cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard reset?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Hard reset?

I had the exact same problem today.  I too also have open home and weather widget installed.  Sometimes it would actually boot to the home screen but then quickly revert back to the "Android" logo.  I was all set to return it when I stumbled upon a way to reset the device using the built-in menu.  I simply pressed and held both call buttons, i.e., dial and hangup or the red and green phone buttons on the front.  It started the voice app which I exited out of and then said open home was not responding.  I just left the "open home" error as is and pressed menu to get back to a factory reset.  Hope this helps.

Byte

Journeyman

yea sorry about it being for the hero, i figured the the touch buttons would respond after the power button was hit. it was worth a shot ;-)

Journeyman

I can get my phone in to recovery mode, but I can't get New PC Studio to see it.

Journeyman

I just hard reset yesterday (I think OpenHome was the culprit)... but I was having continuous and unpredictable resets (would just flash to the 'android' logo screen and apparently soft reset.

All of the forum stuff I read about 'hard resetting' methods were super frustrating, especially the one about having to go into a sprint store.

Here's what I did... and it worked fine.

go to Menu, Settings, SD card & phone storage, then scroll to the bottom and Factory data reset

It seemed to do what it says, and my phone's working normally again. First, I backed up my applications with the Astro file manager (to my sd card). Then after the hard reset, I restored them, pretty much one at a time.

Lookin forward to this battery issue being resolved too... hangin tight at 15% for 2 hours with full charge 4 hours ago.. (sigh).

Journeyman

Ive been using Open Home since I started using the Moment. I have not had a single issue with it.

Journeyman

I'm in the same boat that pking was in.  This is my second Moment that is stuck on the "Android" screen.  I really like this phone, but this is a deal breaker for me.  I understand incompatibilities, but come on.  I have to go to a Sprint store to do a simple hard-reset?   That's an unbelievable waste of time.

For the record, I wasn't running Open Home.  Here are the apps that I had installed:

dxtop

ringdroid

flashlight (not sure which one)

bettercut

K9_beta

handcent

k

Journeyman

Validated what Sarah said, the only documented process to hard reset this phone is with a program only Sprint techs posess.  No idea why this is, hoping the community figures out a way around it - as ability to hard reset is a must for power users.  Maybe a Samsung thing?

On my touchpro - i probably averaged one hard reset a week as I was a little rom-crazy.

Journeyman

Access factory test mode, by powering down the device, removing all charging cables and the battery.

Replace the battery, hold the phone in your left hand and press Call with your ring finger, and the trackpad with your middle finger, hovering your pointer finger over the power button. Hit the power button while holding the other to, but have the usb or charger ready because you need to plug it in within half a second.

You will see the battery icon appear, then it will process to load. Do not release any of the buttons until the progress bar is half way through.

If done correctly,. the bar will flash a yellow/greenish color before going to a white screen with a menu. If the Sprint logo plays, it did not work, and start over from the beginning.

Once in the test menu, scroll all the way down to reset, press center button. Follow the directions on the screen.

This will factory reset it.

Source: I've done it, and I'm the one who rooted the phone, so I know a bit so far about the Moment

Sprint Product Ambassador

Zefie - you rule.  Keep on postin.

1) How / where'd you find this out?

2) Any chance you could post a video of it being done? That sounds fiddly.

Message was edited by: wengla02

Journeyman

I just tried it again and it isn't reseting the data, it just restarts the device out of test mode.

I know it did reset back to factory once before. That sucks.

I guess we have to wait until Samsung gives us a ROM file. There is a recovery/download mode, I am sure that Samsung could provide a exe that would flash the ROM back to stock for us.

HTC did it.