cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty Moment almost cost a life

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since April I have been talking to sprint customer service reps, managers and even memebers in their "Executive and Regulatory Services" office but to no avail.Ive sent over 10 e-mails explaining that the phone malfunctions frequently, it freezes, crashes, GPS signal is never found, drops calls, will restart on its own-even if you are on a phone call, etc. Sprint knows the phone has issues and instead of accepting responsibility for selling bad phones these bastards tell me to upgrade to the epic and pay the additional $10 fee. Of rep-jamaal smith- told me he would send me a LG rumor or first generation blackberry for $25 in place of my moment. ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! You want me to downgrade to a 4 year old phone just to stay with you?

On top of that they are saying its nothing they can do because I dont have insurance on the phone. This isnt a case they requires insurance. We arent talking about user negligence , we are talking about SOFTWARE issues!!

Moving forward this is what really has me pissed and considering contacting a laywer. This is part of the e-mail I sent  to Dar-Sheen Mays in the executive services office.

This  weekend on the way to  South Carolina my 7 year old niece had an allergic reaction that caused  her throat  to swell. I was unable to call 911 from my phone because the phone froze  and the screen blacked out after I tried to turn Telenav GPS off. I was  literally standing on the side of the road FRANTIC.Scared for her life  she asked me if she was going to die. DO YOU KNOW HOW IT FEELS TO LOOK  INTO THE EYES OF A CHILD WHO IS POSSIBLY MINUTES AWAY FROM DEATH????   In the heat of the moment who thinks about troubleshooting a phone? I'm  so angry that this ongoing issue with you over A PHONE could have cost  my niece her life. She is only 7! Her life was about to end before it  began! At this point, its beyond any phone or billing issues- this is about a life.An innocent life!  Put yourself in my shoes and understand the severity of this situation. I want my contract cancelled and all early termination fee's waived. Had this issue been handled properly in the beginning I wouldnt have to put our lives in danger by flagging down a stranger to assist us.

Can you believe this sad excuse for a woman still had the nerve to call me and say I still need to take the phone to the service center! Im contacting my AG and possibily a lawyer. Im telling every one now, DONT CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THIS COMPANY. I will continue to file complaints with the FC, BBB, AG and any other agency I can find.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Journeyman

I see that people are reading the topic but no one is responding so my question is what do you all suggest I do?? I will no longer do business with sprint and I want out of the contract with no ETF.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Meke86,

I understand excatly what your going thru it is very frustration to go to a device during a time of an emergency and have it not work. As a father I know what it is like to have my child look up me in a time of fear and ask me things like that because they are scared. I think there have been some misunderstanding when it comes to cell phones, because I my self work for another company that sells smart phones also. You wanna know what I found, that all phones and devices break or a are faulty but were never sold with the expectations that you are claiming. Also without any information to provide on what happened,I would say that you are making a very large actusations towards Sprint who doesn't even make the phone and what your claiming is to say all of there phones have this problem that you haven't fully identified. I apologize for your scary event with your neice but also as a parent I know you can't limit your opitions and must be prepared for anything when it comes to children, like my daughter who has 4 copys of her favorite blanket and nookie because she lost on a trip once and thought she was gonna die then too but she didn't we got her another nookie but in the my childs health and happiness is all I can hope, forget a phone. Also I have been in situations of allergic reactions to things such a bee's stings and peanuts which require immediate reaction that a cell phone would be of abosolutley useless. During an anaphylactic attack you may want to try the following I heard this is a real life savior:

Epinephrine autoinjector

If you're allergic to bee stings, your doctor will likely prescribe an emergency epinephrine autoinjector (EpiPen, Twinject). You'll need to carry it with you at all times. An autoinjector is a combined syringe and concealed needle that injects a single dose of medication when pressed against your thigh. Always be sure to replace epinephrine before its expiration date, or it may not work properly.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for commenting. Im blaming Sprint for not taking the responsibility for selling these faulty phones  and providing me with a comparable model instead of blaming me for not  having insurance. Had I purchased the phone from Samsung my issue would  be with them. My business isnt with Samsung, its with sprint. Thats who I  pay every month so I feel thats who needs to handle the problem. Also Im not quite sure what you meant when you stated

"what your claiming is to say all of there phones have this problem that you haven't fully identified."

By  you saying that I already know you arent the owner of one of these  phones because you would know that THEY ALL have problems and they all  have THEY SAME problems. And like I said the phone freezes, crashes, the GPS doesnt function properly and those are just a few of the issues it has.

As far as my niece her  grandmother made her a fruit salad to take with her on the trip. The  DR's believe she had a reaction to the mangos that were in the salad  because that was her first time ever eating a mango. Everything else in  the salad-pineapples, grapes, watermelon, canteloupe, etc- she had  before. So this isnt a case where anyone would have known and therefore  the Epi Pen still wouldnt have been on hand. Needless to say thank you  for that advice.

Highlighted
Wizard

I do apologize about your issue. All device are tested and are ready for use from the manufacturer to Sprint. The device are up to standards and working with no other applications downloaded on them other than what comes on the device. I have found that with Android device, you never know what will happen once something was downloaded from the Market. There are some applications that can make device acted up. If there is something faulty on the device and you do not have insurance, then there would be a charge for fixing or replacing the device. when you first got the device you were giving the option to place insurance on the device, but declined it. since the device does not have insurance on it and there is an issue with it, you do have a one year manufacturers warranty to where you can send the device into Samsung for them to fix or replace. You can reach Samsung at 1800samsung. If you did not want to go through Samsung then you can go into the store or call into tech suport, but if the device does need to be replaced there would be a fee.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Im not sure if I'm the only one who has common sense here or not...When honda recalled their brakes on certain models a few years back because they were FAULTY did people have to pay to have them replaced? NO! BECAUSE THEY WERE FAULTY!!!!!! key word-FAULTY! Sure before the cars left the honda warehouse they were tested and functioned just fine, however some of them were still found to be faulty. SO AGAIN, why in the hell would I pay sprint or samsung to fix a FAULTY device. Like I said to the previous poster, clearly you dont have one of these phones either. Not one person who has experienced problems with this phone blamed it on the apps being downloaded, bc the apps arent the cause of the problem. Sprint and Samsung both acknowledge the phones have software issues therefore they stopped selling them. So tell me what in the hell does INSURANCE, APPS or any of that other bull have to do with the software issues??? You are so brain washed that you cant even see past the crap they sold you to get you to buy insurance. And do you not think Ive called tech support or have gone to the store numerous times? Because its a software issue the store nor tech support can do anything. And this is my 3RD samsung moment and they all have the same problems. Im not stressing it any longer. Ive contacted my state attorney general to inform them of sprints deceptive billing practices, selling a faulty phone and refusing to send me one thats comparable to the one i have without charging me that ridculous $10 MONTHLY fee. I received a letter from them telling me to send more documentation and we will go from there.

Highlighted
Master

This is definitely a worse case scenario that I don't like hearing about.  And Sprint and I sincerely hope your niece is doing better now.  We honestly do want all of our customers to have the same great Sprint experience that we as employees experience everyday.  I'd like to try and address your concerns and help you resolve this issue.  Please private message me by clicking on my avatar, I will need your name and Sprint phone number. 

Sincerely,

Tom

Highlighted
Journeyman

I started browsing this forum since Monday, and I just found your thread. I am so sorry for your experience.

I am neither a lawyer or Sprint employee to help you on the situation, but I can put the link to this or story to other sites or tell friends not ever get

Sprint. Well, also short Sprint to drag the stock price down, which I actually was going to do last week independent of your post, haha.

I am also trying to terminate the contract with ETF waived. I don't know how we could do with a legitimate reason.

I will come back to this forum every once a while, so please update your on-going problem with Sprint. I would like to learn. Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It may sound like corporate cya, but trangers77 does have a point about market apps.  I got my Moment in early 2010 and had all the usual problems with lockups, etc.  The update of Oct or Nov helped a great deal, but not 100%.  Then I uninstalled Pandora and cleaned out the cache in other apps (Settings / Applications / Manage Applications) and it's like having a new phone. 

I reboot it every night and keep the cache empty, I don't think it's liocked up since.  The Sprint Navigation still can never find a GPS signal, but most of the time Google Navigation will.  But I'd rather have a working phone and do without the GPS, given the choice.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Faulty Moment almost cost a life

YES! Finally someone who actually understands and isnt trying to blame me for the phone being screwed up. So if you could share my situation with others just to advise them of the kind of bs Sprint will pull, I'll be nothing short of grateful! I just mailed the documentation the AG office requested so as soon as I hear something back I'll post it here, or send you a PM. If I find a legitiment reason to have the ETF waived, I'll also let YOU know. . No need in informing the others since they dont mind taking Sprint's bs!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with you, not every app is safe to download nor did I say ive  downloaded any apps. In addition if one of the main perks of having an  Android is the market and from what you are implying can cause  the phone to also malfunction, then you too should be writing letters to  sprint or samsung. Its no reason that should be acceptable to you. You  mentioned that you would rather have a phone that works and do without  the GPS. Dont you pay for that EVERY month? Why would you not want to  get what you pay for? Im sure when you order your food and you pay for  extra cheese, pickles, chicken, pork or whatever you make sure you get  it. Why is this any different? Its not. If the GPS is not functioning  you need to be credited. Simple as that. Your next call needs to be to  customer service to get that point across.    

Im sure you paid your hard earned money for yor phone Steve but  one would think you brought it off the back of a truck the way you had  to go through an upgrade, have to clear the cache, delete every app,  reboot every night, etc just to get it to function and it shouldnt be  like that. The fact that you would rather find ways to rig up the phone  versus demanding a phone the functions the way it was designed says you  are willing to except what you are given .To Sprint they think their  customers arent going to go anywhere because  they have the cheapest plans so they can skimp on service and quality.   If only a few people are willing to stand up and demand better  from these companies then they will continue to provide us the bare  minimum just so they can profit off of us. For the life of me I cant  understand why consumers dont realize the power we have.If more people  say " hey this is unacceptable, I want a phone that functions without me  having to rig it or service thats reliable and until you provide me  with such I will not do business with you" then they will get off of  their behinds and do just that. We are their revenue and if we arent  happy their revenue should affect that and suffer. But people just dont  have the balls any more to stand up for themselves-except for the  workers at Verizon. And i commend each and every one of them...wish i  knew more people like them.

Im not trying to attack you, im simply saying you too should demand better. Its a reason for the BBB, FCC, FTC, etc. Use them! I still thank you for time and your comment . May your day be blessed

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree, it would be nice to have everything work perfectly, but in my immediate family we have five different models of phone with two different carriers.  Each has its own problems.  While I'm determined to avoid Samsung in the future, I don't think the Moment is unique in being a PITA at times.  Just check out the online forums for any other phone...

As far as "rigging" the phone, I do have plenty of other apps on my phone.  I only removed Pandora after it looked like it was locking things up, and the improvement was immediate.  I do the rebooting and cache clearing as a preventative measure.  My wife does the same with her Blackberry.  (Better as a phone than the Moment, but lousy online...)

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat