Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got my Moment

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Just got my Moment

Ommi wrote:

Why are people so worried about having a compass on there phones. I just dont get that at all. If you get lost use the GPS function not the stupid compass come people live in this century for once. Who uses a compass anymore anyways lmao.

a few apps use the compass ie google maps, in android, so i would like to take advantage of that?!? whats wrong with that? anybody know for sure if has it or not?

Highlighted
Journeyman

A compass is vital to the operation of cool augmented reality apps like Layar. Without the compass, the phone has no idea where you're pointing. Plus it's cool to have Google maps spin the map as you pivot.

Highlighted
Journeyman

During the chat with David Owens of Sprint he mentioned that you use the Android compass app.  He stated that the Hero and the Moment have hardware that make the app work effectively.  Answer is no it does not have a physical compass but it has the ability an app to achieve the same.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got back from the Sprint Store where I went to see the Moment. Here are my thoughts: this phone is the Hero with a keyboard instead of Sense UI. I did not notice any major difference in speed. The screen on the moment is a little brighter then the Hero, but there is a blue tint to the screen ( I wonder if that can be adjusted).  The only thing that I do not like about this device is that it has a cheap plastic feel to it. But beside that it is on the same level as the Hero. I say if you want a keyboard get a Moment if you don't get a Hero.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I stopped at the 3 closest Sprint stores, and a Best Buy today just to "take a look" to see what I'm going to do next weekend (keep the Hero or get the Moment) and none of the 4 locations had received any shipments yet.  All were saying Wednesday or Thursday, maybe.  (This is also why I travelled 150 miles on the 11th to get my Hero from a store that I knew would have them in.)

I was a bit dissapointed travelling 90 miles today and being able to see one, but I wasn't planning on any possibilty of switching today anyway.

My primary consideration would be any firm announcement as to Android 2.0 release date, or a successful rooting procedure on either phone.  Should that happen, I'm going with "root-ability" first (since that has the ultimate ability to resolve all other issues with the exception of plain out-and-out defective hardware), Official 2.0 as second criteria, my third criteria (and it is way down the list) is which phone's form factor I actually prefer.

I figure I've got a week yet to decide, and lots of news can come along in a week

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you want a good example of an app that is WAY cool, uses all the technology in the phone, having to coordiate your location(GPS), time, internet, direction you are facing (compass), the exact angle you are holding your phone (accelerometer), etc. etc...  Download Google Sky Maps.  You should be impressed if your phone has the necessary hardware.

Highlighted

i try it out on my break and it is faster then the hero. it does have a faster processer. it has a 800 mhz Processer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

How about a faster processor speed to start with it's 800mhz and the AMOLED screen which gives an absolutely stunning picture. But most importantly don't believe me, just try one for yourself, Im sure you'd be more than satisfied. I tried the Hero and I have to admit I liked some of the features but in my personal opinion the Moment is an overall better phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got my Moment on Sunday, and I must say I just overall liked it better than the Hero, but in the end I think it is just a matter of preference.

I went into the store originally to get the Hero but after trying both phones I just liked the Moment better. The screen was much more vibrant, it seemed overall more responsive than the Hero as far as going through menus and browsing, and the ultimate seller was the slide out keyboard which is just a personal preference of mine. Just a few points for those who are still trying to make a decision:

Hero:

The Hero looks nice, it is much thinner and sleeker looking than the Samsung. The Sense UI looks great.

The Hero in my opinion suits more of a casual user, looking for a nice phone and pretty UI.

Main Pro: SenseUI

Main Con: virtual keyboard, slower performance.

Moment:

The Moment is more of a workhorse. The faster processor truly makes a diferrence. Texting, emailing, browsing is made easier with slide-out keyboard and optical touchpad. More for the working professional and heavy user.

Main Pro: faster performance, slide out keyboard

Main Con: stock android OS, short battery life (however not noticeably shorter than Hero)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat