cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just curious as to why Sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just curious as to why Sprint

So Verizon did this great giant ad campaign for their Android release, all over the news, magazines and TV.. Heard barely a peep out of Sprint other than some online ads.

All that Sprint really touted (and as I mentioned) very little there off was the HTC Hero, and hardly nothing about the Samsung Moment.

One has to wonder why. The Samsung Moment, despite a few annoying bugs, and the fact it is still stuck on old 1.5, the Moment is a superior phone to not just the Hero, but also the Droid / Sholes / Tao whatever they call it these days. I have had the Hero and traded it in after 2 weeks for the Moment. The Hero just does not have the horsepower to make Android smooth, and even less so Sense. I played with a Droid today, and yea, the screen looks great, but it STILL stutters and hesitates quite often. I was NOT tempted to get it (and Verizon service) after playing with it, and was happy to use my MUCH faster and smoother Moment.

It seems fiscally irresponsible to me for Sprint to NOT push a large ad campaign for its Android offerings in general and the Moment in particular.n (and yes I have spent years in upper management in large multinational companies, and I am aware of the costs of large advertisement campaigns, and no I am not working for large companies ever again).

Not that I expect an answer, or at best a canned response from Sprint here, but I wanted to put this out here never the less.

(and yes I have worked out all the bugs I saw in the Moment, and Samsung has responded to each of the reports I made to them, including the ones I posted questions about on this forum before).

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Journeyman

I would much rather use the Pre over the Moment because the Pre's user interface is so much better.

I'll agree that the Pre's interface is phenominal.When I was going back and forth b/w the Pre and the Moment with the Sprint rep, the thing I kept repeating was "Solid interface, or solid phone?" Of course I didn't know what the Moment's interface reliability would be like, but considering it was a brand new release, there were obviously going to be software issues.

But the lack of support and the high liklihood of getting a hardware lemon is a deal breaker. The 'oreo effect' and the fact that it is prone to cracking the screen with normal use, and the problem with overheating if you use a case, and the problem with the slider actually detaching... I'm sure I could remember more if I took the time, but you get the idea. The return rate on the Pre for basic faulty hardware problems seems astronomical in the cell phone market.

I think the biggest deal break for me was when the Sprint rep was holding the Pre, and told me...

"Also, this is a pretty cool thing that one of ours techs showed me: If the two pieces detach from eachother, you can place a finger in each corner all at the same and press down and slide up and down till it goes back together"

To which I responded "The fact that you can even tell me how to do that is a huge problem in itself" because it's obviously a common issue that I would need to know for normal use. Of course he looked at me dumbfoundedly.

Then I told him to give me the Moment, because the software issues can always be fixed later through an update. And because the inside doesn't matter if you can't use it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm getting much more oreo-type play on my Moment than on my Pre right now, but you are right, overall the Moment does have a more solid feel.  I think the oreo problem could be fixed if they made some small engineering changes.  Probably won't happen though.

The only time I have ever had a cracked screen on any of my cell phones was why my dog decided to see if the phone was food.  I am very gentle with all of my cell phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint did the same thing with the Touch Pro last year at this time.  They pushed the Touch Diamond, instead.  And like last time, the keyboard based phone had much better specs.  They seem to be pushing the phones without keyboards.  Probably because the non-keyboard phones are directed towards the consumer market.  We all know what a turd the Diamond became.  Is the Hero really as laggy as what we are hearing?  If so, it's going the same direction as the Diamond and the Instinct:  laggy POS's.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's likely, as the original poster implied, that Sprint is contractually bound to heavily advertise the Pre. It was probably one of the deal points that was placed into the contract between Palm and Sprint to get the exclusivity.

We're all hoping that Sprint has some left over money to advertise the Moment and their Android devices but knowing how cash strapped they are right now (recent layoff announcements), it's a wonder that they're still advertising at all - whether that's the right decision or not is not up to us. Obviously, perception is everything and the lack of perception in the marketplace of Sprint as a viable player with Android devices will continuously erode their bottom line.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat