cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to delete apps but can't

Patron

I want to delete apps but can't

Why does there not seem to be a way to eliminate apps I'll never use?  I don't care for football, nascar, bejeweled, facebook, and a bunch of other pre-installed apps just taking screen space and memory from apps I do want to use.  I purchased my droid phone for the customization, and yet I think what ever is preventing me from deleting these apps is contrary to this promise.  Is there a way for my purchase to meet my expectations?

Message was edited by: bbr4nd0n

14 REPLIES 14

Re: I want to delete apps but can't

Facebook isnt' a pre-installed app.  Neither are the other icons next to it.  They are links to web pages.

As for the apps that are actually in the launcher (football, nascar, etc) you would need root access to be able to remove them.

Patron

Risking my warranty and turning the phone into a brick just to tidy up my screens is absurd.  There should be a way for the average consumer to do this simple function, and there is no acceptable excuse.  Even if facebook and espn are links, I still haven't found a way to delete them or change them into links that would be useful to me.  I feel like Sprint is trying to exercise control over my phone in a way that really doesn't benefit either party - useless apps annoy the customer and will not benefit Sprint in any way if I never use them.  I'm thinking there must be some marketing agreement with these companies but any limitations of those agreements should be expressly spelled out BEFORE I sign a 2 year contract.  They could avoid this by saying something like "We know you want to buy a phone with the most customizable interface on the market, but in order for us to make a few extra dollars we have restricted functionality and you cannot customize certain aspects of the operating system.  Sorry, but if you want this phone you have to work around nuisances we've installed and in order to make sure you cannot remove these nuisances we've restricted your ability to do simple things like deleting icons."

Most phones come with stuff you can't delete...from all providers. It's just the way it is. If you want to get rid of the facebook,cnn,espn and you tube icons try touching and holding them until the phone vibrates and drag them to the trash can. If customizing your phone is so important you might want to spend a little time learning how the os works...  You can remove anything on the homescreens this way but if it is linked to an app it does not remove the app.

Message was edited by: jknutson74

Patron

I agree that most companies do this, but when one of the biggest selling points is being customizable it comes off as disingenuous.  I don't blame them for having stuff pre-installed, but not allowing uninstallation is confusing.

Wizard

I don't believe that Sprint, or Google, ever said "Every single aspect of the operating system and software of this phone is customizable."  Many aspects are customizable; some are not.  The memory where those apps are installed is not user-accessible, so removing the apps would not give you more memory for another app or data anyway.  Remove the icons if you want, and move on to worrying about more important issues.

Journeyman

Actually the place that apps are installed to is accessable to advanced users. So it CAN be done, if you know where to look and how to get there. Do uninstall the applications that Sprint just HAS to put on our phones, can be removed from the /system/app file with root and ONLY with root. So your choices are root your phone and remove the bloatware or dont and quit complaining. Oh and just FYI, if you were to brick your phone trying to do something to it, and its inoperable...and by inoperable I mean will not boot up AT ALL no matter what you or anybody else tries. Who cares, Sprint can never find out, because its bricked. It will be replaced with another one.

Journeyman

Hello all

In resonse to wasbakntyme and LSanna1488. You can delete preinstalled apps with root but the directory the apps are in will never be accessible to users as memory. So say u have 220 mb of space for apps and 100mb for space for preinstalled apps, if u delete the preinstalled u can never add that memory to be used for storage for apps. It is hardwired in. The only reason to delete these apps is because it may free up some ram space, Because opening certain apps may open the preinstalled ones and use up some ram. Also when powering your phone on, all preinstalled apps load in the background so they are ready if u need them and will load faster. This will use up some ram and may make other apps run a little slower. so just beware deleting preinstalled will not give the ability to add more memory only free up ram. Also this can be achieved by installing a task killer and not risking your phone by rooting it.

Journeyman

You are correct Barker, I guess I should have worded my response more clear. In no way did I want to make it sound like the space these apps are installed is available to make more room for more apps. Just available to remove these apps off the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I dragged them down to get them off my screen.  I feel the same way though.

Nascar must be paying them big bucks.

I doubt NASCAR pays Sprint anything...it is called the "NASCAR Sprint Cup" after all.

When they had the official NFL app...Sprint was the one paying the NFL for the rights to the app, not the other way around.

Journeyman

For all the crying about apps and where the memory is....blah blah blah

What is important is that we be able to control what programs start so that these useless applications are not running down our precious little battery time. This is my gripe. I know there are apps that help but there should be a start-up/disable list available to users for battery consideration purposes.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat