cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invisible Shield for the Moment

Journeyman

Invisible Shield for the Moment

I know it is almost impossible to find these, but here is the link to the Zagg Website. http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/samsung-moment-sph-m900-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shi...

17 REPLIES 17
Journeyman

Re: Invisible Shield for the Moment

I had one on my pre, but the texture of zaggs invisible shield is rubbery.. which is a problem for touch screens. I switched back to a boxwave screen protector. they make them for the Moment: http://www.boxwave.com/products/easyfinder/buy-best-samsung-moment-sph-m900-accessories_3773.htm

Journeyman

If anyone is interested in these, I would like to share my experience with the Invisible Shield on the Moment...

I ordered a full body kit from Zagg about 3 weeks ago, received it about 3 days later, and installed.  The front screen protector lines up perfectly and actually looks very nice.  The sides, top, and bottom fit nicely, however, I did notice the top piece had a few sharp edges that would catch on things making it want to peel off.  The back cover... I did NOT like at all.  It gives the Moment a very unattractive glossy look, and did not line up very well with the small "bumps" on the back of the phone.  To get them to line up ALMOST correctly, I had to offset the back by a few mm which made the cutout for the camera look like it was completely wrong.

Despite the back protector, I decided to keep the shield installed.  Once I got over the "newness" of the protector and started noticing a few things about it, I finally decided to remove it and request a refund from Zagg yesterday.  Here were the problems that I encountered:

1.  The cutout on the front cover for the light and proximity sensors are so precisely cut that it is actually too close to the sensors.  I noticed there were times where the proximity sensor would appear to go nuts when on a speaker phone call, turning the screen on and off repeatedly.  This really became annoying when I was trying to dial numbers and couldn't, until the screen would come out of darkness and unlock

2.  Sensitivity of the screen to touch became noticeably hindered.  I thought this would clear up after I waited the 12-24 hour period that Zagg recommends after installation for the protector to dry and cure.  However, it didn't... sometimes the phone just wouldn't sense my finger.  I noticed this was worse when I was outside in cold weather.

3.  The dreaded "orange peel" effect.  This is a complaint that alot of people have about Invisible shields.  Some people like it.  I didn't.  It's hard to explain, but if you look at the screen, you can notice a strange pattern that almost looks like the surface of an orange.  While it didn't really affect the clarity of the screen, it was just annoying to look at.

4.  Last complaint was the "gummy" feel of the protector.  Again, this one is hard to put into words... the screen wasn't sticky or tacky, but running your finger over the screen gave a feeling like the protector wasn't solid, but had some give to it.  This made my finger sort of skip across the screen instead of smoothly sliding across like it did before I applied the shield.

I don't want this to sound like a rant... the Invisible Shield I received was a very high quality product.  Zagg was very quick in getting the cover to me and they were great to work with when I requested my refund.  It's just the shield didn't meet my expectations and had some quirks I just couldn't get over.

Hope this helps!

Journeyman

http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/23286-comparison-clearfreak-vs-phantom-skinz.html?highlight=comparison%3A+clearfreak

Sounds like the invisible shields are a lot like Clearfreak.

Journeyman

I bought my Zagg from Best Buy, the front only, and paid them to apply it.  Its a perfect match for the phone.  It looks like its part of the phone, absolutely no bubbles or "orange peel" affect.  The employees at Best Buy's mobile area are trained to install these and it was very much worth the $7.99 extra to have it done.

Journeyman

eight bucks to get the film wet and put it on your phone? That's appalling.

Journeyman

Convenience tax.  If they get it right the first time, it's worth the eight bucks, esp. if you have shaky hands or you're a perpetual klutz like me.  Simple reason why I'm in computer science... I've injured myself more with a hammer than I ever have with a USB plug.  (Well, to be fair, there's this one time...)

I got my first one put on wrong, ended up paying for another one, since Zagg doesn't allow warranty claims on bad installation.  (No freebie if you did it wrong in the first place.)  Being it cost $20 for the front-only shield, I'd pay $28 if it meant it was on correctly.

Do-it-yourself isn't for everyone... just be mindful and know that except on cars, labor is never worth paying for if it's over 50% of the cost of the product itself.

Journeyman

I had the Invisible Shield on my Moment for 2 days. I don't mind the "orange peel" effect, but the touch screen was just too tacky/rubbery with the shield installed. The Ghost Armor version is much, much better IMO.

Journeyman

Too all, thanks for your input.... I ordered the full set. I have no idea what it is but it was $10 more. I would be happy with a proper carrying case to protect it. I am just scared I will throw it in my pocket with my keys or worse some kind of sharp tool while at work.

All positive comments for or against Invisible shield are welcome.

@ BAnh1126: Cool link... I was wondering where to find the car mount since I primarily use the phone for GPS, and TV/Video on my lunch breaks while I eat my yummy (MSG filled) fast food!

Journeyman

I just got the Moment and am looking at screen protects.  I need one just for the screen.  I see here you guys have tried the Phantom, clear freak, Zagg, and Clear Touch.

I've got it narrowed down to the Clear Touch and the Phantom (thanks to your post).  I want one that feels nice and works really well with the phone.  No increased difficulties navigating the screen via touch.

Which one is the best?

Journeyman

I just ordered the XOSkins full body skin.  I'll post after I get it and try it out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Looks like of the two you mention the Phantom is thinner and therefore interferes less.

I'd rather not have to order something online and wait, and I've yet to check around locally. I really just want a basic screen protector- I don't imagine I'll be messing up the phone, but I want to be on the safe side as once there's a scratch, you're stuck with it.

The application process for these seems rather involved; the only other screen protectors I've applied were to my Nintendo DSi- these required absolutely no water or anything else- just line it up and carefully place it, and it stuck. It's never given me any trouble since. Why do these protectors involve water on the phone and protector? I'd rather avoid that if possible.

I'll be watching the thread to see what experience everyone has with their protector choices. I don't get the phone itself until Monday- hopefully- so I have some time to research this. Thanks to those that have posted info already.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat