ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking the dialpad when talking?

Journeyman

Locking the dialpad when talking?

Does anyone know how to lock the dialpad when talking on the phone?  I have not found a way to do this yet so the Mute button has been hit a few times without me realizing it.  I changed the screen to the home page when I'm talking on the phone but then my face hits the other buttons instead.  Can the keypad be locked while speaking on the Moment?

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: Locking the dialpad when talking?

It has happened to me a lot too. It is suppose to automatically lock when the phone comes close to your ear so you don't accidently hit the buttons. It doesn't work 100% of the time and I have hung up, muted, turned on speaker phone and put people on hold and called others via 3rd party calling all with my ear or cheek. My husband and I have a term for it because it happens so much "ear dialing" . The light sensors that are near the sprint logo on the top are suppose to sense when it is dark and near your head. What I think happens is if you are female and have a smaller ear to mouth ratio you will have it happen because the sensor goes above your ear and with a movement of your head it will sense light and unlock the screen. Just a theory. I have tried lately to place the speaker part at the top closer to the bottom of my ear and it seams to work better. I also glance over after I have dialed before placing it next to my ear to see if the screen goes black. Seams to help but sometimes mid conversation I hear beeping and sure enough I'm ear dialing on the dialing pad. It is a pain in the ....

Journeyman

The Moment has a proximity sensor that will turn the screen off when in close proximity to an object (i.e. your head). This has nothing to do with it sensing light (light sensor), which the Moment also has, and is used to dim or brighten the screen depending on the amount of light that is present (the option for this is enabled or disabled in Settings). If the proximity sensor is not turning the screen off reliably, it may be malfunctioning. A reboot, factory reset, or a replacement may be in order.

Journeyman

If anyone figures this out I would love to know to. Just got phone a week ago and I'm ready to send it back.  I can deal with the battery going down quickly but can't deal with the fact that when I'm on a phone call I'm putting it on speakerphone or mute and wonder why the caller on the other line is constantly saying hello and then hanging up thinking I have no service.  Please help!!

Journeyman

I have the exact same issue.  Always muting and getting hung up on.  I also tryed moving to home page while on a call, just set off other apps instead.  Is my phone defective?  Should I return it?  This has been driving me crazy!!!  I am relieved I am not the only person having this issue.

Advice please!!

Wizard

Hmm, this has happened to me precisely once.  Yesterday, actually.  I was on a call with a place I volunteer with, it happened.  But the funny thing was, the screen was locked!  I am guessing that the mute button got hit in the split fraction of a second between the screen got on my cheek and when the mute button was hit.  I was able to finish the conversation after tapping unmute.  Generally, the sensor works pretty well for me.

Journeyman

Have you tried to install Advance Task Killer Free?  It works great.  I haven't run into a frozen issue for 1 week already...i did have about 4 times (2 frozen screens that required taking out the battery, 2 times I couldn't get out of the Dialing screen) before that.  I did uninstall some apps (uninstalled and reinstalled Google Voice), so I am not sure if that helps address the frozen issues.

I just resubscribed Sprint Navigation and it works great.  At times, even outside, with GPS off, Sprint Navigation would get hung up at log in stage, even after I enabled GPS per its request.  So, I had to use Advance Task Killer Free to kill the SN app and run again...it worked the next time, so I didn't think it was due to weak GPS signal.

I use ATKF more often nowadays, just to kill background apps to ensure max battery life.

Journeyman

Easy, just search for Proximity Sensor in the Market. It locks the screen during talk.

Journeyman

Just downloaded - will let you know how it works.  Hopefully it does, I really like this phone other than this issue - and it is a big issue!

Wizard

Geniuz650 wrote:

Easy, just search for Proximity Sensor in the Market. It locks the screen during talk.

Well, at the top of it, it says "HTC Hero only."  Don't think we should be downloading it on the Moment.

Journeyman

yfan wrote:

Geniuz650 wrote:

Well, at the top of it, it says "HTC Hero only."  Don't think we should be downloading it on the Moment.

Whoops lol. I have a Hero, I didn't see this was the Samsung Moment thread, my bad for that.

Journeyman

I had the same problem with my Moment, the proximity sensor is now available for the moment, you can download it here:

http://www.samsungmomentforum.com/samsung-moment-applications/proximity-sensor-testing/

It works great on my phone.  You need to download the zip the file to your computer than transfer it your phone then install it using an app installer, there are plenty of app installers for free in the Android market.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat