cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Bluetooth Support except for... using the phone as a phone? No voice dial from Bluetooth.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Full Bluetooth Support except for... using the phone as a phone? No voice dial from Bluetooth.

So I got the Moment because my last phone (HTC Touch) was absolutely worthless and had been replaced 3 times in less than a year. I finally got the Moment activated and was really liking it until I tried to voice dial from my Plantronics Pro headset. Come to find out, the Android phones don't do voice dial from BT and the issue (with Android) hasn't been resolved for over a year. Thing is, I specifically told the Sprint tech that was helping me order my replacement phones that this was a necessary feature. It is conveniently omitted in most of the reviews....

Does anybody know of an app or workaround that will allow this to function?

17 REPLIES 17
Patron

Re: Full Bluetooth Support except for... using the phone as a phone? No voice dial from Bluetooth.

I really can't help - but I will say that Bluetooth support is in general a mess.

I have a stereo bluetooth headset - and it keeps on not coming up in stereo mode - it will work for phone audio but not for media audio until I go into the bluetooth options for the device (long touch on the device name in the bluetooth settings) and reenable it - and it ends up being something I have to "play with".

Sometimes nothing serves but a power cycle.

Sometimes the scan will not bring up device names, just serial numbers, and I have to power cycle the phone.

Since the phone does not work well for some minutes after being power cycled, until everything starts, power cycling is an event.

For use as a car phone, hands free, the bluetooth works fine.  Sometimes I have to pull over, and force connection in the BT menus.

Journeyman

Re: Full Bluetooth Support except for... using the phone as a phone? No voice dial from Bluetooth.

Well at least I am not the Lone Ranger in the bluetooth department.   My Samsung Moment will pair with our 2005 Lexus RX330 but will not connect most of the time.  Sometimes forcing a reconnect works, sometimes power cycleing the phone works, sometimes cycleing the bluetooth works, but nothing is consistannt.

This should be a priority as many states require handsfree phone use.  Guess I will just have to sue Sprin, Samsun and Google when I get thrown in jail over an accident becuase I was fiddling with my bluetooth.

Mark

Journeyman

I honestly haven't had much trouble with keeping the device connected. It is MUCH better than the HTC touch I am about to throw out the window. On the other hand, since I can't voice dial, I don't use it as much either. Hoping Sprint or Samsung will have some better news for us soon, or I may have to take this baby back. I Love the phone, just can't stand it being crippled. Anybody with any Hacks or apps they are aware of?

Journeyman

I have also been having trouble with it connecing, but only in the last 2 weeks.   NOw everytime I am in range or turn my bluetooth Jabra on, I have to manually go through the settings and click "Connect" for it to work.   It used to just pick up and start working.    Is there a way to turn auto-connect on?

The device is paired and shows "paired but not connected" until I click on it and it connects.    Even if I cycle the power on the bluetooth device it does not connect.   This is very frustrating when trying to answer a call in the car to find out it's not connected.

Any suggestions?  What's odd is that it used to auto-connect just fine 9/10 times.

Journeyman

Amen, mis represntation BIG TIME

Voice dialing over bluetooth doesn't work on Android period...doesn't matter which version or which phone, it just isn't supported.

Journeyman

Voice dial over bluetooth now works.  I'm presuming the CL14 patch fixed it.

Journeyman

You may be close the phone and think its working.. Go 20' away and try it. It does not work Android 1.5 does not support it.  Now 2.1 we just don/t know for sure some say Yes it does and some say no it does not. I know for sure 2.0 on Motorola DROID it does not work at all! No one must really care or i think we see a app on the market to operate all the bluetooth operations.

Journeyman

You may be close the phone and think its working.. Go 20' away and try it. It does not work Android 1.5 does not support it.  Now 2.1 we just don/t know for sure some say Yes it does and some say no it does not. I know for sure 2.0 on Motorola DROID it does not work at all! No one must really care or i think we see a app on the market to operate all the bluetooth operations.

It seems to work for me as well.  I will test out your 20ft away theory.   So far what I have noticed is that I can now initiate the Voice Dial through my Jabra.  Pre-Cl14 I could not.   Now I click the button on my Jabra and it beeps (through the Jabra) and says "Say a Command" (through the Jabra)   I say "Call 123 456 7890" or "Call John Smith at Work" and it does so.  I was also able to run through the entire "Adaptation Process" via the BlueTooth.

So even if it's still using the mic on the phone and not using the mic via BT (which would be a strange design flaw), it's still definitely an improvement.

Now it has paused/frozen a couple times; however that was just using Voice Dial by itself (no BT) and that was also a major problem with pre-CL14 as well.

Message was edited by: stesprint2009

Journeyman

lynfordd wrote:

I closed my phone away in my glove compartment and it still worked fine.   Again the Voice Dial software itself may not be the best, but at least now it functions the same with BT as it does without. So Android 1.5 must support it or at least allow it as Sprint/Samsung have it working now.

As for the Droid, you are right - my coworker can't voice dial with it.

Journeyman

I can't call it full Bluetooth support based on a couple of things besides those mentioned previously.

To listen to your voicemail you have to have a stereo BT connection, not a regular BT headset. 

One thing I really miss that was on my Instinct was the ability to get caller ID over my BT headset.  It had a on/off switch in the ringers for voice notification.  I believe it was a function of the BT voice software because it was the same voice as the BT voice dialing.  The BT software was made by Voice Signal which has been bought by Nuance, the current voice dial software on the Moment.  The voice on the current software is the same and the voice dial interface is essentially the same.  I'm curious why this is no longer available.

This was such a great feature because I get a lot of calls while driving and while out of my car.  It always announced the caller by name or phone number and I never had to look at my phone to determine if I wanted to answer a call.  I could be in meetings with the phone on and it would simply announce in my ear w/o anyone knowing.  I could decide to step out and take the call or sometimes answer it and tell the caller I'll call you right back very gently without ever having to look at my phone, just a simple touch to my ear button or a touch to reject the call .  In my car, as close to true hands free as needed, hear it announced, decide to answer or reject w/o having to look at my phone to see who was calling. I currently do not have a stereo BT and do not intend to drive around or sit in my office/meetings with a stereo headset on.

Some are getting ringtones through their car system but I have only my headset and get the same notification tone for every call. It is a company car w/o BT and I certainly am not going to install the system in a fleet car that I might not have tomorrow.  Besides I can't set a different ringtone for every unidentified caller.  I have callers that I might only talk to twice, I call them and they call me back one time.  I will remember the number I called so when it's announced I know to answer.  I am not going to the trouble to set those one time callers in my phone book with their own ringtone.

I certainly miss that feature and know this is falling on deaf ears at Google, Samsung and Sprint but hopefully someone will see this and come up with a solution to return this feature,especially with all the hands free laws coming into law.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat