cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone have a working GPS/location on the moment?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Does anyone have a working GPS/location on the moment?

My Sprint GPS navigation has been working fantastically since day 1. Is it something else other than the navi that people are having trouble with?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine is functioning well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, exactly.  This phone doesn't actually support location based apps correctly.  We paid for something that doesn't work as advertised with no eta on a fix among other issues.

The best part is that Sprint will charge you a restocking fee to return this if you'd rather get the Hero.  I've just been on the phone with 3 different "managers" who say "its company policy to charge the fee" and "we just distribute the phones, Samsung makes them".  I brought 2 lines over from ATT because I thought the Sprint coverage was better where I lived but now I see myself moving on.  They won't charge the restocking fee if I cancel the line but they will if I change to the Hero.  Is it any wonder why Sprint is in trouble?  Makes no sense to me really.  I just want to trade for a phone with less issues 4 days after I made a purchase.

So I say to all of you out there that might be thinking of switching before your 30 days, Sprint will charge you to switch from a faulty model to another one.

I guess this is what happens to being an early adopter

Highlighted
Journeyman

"I guess this is what happens to being an early adopter"

Yeah, it is to be expected. Getting the first run of a new technology always means paying more and having to deal with the bugs. Samsung is a good company and I expect them to have updates/fixes coming soon (they are not going to be able to resolve every issue every day) after they have compiled the big problems and packaged the fixes.

Everyone who is saying that they want to dump this phone after a couple days because there were a few expected bugs in it are... well... I don't know what they are? What do you call someone that takes a high risk for the purpose of complaining when they receive a negative repercussion?

At least this isn't the Pre, those people have been waiting months for a fix that will never come... because their phones have unresolvable hardware issues. We have the benefit of having a VERY solid phone with software issues that can be resolved through efficient updates. All you need to do is be patient.

I was just thinking about how phones are the exact opposite of people.

In Ron White's standup routine, he says that people can fix whatever they want on the outside, but you can't fix stupid.

But then with a cell phone, you can fix stupid! But your stuck with whatever pos hardware you get.

Message was edited by: CriticalCritic

Highlighted
Journeyman

I totally agree with you Critic, its just that something like bluetooth is a basic thing nowadays.  I mean, hell my razr does that well, and its 4 and half years old.  In fact, most current phones work just fine with headsets and even file transfers.  I know bluetooth is coming but it works just fine on the Hero.  Without any word from Sprint on an ETA for a bug release, I have no choice but to move to something else.  2 Years is a long time to wait for a fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Im coming from a Hero and let me tell you that the Moment is by far less buggy. I dont have the problems as some of you guys with the gps maybe its just the phone, but Im so happy i made the change. In fact i dont have any problems so far the only thing i can complain about is getting used to the keyboard, and the top half wiggles just a tiny bit from the keyboard but nothing at all serious.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

My satellite GPS works great (plus or minus the drain un the undersized battery).

The problem as people have pointed out is not with the satelleite GPS  but with the cell network location service.  It sounds like the kind of problem that will be fixed with an upgrade which has been hinted at.  The big question is when?   Now that I understand the problem I can live with it and won't return the phone just for this.

I do hope they announce an upgrade soon and that time is before the end of the year or I might have to return it.  And I have two words if I get any guff about it: "Verizon Droid".

Seriously though the initial reports is that the droid has it's share of warts too so far.  I can be patient but I won't accept this level of problems without some indication of it being fixed before long.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was going to come up with a more thought out critique of my problems but I may as well lay it out here.  First let me say that I love this phone and the capabilities.  All the phones seem to have problems these days.  My last phone was a Motorola Renegade.  All the basic functions worked great but it had other glaring problems with the SD chip becoming confused (requiring reboot), short battery life (or what I thought was short batter life since I often couldn't make a day --  I wish I could get that far with this phone), and a really amazingly stupid function:  apparently it muted the alarm feature while charing.  This meant that I couldn't charge it over night and use it as an alarm clock.

Anyway, back to the Moment.

1.  The location issue.  Annoying but has some workarounds and the real GPS works fine.  I can live with it.  This is also a known problem in using Android 1.5 with CDMA and is in the Samsung customizations.  I expect an upgrade to Android or at least a patch to fix this should be on it's way.

2.  Bluetooth.  My last 2 phones worked fine in my car (04 Prius) and I expect any future phone to work as well.  It seems to be in connecting.  I can pair easily with most any device and when it works it works.  At least the car does.  I have very intermittant success with transfer contacts.

This isn't a bell or whistle for me but basic function.  I have googled and found that 1.5 has bluetooth issues and it isn't a problem just on this Phone.  I haven't heard how the Hero fares with this.  In any case I expect an upgrade will fix this and I can wait.

3. Battery life.  Or lack of battery life to be more accurate.  The first two days I couldn't make it past lunch time.  If I turn off GPS, WIFI and Bluetooth when I am not actively using them I can get a little more life but I am resigned to charging it at work during the day.  I remember on some of the old Nextel phones I could get 2 or 3 days before needing a charge if I wasn't talking much.  I fully realize all the extra functions suck the juice down but the extra functions is what we buy these smart phones for.  It needs a larger battery and I wouldn't mind an option for a larger battery.  Most of my Nextels had an option of a larger battery pack with a differnt "bulge out" phone back.  There is no reason the Moment couldn't have one.

Any plans for an optional high capacity battery?

4. missing calls and getting X on the radio bars for no reason.  I have missed at least one call.  When I tested it myself it worked fine so it could just be random.  But also at least 3 times now when I am at home and in the evening it has more or less turned off the phone radio.  It shows an X on the bars and I can't get it back without power cycling.  Since I have only had this a week it has happened about every other day.  I also get com.samsung.mumble crashing.  I don't know what that is but it can't be good.  I don't know if others have this problem and it so far hasn't been a big problem but is a concern.

So let me balance this some more.  I love the screen and I love all the apps.    I like the form factor although I wouldn't mind it larger.  This is my first keyboard and I am glad I have it.  I have an ipod Touch so I am familiar with the ipod Way and I think the overall look and feel and usability is about the same between them.  The ipod is a little more well rounded and easier for most things but Android has more options and freedom.  Part of the cost of that freedom is less consistancy between apps but worth it for me.

So that was more than I thought I was going to write.  All in all I am happy with the Phone but Sprint/Samsung really need to make sure they don't drop the ball on supporting it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat