cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use any email app in Moment including GMAIL !

Journeyman

Can't use any email app in Moment including GMAIL !

Okay here goes,  (SPRINT)   Yes I have an unlimited data plan and access to secure and unsecure networks. The Moment wont go to GMAIL, (yes i have current gmail accounts)  It wont even let me create a new account.   everything is wide open as far as connecting goes.  It also wont let me connect to Yahoo mail, MSN mail, JUNO, or AOL.  I tried the settings in manual hookup. I could not even find a place to enter SMTP settings.   But check this out I can go to Yahoo and GMAIL on the browser and read my Yahoo mail and Gmail with no problem. I'm assuming this is because its reading it like any normal WEBMAIL.   But when I try to use the GMAIL or EMAIL shortcuts on the phone it doesn't work even for GMAIL. As a matter of fact none of the Google stuff works unless I open my browser first.

But as far as just hitting a shortcut and opening mail it simply doesn't work except through my texts. I sent myself a text with a shortcut to my yahoo email. I can open the text hit the link and boom, I'm right to the mail. 

Also the Wi FI security does not work with my Wi Fi security at home. I have wpa-psk (TKIP) + wpa2-psk(AES) apparently the Moment doesn't like this. So I had to open my Wifi completely (it wouldn't even accept simple WPA2 settings or password.) 

I finally got it to recognize a Gmail account under the email settings (shortcut to Email) but when I open the shortcut to Gmail  it still does not cooperate.   So basically I'm stuck with one Email account I can check because to top that off it won't accept multiple accounts (wont even add my wifes account) Let me put the one Gmail account in emails and nothing else.  Also the GMAIL search window on the desktop doesn't do anything either.

Basically the phone is great if you open the browser first. Oh it did let me check the weather.    I know how  things work, I understand about nothing is perfect etc, etc.  But this is WAY TOO MUCH WORK just to get an expensive phone to work.  I would like very much for it to at least work WITH THE DAMN GOOGLE apps seeing as how its called the Moment with Google.  I should have known better than to trust google and samsung. 

Please if someone could tell me how to setup Email.  ( there is no SMTP settings I can change in this phone that I have been able to find ). I can change the IMAP settings only.   And please tell me why when I hit the GMAIL shortcut on the desktop it will not sign me in or let me create a new account. ?

Going to take this piece of crap back real soon.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Can't use any email app in Moment including GMAIL !

Problem is not the phone but android os it is normal for someone new like android to have problems

To setup your yahoo account -After entering in your yahoo e-mail address and password selected Manual setup and pick Imap account from there enter Imap.mail.yahoo.com under Imap server and pick TLS(if availble ) then push next.

Journeyman

I have tried all of that.   there is no settings for SMTP under manual install.

It says problem connecting to server or invalid Password or Account (they are correct).

But the funny thing is it won't even let me set up a Google Mail account ?   It says Unable to at this time or your sim card may not be set up for data ?

Like I said everything seems to work FROM THE BROWSEr, but some of  the shortcuts on the phones desktop do not work. particular the Email.

Journeyman

I had a problem similar to this with the Hero when I first got it..so I did a hard reset, and it fixed the problem. Try contacting tech support to see if thi sis a frequent problem.

Journeyman

Have you had any success using different email clients from the market?

I currently am able to see wifi security settings for WPA personal and WPA2 personal....are you saying you see these, but the password you enter isn't being accepted?

EDIT:  If you want to try a hard reset - check this thread - post by zefie.  http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/24092?start=15&tstart=0&reqsorting=dec  According to the community - upcoming maintenance releases are slated to include a less kludg-y hard reset solution.

Message was edited by: aBsTRaCt

Journeyman

Yes it sees the Network fine. It will accept the security code  for the network at work but it won't at home. It will run at home if I open my home network up (remove all the security).  It does not work at my son-laws house either. He has the same security setup as I do.  AS everybody knows Just having WPA2 isn't good enough these days as it can be hacked.(yes it DOES accept the security code for just a single security setting.)  

It does however work even better when the security is off. 

No, the email clients won't work from home, work or any public zone.    It won't even accept my works GMAIL account.  It accepted one Account through the Email shortcut but  it will not add a second GMAIL account or add an account through the GMAIL shortcut. It won't accept my ISP email which is a POP mail !

So basically If I have ALL my emails routed through the ONE account I'll be okay.  It just doesn't make sense to have all this trouble with not only the email apps but the GMAIL applications.

so here is what I have done so far.  I have forwarded any Email that I can and put shortcuts on the desktop to Yahoo mail.   Now if I could just get the Google Search shortcut and Google Mail shortcuts to work.

Everything works fine if I open  the browser and go to the website. I can then sign in and check mail for MSN, Yahoo, AOL, JUNO and so forth.   I should have known better. Google is a competitor of these places, it aint' no wonder they don't work right. 

Journeyman

I honestly have no idea what to tell you about the wireless lan settings...I guess i'd recommend opening a formal ticket with Samsung / Sprint.

This email thing is interesting.  Are you able to access the "market" application?  I'm wondering if you have tried any email clients that didn't come with the phone, but could be downloaded through the marketplace.  If you can't access the market, but you're otherwise able to get to your google account (via a browser)...i've got another idea.

Since these problems seem to be pseudo-random - a hard reset might be a valid troubleshooting step.  It is unlikely google is intentionally blocking you from your email accounts...

Journeyman

Yea I went ahead and did the hard reset, it didn't work until....guess what.....I replaced the SD Memory card and did a reset again....Hmmmm  interesting to say the least, but at least i got a larger SD card out of the deal.  Everything works fine now except the LAN settings and WEB-based EMAIL programs.  It Synced up and everything.  Oh it does accept my LAN settings as long as I keep it on WPA2-PSK(AES) and not put it on WPA-PSK(TKIP)-WPA2-PSK(AES). I did notice it doesn't like putting it on WPA-PSK(TKIP) settings alone either.  I think this is a drag because TKIP is the better of the settings.  I have not tried my ISP POP mail account yet.

The point is these Android phones are not really geared towards business, most people however do have WEB based email programs like AOL, JUNO, YAHOO, MSN etc. It just seems ridiculous for Yahoo and everybody else including Google to get so dang proprietary when it comes to their Email programs.   At least Google works, but it should on a Google phone..LOL. Yahoo said it does as long as you go to Yahoo first then sign in.  I know how to set it up anyway but I can't find anywhere in this phone where it asks for the SMTP settings.

Anyway thanks to all for your responses and help.  

Brian

Journeyman

Thanks for sharing Brian...sharing your experience is critical to make a forum like this useful.

Since you've at least somewhat resolved the wlan issues, i am still curious as to whether you've tried any other email applications from the marketplace.  I've heard a lot of positive feedback about one called "K9" - http://www.androidtapp.com/k9-mail/

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat