ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Journeyman

FROYO

Will the moment be getting the 2,2 froyo upgrade??  VZW has already announced to its customers that the update is in the works and on the esy for the Droid and subsequent models.  Please don't drop the ball on this the way you did on on the eclaire update.  Will Sprint ever be able to beat Verizon to the punch on any updates or is it just time to switch???  Sprint says they are the "NOW NETWORK" well, froyo is now.  Get in the game Sprint or you are going to start losing customers to a carrier that will.

Message was edited by: ninis6

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: FROYO

My understanding is that Froyo is not "now" across the board but "now" as in 4th Quarter 2010.  Only one that has is it now is the Nexus One.  My information is a couple days old, though, so perhaps there are articles I've missed since then.

Journeyman

My brother in law just got an email from Verizon and it stated that he needed to watch for emails regarding the update.  The email used terms such as "shortly" and "in the near future".  I guess those are pretty broad terms but I for one don't want to have to wait almost six months after he and my other friends with the Droid get their updates so all I can do is drool over the new features they have and my Moment is more than capable of having, like the live wallpapers that I still don't have.

Journeyman

Think we could get a straight answer on this please.  The Moment is capable of running 2.2 Froyo.  Please don't leave us behind.

Journeyman

Since Sprint is not going to put Froyo on the Moment, are they changing their policy regarding rooted devices since that is the only way to get backup capability now?  This is not a good situation and I agree that Sprint is dropping competitive advantages very quickly.  I do not see a need to upgrade to a new phone just to get that capability since 4G does not show any signs of appearing in my area anytime soon.  I've been a Sprint customer for a long time but the disappointments are accumulating.  I moved to Android purposely to take advantage of it's dynamically improving performance and features, looks like it's a fantasy.

Sprint, you need to re-think this!

Journeyman

Well, as I find more and more info popping up I really don't think the Moment will ever get 2.2.  Samsung is supposed to stop production ofthe Moment on July 24 and Sprint will no longer carry the phone but, only AFTER the in stock supply runs out.  They are supposed to launch the Samsung Intercept (AKA the Moment 2) on July 11.  Supposedly it will come out with 2.1 and upgrade to 2.2 sometime.  So it basically looks like those of us unlucky enough to be the guinea pigs who took a chance and went with Sprint's first attempt at the Android phone will be left with only two options -stick with 2.1 and a problem laden phone or upgrade to a new phone and hope Sprint and Samsung have it figured out this time.  Wow, 12 years with Sprint and have never really even thought about changing until now.  VZW and the new Droid are really starting to look good and they aren't afraid to keep up with the updates.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Correct - Samsung and Sprint will not be providing a factory supported upgrade to Froyo, 2.2.

You're welcome to 'root' your device and upgrade on your own.  If you brick the phone while doing this, it will not be covered by warranty.

If you need service, keep the factory RUU around to re-flash the phone to the stock Sprint build before you bring it in for service.

(all speaking personally, not an official sprint statement, etc etc.)

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

ok well if sprint wont come thru  to the people at sdx.com ther will always be someone out there who can make what they say isnt possible possible with a root i wont do it but i seen 10 of my friends do it woth no sweat if i had a pc i would probally have already done it but i got the samsung moment to not need a pc but aparently sprint let me down again i thought they were trying to step there game up but now they r getting cocky with there new evo so looks like im gonna have to find a new samsung phone that supports froyo and flash player cause itll be the day i can walk on water that i ever buy a htc phone again spoke my peace

Journeyman

Fyi... even if you root the phone, you will still have the data lockup/evdo arrow of no signal issue.  The word is already out, that the Froyo root didn't fix this.  The root makes the phone faster, stronger, and more powerful, yet it still locks up rendering it useless for all things related to contacting the outside world.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat