cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey Sprint reps....a lil' help....google voice search

Journeyman

Hey Sprint reps....a lil' help....google voice search

Hey Sarah or others....can you ask around as to the decisioning to leave out such an important google feature as the google voice search?  Im really second guessing my decision on this phone over that feature.  Not only does the google search use this but quite a few other apps seek to access it.  It renders their capabilities useless.

I would be curious to add if this will be a feature to come in OS updates.

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Hey Sprint reps....a lil' help....google voice search

Sorry, what do you want?

Google Voice search directly integrated into the Samsung Moment?

(does any phone have that?)

Or Google Voice search available from the free Google Voice app in the Marketplace?

(you'd need to ask Google for that)

Or to be able to search your Google Voice messages from the google.com/voice mobile webpage?

(you can do that right now)

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee

Google Voice Search is available in a few Android phones such as the HTC G1 and Mytouch 3G.  Google added it to Android for the 1.1 release.

Cool!  So how's that work?  (we don't have MyTouch's or G1's to play with)

I have no idea what will be added in any future releases - but it sounds interesting.  Does that mean that Google Voice is pretty well directly integrated into the phone and you don't need to use the marketplace app?

Journeyman

I want the same google voice search that the HERO has.  You know, the little mic symbol next to the GOOGLE search magni-glass.  You tap it and instead of typing into google search, you speak it.  The Sprint HERO has this, the Moment doesn't.

This isn't a google issue.  I found the app for it.  It does not run on the Moment.

Heck, even the Instinct has Live Search.  Why doesn't the Moment?

Journeyman

"Cool!  So how's that work?  (we don't have MyTouch's or G1's to play with)

I have no idea what will be added in any future releases - but it sounds interesting.  Does that mean that Google Voice is pretty well directly integrated into the phone and you don't need to use the marketplace app?"

Google Voice and Google Voice Search are two different things.  Check out a Hero.  You'll see what I am looking for.  On some of the other Moment forums out there, this subject is getting a lot of attention.  Can't believe this is the first thread about it on Sprint's site.

Google Voice Search does tie into Google Voice Dialer in some apps (such as Handcent SMS). The voice search allows Google Search to work like Live Search on other Sprint feature phones.

I just wonder if Nuiance is interfering with Google Voice Search.  But, it would seem that apps that needed GVS could tap that while features that use Nuiance could tap that.

Thanks for bubbling this up if you can.

Oh!  Voice Search.  Not Google Voice search.

Where you talk, and it gets translated to text.

I thought you were talking about the Google Voice switchboard / SMS / VOIP product.

Journeyman

Yes,

There is a Google Voice...that is tied to a google mail account.  In that you get a phone number, voice mail, sms, etc.....  There there is GOOGLE voice search...which is an app that allows you to speak into the google search engine (as well as speak to text in some other apps like Handcent SMS).  The Hero has voice search.  Why doesn't t the Moment.  It will not work on the Moment if you load the app on it.

Journeyman

Nuance is not as robust as other speech to text applications

Very upset that Nuance may be blocking out functionality for an open source operating system like Android. Part of the reason I purchased an Android based phone was because the operating system fosters all sorts of 3rd party development and growth. Yet this can't happen with the Samsung Moment because Nuance seems to be blocking excellent applications like Handcents Voice to Text feature, or even Google Voice Internet searching which is even built in the browsers other phones (HTC) in the Sprint line-up.

Nuance is great for hands free dialing. That's about it. But if want to look something up (directions, a restuarant review, the latest showtimes) I have to pull over and use the keyboard. I am sort of jealous of the fact that this feature is available on so many other phones. My friend has this on his Cliq and I was stunned to see him speak into the phone and quickly bring up a restaurant review as we were heading out to eat.

I am hoping that this gets addressed when Android 2.0 firmware updates hit the phone in 2010 (according to Sprints twitter announcment!)

If it's not included in this update I will be a very unhappy camper.

Journeyman

Re: Nuance is not as robust as other speech to text applications

Hands down the Live Search feature on the Samsung Instinct was one of the best.  I was very disappointed to see it didn't come with the Samsung Moment and I'm seriously thinking about turning it back in before my 30 day return period expires and just sticking with my Samsung Instinct. I also noticed that the Moment battery doesn't have half the life of the Instinct and I'm constantly having to charge it.  These two things are major issues for anyone used to the Instinct. Come on Sprint/Samsung.. get with the program and fix this now please.

Journeyman

Re: Nuance is not as robust as other speech to text applications

I created this account just to comment on this in the hopes that Sprint will take this into account.  I first purchased an HTC Hero and LOVED the fact that you could search Google just by speaking into the phone.  It worked very reliably with no prior "training" and even my friends with foreign accents could use it with good results.  But I needed a keyboard, so I exchanged the phone for a Samsung Moment and was astonished to find that feature was missing. Instead we have Nuance, which basically does NOT WORK even after being trained to the user's voice.  It is USELESS.  Any ambient noise (such as when you are in a car) totally prevents it from working.  Moreover, even if it did work, it does not allow you to do a Google search.  I am hopeful that Sprint will somehow change the OS on this phone to ELIMINATE the useless Nuance program (or at least make it optional) and PROVIDE the opportunity to search Google by use of voice.

Journeyman

I totally agree on Google Voice Search.  Many excellent apps use the GVS interface which is rendered useless by Nuance.

Also, Nuance takes up to 30 seconds to even load initially, even in expert mode.  I used to use Microsoft Voice Command on my previous Touch Pro and loved it.  I'm sure I sold many TPs just by showing off this feature to my friends.  The look on their face when I said "what time is it?" or "when is my next appointment?" was great!

When I found the Moment does not have, and apparently actively defeats Google Voice Seach, it was a major bummer for me. I can only hope that reasonable heads will prevail and the ability to use a great Android feature will be restored.

Otherwise, I hope that whoever was responsible for the Nuance implementation will be cursed to use it on every phone they ever have forever.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat