsung, googel  are Really working on the Fix for this.  I can not think if this was really addressed by all of them a Fix Patch could be on its way. You think the Bluetooth head set makers would be working on this too.

Journeyman

According to Lana from Tech Support, who i talked with yesterday, concerning the bluetooth issue of NOT being able to activate Voice Control commands and also not able to listen to received Voice Mails, is that they will be skipping the projected Android 2.0 update that was to be released early 2010, and just adding the fix to the Bluetooth bug issue and release the 2.5 update instead this coming Spring that would address all prior issues/fixes. Since I just purchased the Samsung Moment on 12/17, my choice is to either keep it or return it within the 30-day time-frame, then purchase it again when the bugs are address this coming Spring. I really do like the phone, compared to the Instinct that i had previously. Just to add, the very low "battery usage" issue that seems to have been another big problem has seemed to improve dramatically on my phone as well, for only having it one week. I'm getting at least 18 hours of service from my last overnight charge, using it for normal phone calls, messaging, syncing contacts, and a few daily website visits. For now, the low "battery usage" is a non-issue for me. At any rate, that's an update from this end. Wayne

Journeyman

""According to Lana from Tech Support, who i talked with yesterday, concerning the bluetooth issue of NOT being able to activate Voice Control commands and also not able to listen to received Voice Mails, is that they will be skipping the projected Android 2.0 update that was to be released early 2010, and just adding the fix to the Bluetooth bug issue and release the 2.5 update instead this coming Spring that would address all prior issues/fixes. Since I just purchased the Samsung Moment on 12/17, my choice is to either keep it or return it within the 30-day time-frame, then purchase it again when the bugs are address this coming Spring. I really do like the phone, compared to the Instinct that i had previously. Just to add, the very low "battery usage" issue that seems to have been another big problem has seemed to improve dramatically on my phone as well, for only having it one week. I'm getting at least 18 hours of service from my last overnight charge, using it for normal phone calls, messaging, syncing contacts, and a few daily website visits. For now, the low "battery usage" is a non-issue for me. At any rate, that's an update from this end. Wayne""

I sure hope Lana is in the know.Wow I'v tried the Android 2.0  on the Droid and it does Not fix the Bluetooth. The Droid works just Like the Moment and Hero bluetooth  It Rings and you can answer the phone!  I still think that Sprint could really be a HERO with this bluetooth issue take two weeks put everybody on it and its Fixed! Don't drag it out just do it!. Samsung knows everything you can cook up about the phone and Sprint almost. So if the two of them really really wanted to. I think they could take care of it! They have many happy people. As soon as the Word got out Droid sales would drop and Moment and Hero sales would increase. The Moment is so much better  than the Droid . 18 hours is great  on the Battery I'v never got that yet.

2.5 Update?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat