cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it true that Sprint will NOT provide android 2.2 for the Samsung Moment?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is it true that Sprint will NOT provide android 2.2 for the Samsung Moment?

In early June  2010, I convinced five (5) of my friends to switch to Sprint and select the Samsung Moment as their Smartphone. I asked the Sprint  Rep. prior to the purchase, if Sprint  would be upgrading the Samsung Moment from Android 2.1 to the new Android 2.2? I was told "absolutely" by the Sprint Rep.

In less than 4 weeks of acquiring and activating their five (5) Samsung Moments, we are reading reports that say that Sprint will NOT provide an upgrade path for this very capable SmartPhone.  If this is true, Sprint is not being fair to their newly enrolled and former loyal customers who took a chance of going to a new Android offering by Sprint.

Most of Sprint's customers that selected the Samsung Moment over the HTC Hero did so realizing that they were purchasing a SmartPhone with a pure Android operating system with no added interface. We believed that the Samsung Moment,being a pure Andoid device, would assure that this SmartPhone would be easily upgradable to the lastest Android operating system for at least the near future. The Samsung Moment was first introduced with the error prone Android 1.5 operating system on November 1, ,2009. After being sold by Sprint for only seven months,Sprint provided their customers with only one (1)  Android operating system upgrade to Android 2.1.

Since the Samsung Moment is fully capable of running the new Android 2.2 operating system, Sprint should do the right thing and provide their entire Samsung Moment customer base with the vital improvements contained in the Android 2.2 upgrade, many of which are just fixes to problems included in the 2 previous Android versions provided by Sprint.

Message was edited by: sprintadvocate

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Journeyman

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

You're not paying $10 extra for 4G service. You're paying extra for data usage because the phone is faster and has more features.

I had the Moment and now have the Evo and it's the best thing I ever did. The extra $10 is well worth it IMO.

I gave my son my Moment and he likes it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

wengla02 wrote:

Best. Post. This. Week.

While I know you can't comment on anything particular on this situation, I have to say thanks for having a good sense of humor.

Now for the OP.

The decision to provide the update isn't 100% with Sprint, Samsung has a hand in whether or not the update happens.  If they take Google to the letter and believe them without trying it out when Google says Android 2.2 will not work on ARM v6 Processors or older (HTC Hero, Samsung Moment, among others), it doesn't matter if Sprint is ready to put out the update, Samsung won't let them.

More than one hand is at stake in the decision.

Highlighted
Journeyman

10 Years with Sprint...never tried another carrier because it was just too much energy.  But now I am truly upset!  I spent over an 1hour on the phone with a sprint rep told them what I wanted, was promised that the moment would deliver, with the upgrade but it didn't!  I am labeled a "premier customer" and after shaking out over $200 for a phone I get well baulks, just a lot of trouble:

• Bad battery life
  • Auto airplane mode
  • Crashes
  • Calls which take over 1/2 min to load
  • Calls which never end... have to battery out to reset

Compliant resulted in many visits to store and "new" moment, a phone which sprint no longer sells and which doesn't deliver as promised, it is not even 1 year.  If this is how they treat "premier customers" then I am sorry of the rank and file or is it just a label?  Does corporate even read our complaints, penny wise pound foolish, frankly I would rather pay a slightly higher rate per month and have company deliver what is promised, not false advert!

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Alternatively, Sprint could say, "Look, all you Moment users, if you are experiencing a problem, we will give you one of our latest and greatest handsets that comes with 2.2, if you complain about usability of 2.1 or something else with the Moment or 2.1 that we honestly can't fix...just extend your contract...." and that extends my decision point for 2 years." So instead of replacing the old phone with all the issues, deal with angry and upset customers what is Sprint doing about this.  Or must is voting with our money preferred?

Highlighted
Wizard

After 12 months and 5 Moments, I managed to get Android 2.2.  I got the LG Optimus S! 

After installing all of my apps, I can honestly say that this 600 Mhz processor is leaving my Moment in the dust!  It is completely functional and highly responsive.  It doesn't shut off randomly, battery pulls are unnecessary, I can turn wifi on and back off, and the GPS lock is lightning fast.  It is a HUGE relief to be rid of the Moment!  Folks, if you think the only way to get rid of lag is to upgrade to a 1 Ghz processor, then I highly recommend that you try the Optimus first.  IT JUST WORKS!  In addition to being free for now, you don't get the $10 monthly awesome fee.

I thought I would miss the keyboard, LED flash, trackpad, and light sensor, and I do miss them to a degree.  However, having a functional phone is a HUGE plus, far outweighing any of those features!  It is absolutely wonderful having a phone that consistently works!  And the GPS location is nearly instant!  I am not going to miss pulling over to the side of the road in order to get a GPS lock in 10 minutes.

When you have a phone that works 100% of the time, it is much better experience than having a faster phone that works 80% of the time.  LG has made a solid phone with the Optimus.

As for me, when I checked comparible plans for my family, it would be an additional $50 per month, or $1200 over two years.  Sprint may have dropped the ball on the Moment, but not a $1200 ball! If you are willing to spend that much money, you might as well add another line and get the phone you want.  I doubt the customer service at other carriers exceeds Sprint by a margin value of $50 every month.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there PC s/w for the Moment?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes. But you probably won't get a response in this thread regarding android 2.2.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat