cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone with a Moment confirm a couple of things

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can someone with a Moment confirm a couple of things

Can anyone confirm that the Moment has a compass?

Easy way to do this, and test all your functions of the phone would be to install "Google Sky Maps" from the Market.

When you start it, it will use GPS to locate you (Or nearest cell tower if you can't get to GPS), the App uses the Accelerometer to detect the exact position of the phone, and the compass to detect what direction you are facing.

If everything is working properly, it will load a map of the sky for your area.  As you hold the phone in front of you, level, you should see the"horizon" as a yellow line, as you move the phone up over your head, you will see the sky as it should appear "beyond the phone", when you turn to the east, it will show you a view of the Eastern sky, etc...  If you hold it straight out in front of you, it should have markers "on the horizon line" for North, East, South, West...  the stars and horizon should turn as you turn to face each of those directions...

Everything works as it should on the Hero, just checking if everything is working correctly on the Samsung Moment.  (If it does, all the other "augmented reality" type apps should work well.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Can someone with a Moment confirm a couple of things

I to would like some things confirmed.  🙂   Nothing to do with compass but i didnt want to start a new thread.

1.)  How is the battery life?  How many hours?

2.)  Does is have google voice search?

3.)  Is there a ring lag?  (When someone is calling you they hear 3 rings before you hear 1)

4.)  If you had a Hero previously which do you like better?

5.)  How is the web browsing experience?

6.)  Have you missed any text messages? Are there any that got lost in space?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey bkfist, this was actually the first app I installed after getting the phone set-up. It works great! As do all other aps that utilize the compass

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey tomo2sprint,

1. I haven't ben able to actually do a full run down of the battery yet, but I can tell you it is much better than Hero, from my usage so far

2. No does not have google voice search, though that could be implemented later.

3. My testing there was a ring lag on one call of 3 rings... but then there wasn't later... I think this may depend on your signal at that moment?

4. I had a Hero, I loved it for the first day, then it started to suck. It was slow, laggy, froze often, camera sucked, camcorder worked only twice froze the phone all other times. The Moment has been so much better. I would not think twice about recommending this phone to anyone, where as the Hero was kinda embarassing sometimes... like when a friend asked to try it out and it would freeze, I mean it was a new damn phone.. GRRR

5. Web browsing is normal old android lol, though I hear Firefox is building a Android browser

6. Unlike Hero, nope no missed or missing texts...

Pull the trigger and get the Moment!!! It leaves the Zero in the dust

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks so much Adrift!   You answered all my questions

I am seriously considering the moment, especially now that dust is appearing under my screen on the hero.  I really wish the moment had google voice ... but since i would have the keyboard is not that big of an issue.

P.S.  Will update me on the battery once you know about how long it lasts?  BUT with the Hero im sure would have already been dead on you.. LOL

Thanks again!

Highlighted
Journeyman

That was something that I totally forgot about, after only 2 weeks I had visible dust under the corners of the screen, some particles were quite large. That was very disturbing, I can only imagine how bad it will be in a year....

And we'll see with the battery, won't charge it tomorrow, I am a moderatly heavy user so we'll see how it fares.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This sample text on 2nd November, 2009.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Took my Hero back yesterday...Hate that phone...

the browsing experience is night and day from the Hero...Way faster...Did a test with both phones compared to my friends iphone 3gs, all using the same wifi...Iphone smoked the Hero and overall browsing experience was laughable next to the iphone...Did the test today with the Moment and it loaded a pages about 4 seconds faster...I'm using Steel but even the default browser is faster than Hero...I'm thinking on 1.5 it's good...on 2.0?  Can't wait...

The OS will get more efficient/faster but you can never get a faster proc in the Hero...It's a no brainer to me...

Battery life appears to be about the same...Well, let me say day 1 vs day 1 the Moment is FAR superior...Day 1 Moment vs day 25 Hero looks about the same...Not sure if the Moment will get that much better like the Hero did after a few drains......

Haven't missed any text messages that I know of...

I also like the default android phone app...Seemed the the Hero put all the recent calls above the contacts...I found that very confusing...Moment also makes it clear whether it's a gmail contact or exchange contact with seperate icons...Not sure what the Hero did...But even the Hero's dial pad was lame I thought...Like many things on that phone, they look cool but the functionality and performance was lacking big time...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I picked up the Hero on Oct 10, and just switched it for the moment Oct 31.  Here is what I thought about the Hero compared to the Moment:

Hero:

The battery life on the Hero sucked for the first 2 or 3 days, then it got better .

The UI on the Hero is actually very good.  I like the extra 4 homescreens (though I didn't use "scenes" much).  The browser worked very well with multitouch to zoom, and flash support was very nice to have (though it ran flash very slow).  I also liked the bookmarks, and multiple window switching in the browser better than vanilla android.

The Hero widgets are also very nice, the calendar is way nicer than the default android calendar, and the bookmarks widget was nice as well. It also came with toggles for all your bluetooth/wifi/gps/etc.

The camera took very blurry pictures.  The quality was nice (megapixel wise), but I could not take a clear picture of my son (as he tends to move around a bit ). And I never got the video camera to work correctly (though in fairness, I only tried it about 2 times... just didn't like it).

Moment:

Now, I've only had the moment for 2 days, so this is obviously an incomplete review.

I like the keyboard, I moved from an iphone (obviously without a keyboard) to the Hero (again, no keyboard) to the Moment (keyboard) so this is the first time I've used a physical keyboard on my phone, and I'm slowly getting used to it.  It works nicely, well backlit, and decent keys (considering the form factor).  The best feature of the keyboard is that you can actually use the browser etc in landscape and be able to see the page while typing!

The UI is boring plain old vanilla Android (which could use some sprucing up), but works fine.

The browser is again, plain old boring Android, but it works.

I've already noticed that occassionaly an app that is running in the background will force quit (somethiing I never saw on my Hero), I guess this can be attributed to the 32 meg difference in RAM.

There are not status lights on the Moment.

There is no dedicated search button on the front of the phone (only on the keyboard). I liked the search button on the Hero.

The "home" "menu" and "back" buttons on the front aren't physical buttons (which makes them hard to find in the dark).

The optical pad is actually quite useful, very different tactile feedback from the trackball on the Hero, but not bad at all.

I find myself preferring the Hero over the Moment.  But most of that is for the software of the Hero.  It really does have a great interface that provides a great user experience.  That being said, it's only software, and it should only be a matter of time before all that software functionality makes it's way into the Moment as well.  Until that happens though, I'll miss my Hero.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat