cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Samsung Moment a Smart Phone?

Journeyman

Is Samsung Moment a Smart Phone?

if this phone is so smart why does it lock up all the time. why wonkt it let you answer calls when your on the internet or playing a game. why do you have to plug it in the wall if you want to check your email. why does it loose internet conection all the time. why do i have to reboot this thing 45 times a day. why does it load up on cache and no way to clear without downloading some stupid app. why wont it play the apps offered by the market. the lady at sprint told me that you can not download a bunch of apps and expect the phone to work. this is the worst phone ikve had in the 9 years ive been with sprint. 69.00 a month for a smart phone that can only make or recieve calls but not when your on line or playing a game. i really want to take the biggest hammer i have and just destroy this p.o.s. i wish they could fix it. android 2.1 did nothing for this phone and sprint will not do anything for me even though ikm a premire customer. what a joke. hey samsung check out htc they might have somthing.

17 REPLIES 17
Wizard

Re: Is Samsung Moment a Smart Phone?

toddcmoore wrote:

if this phone is so smart why does it lock up all the time. why wonkt it let you answer calls when your on the internet or playing a game. why do you have to plug it in the wall if you want to check your email. why does it loose internet conection all the time. why do i have to reboot this thing 45 times a day. why does it load up on cache and no way to clear without downloading some stupid app. why wont it play the apps offered by the market. the lady at sprint told me that you can not download a bunch of apps and expect the phone to work....

Wow.  Hopefully in the same order as your questions:  My Moment lets me answer calls when on the internet or playing a game.  Maybe the application you are using disables or slows the phone? I have never heard anyone say that they have to plug their phone in to the wall to check their email.  Are you saying that your phone will only connect to your email server if it is on external power?  What email application are you using?  There is a native method to clear app caches through Settings>Applications>Manage applications.  Not every app offerred by the market is well written, and some may not operate properly on the Moment, or maybe even on any device.  Read the user's comments posted on the market for the apps you have  trouble with.  A poorly-written app can make the phone do bizarre things.  Do you have all these problems after a fresh factory reset before downloading any apps?  I remember reading somewhere that some Android phones do not properly handle more than 70-something downloaded apps, but I do not remember where I saw that so I cannot check whether it applied to the Moment or whether 2.1 fixed it.  Do you have more than 70 apps downloaded?

Journeyman

long story..... i bought the phone in jan. thats when the problems started. when i started downloading i would loose internet and could not get back on line unless i shut the phone off and restarted. that happened about 14 to 20 times a day. at first i did get a little app crazy but kept it to around 50. the phone kept saying internal memory full and then goes to manage apps so you can unistall or is that where you clean your cache also. i didnt know. phone most of the time will not ring when on the internet or playing games it goes to voicemail. it rings 2 out of ten times. from a fully charged battery if you turn on the phone and check my email which takes all of five minutes the battery will be down to 70 percent. battery gets to 109 deg when charging. phone locks up black screen or wallpaper sideways and you have to pull the battery. if you download any wallpaper you have to shut the phone off and turn back on before the pictures show in your gallery. and that was before i got the 2.1 upgrade. since the 2.1 was installed twice by my local sprint store. i spent about 5 hrs there that day. a few things have changed. now just about every app i download forcecloses and my phone goes black and then back to start screen about every 3 to 5 minutes. it still looses internet and wont get back until i reboot phone. the battery still drains so fast. from full charge i can play papaya farm for 1 hr and the battery is gone so if the phone is on and i want to touch it it has to be plugged in. i have a total of five apps on my phone now cause all the apps forceclose or dont work right. why have an apps market full of apps that can not be run on the android phone. have you ever tryed to watch tv on sprint tv that a total joke the tv doesnt work well enough to watch anything the pictures all picsulated and freezes thats a joke to. this phone is good for only one thing and thats only if you can get a signal mines usually at 1 or2 bars then it jumps to 8 bars and then back to 1. ive been with sprint for quite a while and they say im a premire customer then why do they carge so much for a phone that does nothing that they say. im just tired of the bs. good luck if your tryin to help. im ready to take a hammer to it.

Wizard

Have you tried having the phone replaced under warranty?

Journeyman

Hello

sorry to hear about your problem. My first moment went into airplane mode atleast 4 times a day but after getting my first replacement i have not had this issue. Not all moments have this issue or the same rate of occurence. The reason this happens is because there is a problem with the signal handoff. Signal handoff is when u go from wifi to evdo(3g) or from evdo to 1x(basically 2g) or vice versa. Whether this is a hardware or software issue is unknown.

The good news is the moment 2 redubbed the samsung intercept is coming out july 11 and because this is a known issue it would probably be pretty easy to get a free upgrade to the intercept. That is if u have insurance and have gotten a few replacements.

Message was edited by: barker005

Journeyman

yes i have taken the phone down to the sprint store 3 or 4 times. they input all my complaints in there computer. they do hard restart i loose all my pictures and anything else not saved to sd and thats it. i have a few more issues i forgot to put down before. the phone forcecloses on messaging and when i plug it in to charge it says not approved battery this battery is not a approved battery. please use the approved battery and thats the battery that came in the phone. yeah ive tried everything i even pulled the sd card and did factory reset today just to get the phone so i can use it to make a call. it even focecloses on the weather channel app. no apps work on this phone.

Wizard

Have you had the phone replaced under warranty?

And a factory reset should not lose any pictures, as they are automatically stored on the sd card

Journeyman

wow the only problem i have every had is data lockup. My moment can run any app, apps that moto droid owners can not run cuz of moto blur.

If u pay for insurance u should take it back every single time u have the smallest problem. In the insurance policy after u recieve 2 refurb phones sprint has to give u a brand new never been used phone. It can be the same exact phone or one that is comperable. hence why i think getting the intercept for free should not be to hard.

Wizard

He does not need insurance to have it replaced under the warranty.  And you are mis-stating the insurance replacement terms.  Read the policy.

Journeyman

purchasing a phone for 475 dollars which is what i paid and not getting insurance is not smart. ive taken the phone to sprint store 4 times about the issues and each time they say theres nothing wrong with the phone and i go home try to play a game the phone locks up and i pull the battery and start all over again. even though im a premire customer i can not get any help for said issues.i only have 5 apps on my phone one being a cache cleaner since the phone loads up on cache and eats up the internal memory this is stupid. i probably dont know enough about how theses so called smart phones work but that just seams wrong. they have never offered me a replacement or anything that has changed the way the phone works. ive been there 4 times in 6 months but no help. i wish i could get an evo but the one i get will probably be defective.  lol i dont know what to do next. ive been unemployed since sept and am trying to get disability for the third time do to health issues. i can barrly afford the cell phone and when i cant get it to work or go online to check for jobs or the statis of my disability it just wrong. thank you for all your replys but i doubt that this issue will be resolved before my contract runs out. i do like sprint there plans are the best but customer relations and problem solving could use some work. try calling sprint those ppl have no idea about android updates or anything google or samsung. there clueless.

Journeyman

Yeah how am i miss-stating the insurance policy. I have been with sprint for 8 years have had many different phones. My girl had  a older blackberry and it kept messing up. she got a few refurbs then they said she cannot get any more refurbs under the insurance policy that they have to give her a new one. Guess what they no longer sold that phone so they said she can upgrade to pretty much any phone she wants and she got the moment. She still had almost a year left untill her contract was up. So from my experience it is possible and i have a few other friends who have gotten upgrades like this as well.

Wizard

Maybe one of your 4 apps is causing a cache problem?  Have you taken the phone in to a Sprint repair center while it was locked up?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat