cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filed a FCC complaint about Moment's data lockup issue and want to leave Sprint

Journeyman

Filed a FCC complaint about Moment's data lockup issue and want to leave Sprint

Moment was my first smart phone and I was very excited about getting onboard with the cutting edge technology last October. Upon getting the new shiny Moment, my basic flip phone on Verizon network looked very ugly, you know. I even ordered a Hero for my wife, who had LG chocolate phone at that time with Verizon. So, we were in Sprint family from November 2009. Since then, I have had to deal with a lot of headaches with my phone. After a week later, I realized Moment's GPS didn't work so I swapped it once, and the refurbished phone didn't work either. The technician apologized and promised me to order another phone for me so I accepted it. After a week, I was given another refurbished phone with the exact same problem. Me and the technician both laughed, what else we could do? He went in the office to tell the store manager about my case and the manager came to me and said,

"This phone will be upgraded to Android 2.1 very soon and the issue with aGPS is well known to Samsung and surely they would resolve the issue with the upgrade."

I accepted it sincerely and waited two months for the upgrade. As you expected, the upgrade didn't resolve the issue at all; my aGPS didn't work, in addition, now data lockup issue was added. Went to the Repair center again to complain about it and the store manager came up again said,

"We've done everything we could and should to fix your phone, but we can't fix it because the issue has to be handled by Samsung, the manufacturer. Here's Samsung's Repair center telephone number. Please contact them instead of us."

So, I called the number and talked with a technician. He didn't know Samsung Moment's huge problem, maybe he just pretended he didn't know or hear of the problem, I guess. Anyway, he told me to send my phone to the repair center. So I told him back, "While you're fixing my phone, which phone can I use to do my business?" He told me to get a loaner phone from Sprint so I called two of Sprint stores around me to ask if they could get me a loaner phone. Neither of them provided loaner phone program. So, I couldn't send my phone to be fixed by Samsung.

One day, I decided to try another Sprint repair center so I made an appointment. The store was busy but people were friendly and the technician who took care of me ordered a brand new Moment with 2.1 preinstalled. Actually, I had a great hope because I was suspicious of refurbished phones. After a week, I was given a shiny brand new Moment in a box with the same problem. Oh boy... GPS was slightly better, but once data lockup happened, none of features of Moment would work. I made a conclusion that Sprint and Samsung had no intention and capability to fix my phone. Sprint is incapable of doing a decent business in terms of customer care and Samsung is incapable of fixing their own phone's issues with two of software updates.

I don't understand why Sprint can't speak up against Samsung for their valuable customers. All of Sprint admins here have accepted this issues are for real and I'm sure that they have repeatedly reported it to their boss so the people at higher organization chart would already know this issue. Then, why they can't even told Samsung about this issue? Because Samsung is a big time player? maybe because Sprint is afraid that Samsung wouldn't provide Epic 4G to Sprint on time? I don't want to talk about this any more as it makes me sick and disgusted.

Now, If I could without paying ETF, I would like to leave Sprint because I'm sick and tired of being a Sprint family. I've already paid $558 (-$200 mail in rebate) for two of android phones and around $129 monthly for the service. I really wanted to stay with Sprint because I know Sprint's family plan is the cheapest and the best out there. However, Sprint failed to provide me a properly working phone. All the best service and the cheapest plan would be useless without a decent phone to support its service. I don't want to pay any more for the service I can't fully trust on. I've missed a lot of calls from my business partners, friends and my beloved family without knowing that my phone is not in the working mode but in the airplane mode or data lockup mode. How am I supposed to check my phone up every minute if it goes to the airplane mode? I don't want to do that any more.

So, I filed a FCC complaint about this issue with Sprint. I told them I would like to leave Sprint without paying ETF unless they would provide me a comparably working phone. Right now, I would prefer leaving this company because I could come to realize Sprint is not well organized to compete with other big players in terms of Customer Care. Even if I would pay more money with other carriers, I could have a piece of mind that my phone is surely working, which is a lot more valuable than a few decades of bucks.

Some of you have said that every smart phone has its own issues, which I totally agree with. However, I've never heard that a smart phone has this major issue like Moment has. Slow performance, MMS text issues, LCD panel issues, Antenna issues, Multitasking issues.... I've heard enough issues regarding to cutting edge smart phones. However, I've never heard of any phone which goes into airplane mode by itself and disconnect itself from all of cellular signals without phone owner's permission. Moreover, I've never experienced this kind of terrible customer care like Sprint does provide. I don't see any hope in Sprint business practices for now.

If FCC wouldn't do anything in favor of me, I know I have to forcefully stay with Sprint until two year contract expires, which makes me very sad but I can do that with holding a string of hope to leave Sprint in a year or so.

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Filed a FCC complaint about Moment's data lockup issue and want to leave Sprint

Sprint and sammy dont want to have any type of official stance on the moments probs. Becasue if they did it would force them to spend alot of money on fixing it or replaceing the phones.But the problem with gps is because agps functionality is turned off, see my post here on how to fix gps http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/201232#201232

Also a group of developers are working on the lock up issue and have not completely fixed but have diffenetly improved the issue. this is there website:  http://forum.sdx-developers.com/index.php?action=forum#c2

Journeyman

Re: Filed a FCC complaint about Moment's data lockup issue and want to leave Sprint

Thank you for the tip . I will try it sometime later..., but I still don't understand why we customers need to find the way around the problem. Sprint and Samsung have a lot more dedicated human resources, cumulated knowledge, and tremendous amount of money to do it than us. We're paying that money every month and deserve to be served as valuable customers.

Journeyman

Good luck, the FCC MAY send you a form letter, but they won't do anything.  Try BBB or better yet, small claims or magistrate court.  Ask for recission of the contract, or ask for the ETF clause to be struck.  Also, ask for any monthly service fees you paid during the problem, and the cost of the the phone.

Journeyman

FCC won't do anything for me? Have you filed before? Then I'm totally helpless.  Apparently, you are also holding Moment, did you happen to get a unusually perfect Moment? Or, have you decided to managed to survive with a defective phone? I'm just curios about how other Moment owners are feeling about this issue.

To me, the issue has been quite annyoing and made me so much frustrated so that I started thinking that Sprint and Samsung are incapable and lame companies. That's why I decided to leave Sprint before I have to get more stress with it. iPhone and AT&T have never been attracted to me but right now they simply look very attractive due to reliable OS and its features working as advertised. I know iPhone has its own issues too, but Apple and AT&T at least admitted those issues and acted proactively to resolve them.

What are you guys thinking about your Moment? Please share your experiences...

Journeyman

Have you tried emailing dan@sprint.com ? The folks over there are very good at solving problems. Maybe you can be charming enough to talk them into giving you an EVO!

Journeyman

My moment sucks.  I called sprint executive services and talked with Mike Govea.  I got nothing accomplished except the recommendation to send to Samsung, which I did and did nothing (in fact the original NEW phone is at Samsung right now for the second time, I kidnapped one of sprint's refurbs and got permission to use it until Samsung send my original new one back.  My New one is 5 weeks old and has spent 4 of those 5 weeks in transit or at Samsung).  I filed a BBB complaint and Sprint is working that right now.

I currently think I will have to sue them to get out of contract and I will leave sprint and go to AT&T or nTelos.

Yes, I've filed to FCC complaints before.  verizon drastically cut my service area when they took over Alltel.  Then they refused to do anything about it, or let me out of my contract.  I filed a FCC complaint and got a form letter back like 2 months later, just confirming their receipt of my complaint, and basically that it will be put on the verizon pile.

Journeyman

Oh boy... so you're basically in the same boat with me. I will try BBB and sending email to dan@sprint.com during this weekend.

BTW, I came to really hate words starting with 'S' like Sprint, Samsung, Scammer, Swindler...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat