Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer's Remorse - Crackling Bluetooth/Cellular Data Freeze

Highlighted
Journeyman

Buyer's Remorse - Crackling Bluetooth/Cellular Data Freeze

I like the Samsung Moment, I really do.  Well, more accurately I guess I should say, "I'd like it if it worked as designed."  Right now there are two major problems that are making me regret having bought this phone:

1) Bluetooth - While the "phone sometimes doesn't repair automatically" issue is bad enough, the audio between my car/phone often breaks-up/crackles.  This is noticeable to both me and the person I'm calling.  It didn't happen with the Samsung Instinct that I previously owned.

2) Cellular Data Freeze -- I've seen the "airplane mode" problem as well (once) but this problem is far more prevalent (at least for me).  One of the arrows on the data icon freezes, data transfers stop, and the phone must be rebooted to resume data service.  I had to reboot my phone three times in an hour this morning while accessing data services.

Are there fixes for these?  I sure hope so -- but unfortunately they don't sound like 1.5->2.1 operating system fixes.  My hope is that Sprint knows about them and that they're "firmware fixable" when the Moment gets upgraded.

If not, I guess I'll beg Sprint to do...something.

Ugh.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Have you tried another bluetooth device on the phone?  Not telling you go buy one, or do "retail rental" (buy with the intent of returning for a refund).  See if a friend can pair their bluetooth to your phone and try calling with it.  As for airplane mode, a lot of people are wading through that mess... no answers on that issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Disabling WiFi may decrease the loss of connectivity problem.  I have confirmed this on my phone.

Another user has put their phone into "Home only" mode (under Settings/WirelessControls/System select) and have found that this has eliminated their phone from going into the Airplane mode.  This did nothing on my particular phone.

As far as an update on this???  I talked with Samsung yesterday about this and they don't have any additional information.  As far as I can tell, Sprint is still 'investigating' the issue.  The 'workaround' Sprint is currently providing is to remove and replace the battery.  This does nothing more than power cycling.  I can still get the phone to get in this mode within five minutes after removing the battery.

From what I can gather, neither Sprint nor Samsung is advertising that they have found the source of the problem and they are not telling anyone if or when it will be resolved.

Highlighted
Journeyman

rsnelso / nach2k3 - Thanks for the suggestions.

Re: trying another Bluetooth device:  No, I haven't done this -- a couple of reasons.  My in-car Bluetooth system successfully pairs (w/out occasionally "forgetting") on other phones and more importantly, others on this forum have also complained about the crackling audio problems so it's not isolated to my phone/Bluetooth device.

Re: the "Home Only" mode -- tried that but it doesn't seem to make a difference for me.

I haven't tried disabling WiFi but I guess that's worth a shot and I'll just turn it back on when I'm at home.

Just got home from visiting a friend -- when I got home I noticed that the Moment had gone into airplane mode (e.g. "x" in the corner of the signal strength meter icon).  Again, this has now happened to me a couple of times -- while the net result is the same (i.e. no data transfers) the far more prevalent issue for me has been the "data freeze" problem.

Kinda stinks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Are you able to make calls when the phone is in the data freeze mode?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Good question -- just tried it and the answer is "no."  After entering "data freeze" I was able to invoke the dialer app and attempt to place a call but then things got really interesting.  Call did not go through...could not exit dialer app...and the phone could not be turned off with the power button.  I had to to a hard reset by removing the back cover to take out the battery.

However, once I replaced the battery I couldn't get the phone to "data freeze" again to repro the experiment.  I'm sure it's going to happen again but now I'm wondering if this is a buffer problem.  If that's true, I'm much more optimistic about a potential firmware fix.

I'll try Bluetooth later this morning and see if the crackling disappears (at least temporarily) after a hard reset (i.e. battery removal / replacement).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the same crackling (static) problem with my hands-free bluetooth device. I bought a different unit and now it seems to work fine. The only issue now is that I have to keep re-pairing the phone and the bluetooth device each time I use them.

Chuck

Highlighted
Journeyman

We have two androids on our plan -- moment and hero, and I've been watching forums on both phones for some time.  Neither of our phones has had any trouble with bluetooth or airplane mode.   I wonder if some of the problems described in the first post may not be a hardward issue.  My experience with the moment is that it has been very stable, and now that I've rooted the phone, I've begun to mod it like the hero.  This phone has considerable untapped potential.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here's an update on the "cracking/static" problem I've had w/Bluetooth.  I'd read on a different forum about users who were encountering the same issue.  One possible solution has been to turn off the WiFi on the Moment.

Just ran the test at home and turning off the WiFi seemed to eliminate the static/cracking.  Limited sample size though -- I'm going to leave WiFi OFF for a couple of days and will report the results.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat