cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have a working GPS/location on the moment?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does anyone have a working GPS/location on the moment?

I see there are many poeple with GPS problems including myself and want to know if it maybe just a large batch of bad phones so I can decide on exchanging it for another moment or getting the hero. 

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Does anyone have a working GPS/location on the moment?

Wireless location for CDMA isn't supported in Android 1.5 and Samsung didn't add anything to the rom to make it work like it does on the Hero. Practically every application that gets background location data attempts do do so through wireless location services to conserve battery life.

Message was edited by: knaveofspades

Highlighted
Journeyman

I havent had any issues besides it maybe taking a little time locking on to a satellite but nothing crazy. Then again i was indoors.

Highlighted
Journeyman

cds36,

Turn off gps sattelites and turn on the option for getting location using wireless networks. Does it report the correct location in google maps?

Highlighted
Journeyman

GPS on my phone works correctly in Google Maps, GPS Status runs fine but is jittery (sometimes the compass flips, altitude fluctuates wildly, and heading goes haywire) and while it takes up to 2 mins to get the coordinate data, it does eventually get it, and I just checked- the coords are correct for where I am (not china!).

But when I tried the cardio trainer app, it kept saying I was in a province of France, and wouldn't track me around, so I had to delete it.

So for me personally, it sounds like some of you just have defective phones. I have my own set of bugs and issues with this phone, but none have been dealbreakers, and they all seem like things that would be solved if Sprint would let us upgrade to Android 2.0. Why we have to use this old version baffles me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Zumaki,

Turn off GPS sattelites and enable wireless location settings. I'll bet that google maps will tell you that you're somewhere in France as well. An admin has posted that the Moment doesn't fully support the location settings most apps use for background updating.

Here is the thread:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/129939#129939

This may also be why people might be having battery life issues with the moment. When I went to the sprint store and tested the moment, GPS was enabled and wireless location was turned off. If this is the default, apps might be accessing the GPS in the background and killing the battery, cause if youre indoors, it'll keep trying the GPS for no good reason because it can't see the sattelites.

And I would own the Moment right now if it even had 1.6 so it would fully support CDMA wireless positioning.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Supposedly Android 1.5 does not work with the GPS correctly. We probably need to start bugging sprint for a fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

methoderik wrote:

Supposedly Android 1.5 does not work with the GPS correctly. We probably need to start bugging sprint for a fix.

GPS should work just fine. It's really CDMA wireless location that isn't really broken, but unsupported. It doesn't look like this will work until 1.6.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Umm my Sprint Navigation GPS service doesn't work. Unsupported, not updated, whatever... I purchased a phone that was advertised with Sprint Navigation GPS, not Broken (unsupported) Sprint Navigation GPS.

Highlighted
Journeyman

methoderik wrote:

Umm my Sprint Navigation GPS service doesn't work. Unsupported, not updated, whatever... I purchased a phone that was advertised with Sprint Navigation GPS, not Broken (unsupported) Sprint Navigation GPS.

I'm not making excuses. That's why I didn't buy one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Word.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This GPS is totally useless.  Does not lock while stationary.  I cannot freaking drive and program at the same time.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat