cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hold on, folks! Don't give up on the Moment's battery yet.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hold on, folks! Don't give up on the Moment's battery yet.

Everyone suffering from what is being called horrible battery life on the Samsung Moment should read my experience with it:

I bought my Moment 10 days ago, and the first thing I noticed was the horrible battery life (to the tune of 4-5 hours-- and that is 4-5 hrs. of STANDBY not talk time as it should be).  After taking the phone off the charger, the battery indicator would show 80% within minutes, then 60% after 15 minutes, then down to 15% within a couple hours.  I started scouring posts regarding battery issues hoping to get a solution because I really liked the phone and didn't want to return it. Most users reported similar battery issues, some claimed to see improvement with certain "fixes", but most agreed that the Moment has horrible battery life or at least a seriously faulty battery indicator. A couple Moment owners, however, reported excellent battery life (36 hours with moderate use!).

After going through about 150-200 posts both on the Android blog and on the Sprint discussion board, I compiled all the recipes and fixes proposed by users. I then tried all of those recipes:

-  Disabling GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, no video playing, etc.: This kind of defeats the purpose of owning a smart phone, but I still did it.  Still, the phone died after a few hours just on standby and a few minutes of talk time!

-  Battery conditioning (the fully-charge-battery-then-fully-drain-it-and-repeat-several-times method): After doing this for five consecutive days, there was little improvement. The phone still died after 6-7 hours with little use and with GPS, bluetooth and WiFi off!

-  I downloaded Taskiller: I used it very often to kill all running apps. That didn't work (and some applications restarted themselves immediately after being killed).

-  Assuming that the problem was with a power-hungry third-party application that was running in the background, I did a factory reset and then deleted all widgets on the home screen (the ones that shipped with the phone: Weather, NFL, TV).  That didn't improve the battery life either.

I was about to take the phone back to Sprint, yesterday, when SOMETHING INCREDIBLE happened:  I took the phone off the charger at 10 a.m.,  enabled GPS and bluetooth and started using the phone casually expecting it to die after a few hours like it did in each of the previous 8 days.  But after three hours (when the battery used to be down to 60%), the indicator still showed 100%. I was shocked!

As I am typing this, it has been 32 hours since the last charge and the battery status is at 40%. I made a few phone calls yesterday and today, browsed quite a few web pages, used Google maps, exchanged several text messages, checked my email a few times.  This means the battery life is as good or even better than the specifications and the reviews say.

I am still in shock and very curious to know what happened yesterday. So what happened?  Yesterday was the first time I charge the phone from my computer with the USB cable. Could that have been the magic potion?  Also yesterday, for the first time I implemented the following tips suggested by SarahKS (a Sprint Administrator):

- Turn off data and voice call roaming

- Turn off Auto-Sync for Google applications

- Turn off Window Animations

At any rate, there is one fact that cannot be denied:  The trouble that I and others had with the battery can be resolved, and Samsung should get to work on this issue immediately. The bottom line: The Samsung Moment ranks at the top of smart phones when it comes to battery life! 

53 REPLIES 53
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Sarah - how's yours doing?

Seems odd that charging off a USB port in the computer would give better battery life, unless it's because it's a slower charge.  Most PC usb ports only provide 500ma, while the charger is 800ma.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

The USB charge does take longer but it definitely seems to help the phone last longer. I charge with the wall charger at night and then top of with the usb when I get to work. It lasts nearly two full days easily now. I use it all day long whether emails or web or games and texts and calls both with BT and just the phone. This is by far the best phone I have ever used!

Highlighted
Journeyman

@latinmaxima - does your battery appear to report correctly?  I've noticed my battery life has significantly increased since i first got the phone, but the reporting is sporadic at best.  I hold for 4-5 hours at 15% - and tonight it hovered between3-5% for about 5 hours (2 x 20 minute phone calls and medium use during that time).

I ran it dead and i'll try the trickle charge method tonight.  We'll see what happens.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too am suddenly getting 36 hours plus. Not doing the tips that Sarah suggests. Like you said what's a smartphone worth buying for without using the stuff. But I did do the full charge a couple times with the USB.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for your post. We just purchased 3 moment's and have had them 2 days. We had read about the battery life and were hoping there is a way to improve it because we too like the phones. I am hopeful that the charger is the solution to the problem. I may have sent my phone back without having found your post. I have mine plugged into the USB right now, so wish us  luck!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am experiencing a longer battery life after having the phone nearly 20 days. Some improvement is seen when I don't keep it on auto-sync. I try to keep killing unused apps as well as following the other advise when possible. It seems that the usb cable charge may be an interesting remedy.

David

Highlighted
Journeyman

Charging with the USB did it for me. My phone lasted from 8am yesterday to 9pm tonight with pretty good usage, and even though the battery said 15% at 6pm it still made it through an hour on the phone from 8-9 (being used as a baby monitor). Great phone. I hope that it improves a little more, but it's enough for me to keep it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I find it strange that the lower powered (500mA if memory serves) charge provided by the USB port seems to be providing a better charge than the AC charger.  Defect in the charging circuit somewhere perhaps?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Charging through USB should make zero difference.  Putting the battery through a few full cycles should help the phone calibrate the battery meter so it is a bit more accurate.  The capacity of a lithium ion battery will be at it's max right when it leaves the factory and shortly after.  Pretty much the second it leaves the factory, it begins losing capacity, which is roughly 20% per year.  This is the reason lithium ion batteries generally only have a usable life cycle of a couple years.

Highlighted
Journeyman

>>I find it strange that the lower powered (500mA if memory serves) charge provided by the USB port seems to be providing a better charge than the AC charger.  Defect in the charging circuit somewhere perhaps?

I have rechargeable AA batteries at home along with a quick charger, charges the battery in about 30 minutes, and a slow-trickle charger, charges it to full capacity in a few hours.  Trickle-charged batteries seem to last longer than the quick-charged ones.  I'm no electrical engineer, but my guess is that the lower current used by the trickle charges allows it to give the batttery a more "full" charge.

Maybe this explains why charging the Moment using the lower current USB charger leaves the battery with more power than charging with the wall charger?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Heat is your main enemy with charging batteries.. The hotter the battery gets, the less actual amperage it is able to hold...

To dumb down the reasoning.. Think of V = IR where V is the target voltage of the battery pack that the phone is charging at... Resistance(R) is a constant so the only unknown is current (I)...  V/R = I.. if resistance is held at a constant then the way the battery charges is V = I so when the voltage hits the target you know you have the correct current (amps) in the battery...

BUT when a battery or any other cell heats up.. R = R(o)*(1+alpha(T-T(0)) meaning Resistance is temperature dependent.. the higher T gets from original temperature (T(0)) the larger the resistance gets

Since Resistance is indirectly proportionate to current (I) the larger R gets the small I gets... If you go back to V(Target) = I(1) and V(Target) = I(2)R you will notice that V(1) (target voltage) remains teh same

so I(1) = I(2)R... I(1)/R = I(2)... if resistance increases the current that the phone thinks is full actually decreases...

One thing you have to know is the battery meter is actually determining the voltage of the cell.. Not the current in the cell (since current meters need to be installed in series and have to have a theoretical resistance close to 0 which is near impossible).. So what you see in the meter is a representation on what the voltage of the battery is

Basically all i proved and demonstrated is that if temperature increases, the battery will absorb less actual current and still think the battery is full based upon the Voltage it reads.. When the battery cools this voltage decreases as resistance decreases

When you use a rapid charger, it heats up the battery because it is pumping more current through the battery faster... when you use a slower trickle charge it keeps temperature more stable as it charges...

Message was edited by: numus

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat