cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard reset?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Hard reset?

I can get my phone in to recovery mode, but I can't get New PC Studio to see it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just hard reset yesterday (I think OpenHome was the culprit)... but I was having continuous and unpredictable resets (would just flash to the 'android' logo screen and apparently soft reset.

All of the forum stuff I read about 'hard resetting' methods were super frustrating, especially the one about having to go into a sprint store.

Here's what I did... and it worked fine.

go to Menu, Settings, SD card & phone storage, then scroll to the bottom and Factory data reset

It seemed to do what it says, and my phone's working normally again. First, I backed up my applications with the Astro file manager (to my sd card). Then after the hard reset, I restored them, pretty much one at a time.

Lookin forward to this battery issue being resolved too... hangin tight at 15% for 2 hours with full charge 4 hours ago.. (sigh).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ive been using Open Home since I started using the Moment. I have not had a single issue with it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm in the same boat that pking was in.  This is my second Moment that is stuck on the "Android" screen.  I really like this phone, but this is a deal breaker for me.  I understand incompatibilities, but come on.  I have to go to a Sprint store to do a simple hard-reset?   That's an unbelievable waste of time.

For the record, I wasn't running Open Home.  Here are the apps that I had installed:

dxtop

ringdroid

flashlight (not sure which one)

bettercut

K9_beta

handcent

k

Highlighted
Journeyman

Validated what Sarah said, the only documented process to hard reset this phone is with a program only Sprint techs posess.  No idea why this is, hoping the community figures out a way around it - as ability to hard reset is a must for power users.  Maybe a Samsung thing?

On my touchpro - i probably averaged one hard reset a week as I was a little rom-crazy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Access factory test mode, by powering down the device, removing all charging cables and the battery.

Replace the battery, hold the phone in your left hand and press Call with your ring finger, and the trackpad with your middle finger, hovering your pointer finger over the power button. Hit the power button while holding the other to, but have the usb or charger ready because you need to plug it in within half a second.

You will see the battery icon appear, then it will process to load. Do not release any of the buttons until the progress bar is half way through.

If done correctly,. the bar will flash a yellow/greenish color before going to a white screen with a menu. If the Sprint logo plays, it did not work, and start over from the beginning.

Once in the test menu, scroll all the way down to reset, press center button. Follow the directions on the screen.

This will factory reset it.

Source: I've done it, and I'm the one who rooted the phone, so I know a bit so far about the Moment

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Zefie - you rule.  Keep on postin.

1) How / where'd you find this out?

2) Any chance you could post a video of it being done? That sounds fiddly.

Message was edited by: wengla02

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just tried it again and it isn't reseting the data, it just restarts the device out of test mode.

I know it did reset back to factory once before. That sucks.

I guess we have to wait until Samsung gives us a ROM file. There is a recovery/download mode, I am sure that Samsung could provide a exe that would flash the ROM back to stock for us.

HTC did it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is not a reset from off, but thought it would be useful here for others:

1) Click on Menu

2) Settings

3) SD Card & Phone

3) Rest Phone

Resets to factory defaults.

Hope this helps...

Message was edited by: stesprint2009

Highlighted
Journeyman

stesprint2009 wrote:

This is not a reset from off, but thought it would be useful here for others:

1) Click on Menu

2) Settings

3) SD Card & Phone

3) Rest Phone

Resets to factory defaults.

Hope this helps...

Message was edited by: stesprint2009

It is, but we are looking for a way to do that if we can't boot into the OS to get to that setting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd like to say to everyone that we DO now have a way to restore and reset the Moment, however it uses some unauthorized leaked tools so I don't think I can post anything here sadly.

Well, I'll post it and an admin can remove it if they need to. Its not any sprint internal tools but is Samsung's.

Personally, it is quite SAD that Samsung has made us have to use unauthorized tools just to fix our phone.

With that said, I will say there IS A recovery mode, but Samsung either disabled it, or broke it.

Hold Vol. Down + Call + Power, and the device will reboot loop. This is because the recovery program keeps crashing. Blame Samsung.

Here is the info for the firmware reload (aka factory restore):

http://fileserv.co.cc/zefie/android/samsung_moment/

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Zefie,

I would like to thank you for this bit of information (as well as your attempts at rooting the phone). I actually bricked my Moment twice within the first 30 days of owning it. Had something to do with multiple downloads/installs, all at once, from the Market. It would eventually just stop downloading and would no longer communicate with the Market. I rebooted my phone by pulling the battery and it got stuck on the Android loading screen upon bootup. This was about 2 weeks ago, and although I found how to get to the boot screen you described, there was nothing i could do once getting there. I had to return the device to Best Buy each time for a new replacement. I called Samsung to confirm there was not a way to do a factory restore and to let them know there needs to be a way for the end user to "hard reset" like there is on virtually every phone on the market.

Now that I am out of my 30 day return window, it is nice to know I have a way to recover my phone if it happens again.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat