cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just curious as to why Sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just curious as to why Sprint

So Verizon did this great giant ad campaign for their Android release, all over the news, magazines and TV.. Heard barely a peep out of Sprint other than some online ads.

All that Sprint really touted (and as I mentioned) very little there off was the HTC Hero, and hardly nothing about the Samsung Moment.

One has to wonder why. The Samsung Moment, despite a few annoying bugs, and the fact it is still stuck on old 1.5, the Moment is a superior phone to not just the Hero, but also the Droid / Sholes / Tao whatever they call it these days. I have had the Hero and traded it in after 2 weeks for the Moment. The Hero just does not have the horsepower to make Android smooth, and even less so Sense. I played with a Droid today, and yea, the screen looks great, but it STILL stutters and hesitates quite often. I was NOT tempted to get it (and Verizon service) after playing with it, and was happy to use my MUCH faster and smoother Moment.

It seems fiscally irresponsible to me for Sprint to NOT push a large ad campaign for its Android offerings in general and the Moment in particular.n (and yes I have spent years in upper management in large multinational companies, and I am aware of the costs of large advertisement campaigns, and no I am not working for large companies ever again).

Not that I expect an answer, or at best a canned response from Sprint here, but I wanted to put this out here never the less.

(and yes I have worked out all the bugs I saw in the Moment, and Samsung has responded to each of the reports I made to them, including the ones I posted questions about on this forum before).

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Journeyman

You would think that it was irresponsible. But if I had to guess, the reason Sprint isn't allocating funds to push the Moment is because they must allocate nearly all of their advertising funds to the Pre. I expect this is the case because I believe Sprint had to offer quite an incentive package to Palm in order to get the exclusive deal on the Pre (like AT&T did originally with the iphone).

Now combine that huge cost in obtaining the Pre, to the fact that the Pre is a terrible terrible terrible piece of hardware, and Sprint is stuck heavily advertising it to sell their Pre lemons, in order to try and overcome the Pre's negative reputation, and make back some of their losses.

So I don't think it's an issue of whether Sprint chose to not advertise the Moment, it's the fact that they are getting hammered by the Pre disaster.

Message was edited by: CriticalCritic

Message was edited by: CriticalCritic

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm curoius as to how you worked out all the bugs on the Moment.  I have recently picked up a Hero and a Moment and I've been much happier with the overal consistency of the Hero.  My Moment has had to have the battery pulled twice, bluetooth can't keep connected to save its life and we all know about the gps issues.

What has Samsung reported back on their ETA for a fix?  I'm actually in the process of returning mine but I'd be curious because I really wanted this phone and some things are nice but I just can't rely on it until it gets some of the kinks worked out of it, which includes the battery gauge issue and just in general horrible battery life, in my opinion.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Droiddevs

Thanks for this post. I love Sprint service that I have so much and I have virtually used all smartphone Sprint has on their line up. I must admit also that Samsung Moment is the best advanced Android hardware in the market currently. Just equally baffled that Sprint did not advertise this device at all. Not sure why. There is a lame excuse somewhere on this site that 'they have met their expected sales volume even without advertising'. I am not sure who is sitting on their top management position but they really need to shape up and give their competitors a run for their money.

Don't let a crisis go to waste, Sprint. We want you to survive and be the best.

• Roll out better phones.
  • Make use of Any mobile phone, Any time plan.
  • Use your network coverage and reliability to your advantage.
  • Listen to your loyal customers (don't just call us "Premier Customers")

In other news:

PS:I live in the Midwest, an area that Sprint's website claims they do not have coverage. To demonstrate this, the closest full fledged Sprint store is 50 miles away. We have 2 large Verizon stores in town that was proudly touting their 'brick' Droid today. My corporate phone is on Verizon network but my family and personal phone is on Sprint. I have better reception with my Sprint phone here even in my basement. I use both data and voice without much of a problem, yet Sprint claims they do not have good coverage here and have seeded the ground to Verizon.

Highlighted
Wizard

Sprint has been advertising heavily their new Any Mobile Any time plan and the availability of the first nationwide 4G network.  In the most recent commercial I saw had a BOGO offer for the BB curve.  More people change providers for a great deal, and not a specific phone. The only phone that seems to be able to consistently pull away subscribers from another carrier belongs to AT&T.  Sprint is spending its advertising dollars wherever they think they will get the best return.

Palm and HTC have been advertising their new phones, so why shouldn't be upon Samsung to advertise their device? Anyone that would switch to Sprint due to an Android device like the Moment is probably already reading the mobile phone blogs and is well aware of all the new phones available.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tell that to Verizon, who btw, from what I here internally from Verizon had a success with their Droid campaign that surpassed even the most optimistic forecasts

Highlighted
Wizard

Well, of course they will never tell you, but how much of the Droid interest is from current customers versus new customers. And how do we know those people aren't going to Verizon because they already decided to switch because of the Network advertising they've been doing the past X years? Additionally, how much of the advertising is being sponsored by Verizon versus Motorola or a joint venture between them both? Remember that Motorola is not doing so hot these days and they have more riding on the success of this phone than does Verizon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was watching something last night (I think Travel or Food channel), and there were 3 Sprint Pre commercials in the hour. I wonder why they are still pushing this and not the Hero??

Highlighted
Journeyman

You know I was watching the food network also and saw like 6 pre commercials. I was actually afraid to get the moment because I had heard nothing about it till I hit the store 3 days ago. It wasn't even on the web site the day I went to the store. The moment has it moments and I haven't tried everything out yet. I am hoping that the GPS really doesn't have any issues like you spoke about. I use mine a lot while at work and have been off the last 2 weeks. I really don't want to keep the phone now if they don't have the bugs and updates out by my 30 days. I would rather take it back and wait till they get all the kinks worked out then buy it. I really didn't have any issues with my old phone I just upgraded because I could and wanted to take a smartphone for a ride to see if I liked the drive. It's kinda bumpy right now. I'm thinking to go back and try the Hero but I dunno.

Highlighted
Journeyman

AT&T is still doing their big con with the rollover minutes. When I came back to Sprint 3 years ago because I had 8400 rollover minutes that I could never use because I had NO signal at home.

I took Verizon's network bait and got the Droid last Friday only to take it back Saturday cuz I had NO signal with them either. BTW, Both of their keyboards suck. Can't message worth a dam on either of them.

I went to the Sprint store and picked up two Moments and a LG Rumor2 for the wife. The keyboards on the Moment are fantastic-- I love the qwerty slide--I didn't think I would, but I do. My thumbs/fingers are too fat for the droids or any software keyboard for that matter. I had the Touch Diamond and loved the stylus entry. Oh the other reason why I decided to stay with Sprint is they offered me a free Airave device and free monthly service for it. Wow I now have 7 bars at home and the scale only goes to 6 . I don't know why I waited so long for it.

Message was edited by: Stoney62

Highlighted
Journeyman

Welcome. I am playing with my Moment too and loving it. Arrived in the mail yesterday. I played with Droid for 2 days and returned it (No, I was not thinking of switching to Verizon. My work uses Verizon). I will be getting a window based phone for work instead. (tired of BBs)

Sprint really needs to advertise more to change their image. It is a great service and I am loving it!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Now combine that huge cost in obtaining the Pre, to the fact that the Pre is a terrible terrible terrible piece of hardware, and Sprint is stuck heavily advertising it to sell their Pre lemons, in order to try and overcome the Pre's negative reputation, and make back some of their losses.

Lemon?  I admit that I did have a problem with the buttons on the Pre and it had to be swapped out, but overall I love the Pre.  I have both a Pre and a Moment.  I would much rather use the Pre over the Moment because the Pre's user interface is so much better.  I like the smaller keyboard -- maybe because my previous phone was a Treo or maybe because it is easier to type with one hand.  I am having trouble with the Moment's onscreen keyboard. I am hoping that a newer Android release will make it work better.  The GPS problem on the Moment is a HUGE oversight.  They should have just held off releasing the phone in order to add AGPS support.

I want to see Andoid 2.0 on the Moment.  I hope that things will work better.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat