cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS not received on Droid phones using Handcent

Highlighted
Patron

MMS not received on Droid phones using Handcent

Ok this has to be a Sprint issue.  I am using a Samsung Moment and the stock messaging app is awful....just awful. So there is 3rd party apps on the store (namely Handcent and ChompSMS).  These apps used to work flawlessly but Sprint has gone and done something to how it handles MMS messages and these apps fail to even get the pics anymore.  Even with the stock one running in the back they still won't download.  If you go and remove the 3rd party then the pics work but you have to go with the blaw eyesore that is stock.  What is Sprint doing in how it handles MMS msgs that is preventing these apps fro functioning properly.  Sprint needs to fix this issue because it has to be something they are doing.

12 REPLIES 12
Wizard

Re: MMS not received on Droid phones using Handcent

I forwarded your message to the product managers to see if they are aware of a problem or if there is something that you can do to correct the issue.  Stay tuned, please.

Wizard

Here is what I heard back:

"Can you ask the user to download the latest version of Handcent app from Market? I just downloaded the latest version and it says  #version 3.2.8 Fix Picture message download. Add fail sound notification option. Fix some known bug.

So it could be an app issue as well."

Patron

Well yeah I am using the most current release and still same issue and I also tried the version released in May that I know worked and same issue so it leads me to believe Sprint did something with the way MMS msgs are handled between then and now.  Even with auto retrieve set in the stock they still don't come through as long as Handcent is installed.  Once in a while some will come through but the majority won't  I have read some say they can't send them either (seen a lot on the EVO complain about that) but reciving seems to be a big one.

Wizard

Okay, so I checked again, with a Samsung Moment tester this time.  I'm told there haven't been any MMS changes and updates for the Samsung Moment since May that he knew of.  He tried the Handcent app on a couple of phones as well as the EVO and everything worked fine, but he will keep trying to reproduce the issue.  He also said that when you search the Web for Handcent send/receive MMS issues, you will get results for all carriers.  Needless to say it's difficult to trouble-shoot something when you can't use the phone that is having the problem.

I will also move this thread to the Samsung Moment forum in hopes that someone else may have some helpful input.

Journeyman

I have the Moment and have been experiencing the exact same problems using the most recent update of Handcent.  I also tried to have a friend send me pics using the standard messaging app that came on the phone after deleting Handcent, with the same results.  I also get many texts twice in a row (meaning the exact same message, just seconds apart).

But none of this is why I hate the Moment...I have been to the Sprint Store 4 times for issues with battery life, specifically, that after taking my phone off of the charger, it dies.  I have had 3 hard resets, been told that the TaskKiller app the Sprint REP put on my phone was doing something to my OS (since then, apparently Samsung and Sprint have both told stores NOT to put this app on phones), and been through 3 batteries.

Every time I go back, and sit in that store for 2-3 hours, I tell myself it's going to be the last time.

Tonight I mean it.  If I don't get a phone that is EQUAL to or BETTER THAN the Moment that I have (as in, it does EVERYTHING the Moment is advertised to do), then I will take my business account to another carrier.  I don't have time to run a company and deal with this every 1-2 months.

End of rant.

Journeyman

I have been unable to receive picture mail even on stock app for over three months. After call number four to Sprint, I just said forget it. I miss getting those text messages, but it's not worth the aggravation anymore. They get it to work for a day or so, then nothing.

Journeyman IRM
Journeyman

beezie916 wrote:

Ok this has to be a Sprint issue.  I am using a Samsung Moment and the stock messaging app is awful....just awful. So there is 3rd party apps on the store (namely Handcent and ChompSMS).  These apps used to work flawlessly but Sprint has gone and done something to how it handles MMS messages and these apps fail to even get the pics anymore.  Even with the stock one running in the back they still won't download.  If you go and remove the 3rd party then the pics work but you have to go with the blaw eyesore that is stock.  What is Sprint doing in how it handles MMS msgs that is preventing these apps fro functioning properly.  Sprint needs to fix this issue because it has to be something they are doing.

I've had this problem with both the stock app and Handcent app. (My wife has had the problem using the stock app.) Sometime MMS are received but frequently not. This is most certainly an unresolved, and well-reported, Sprint issue (even if found on other carriers). To access your missing pics, you can login to the Sprint Picture Mail site. It's very curious that Sprint tech support can't replicate the problem but plenty of Sprint users can....

Journeyman

Add me to the list of people having this issue. Both my wife and I own Moments, and it happens with both handcent and stock messaging apps. Mine never send, hers "send" but never download to my phone.  I've never had an issue up until recently with stock or handcent, and its happening on 2 phones, reducing the chance that this is a hardware issue. There is no specific location to where it happens, with or without wifi on.

Journeyman

I am starting to lose all hope in Sprint.  There is ample evidence that this is a problem yet Sprint techs can't duplicate it?  I know for a fact that I was able to use Handcent to send and receive Pictures when I got the phone in June and I know the problem with pictures have only arose in the last few months.  I know that I went to an older apk of handcent that was current when I got the phone in June so since Handcent does nothing but processes the msg info received from Sprint there has to have been a change in Sprint.  The fact that other carrier's have had this issue is irrelevant I am only concerned with Sprint since I pay you 70+ dollars a month and MMS and SMS are unlimited according to my plan and there is obviously something happening that i get maybe 10-20% of the pics sent to me and lately I have had issues sending through Handcent and have to use the ugly stock one.  Maybe while Sprint is claiming they are coming up with a fix to a problem they refuse to admit exists until the FCC and legal actions have started to happen....they can add a fix to this....or maybe make stock MMS.apk customizable so we don't need to use a 3rd party app.

Journeyman

I am having the same issue.  Apparenlty have not been getting most mms texts for at least six months now.  Just logged into my sprint account and low and behold they're all there!  I just uninstalled Handcent, but this doesn't seem to be helping yet.  Let me tell you, I am fuming!!!  My husband has the exact same phone and the Handcent ap and he's never had a problem.  This is unnacceptable.  I'm paying for a service I'm not getting, besides the fact that my whole family thinks I'm rude for not returning their messages (that I never got)!

Journeyman

Add me to the list with this issue.

Problem occurs with both the Moment and the Hero (Android).

Is the issue Handscent or Sprint?  Haven't figured that one out yet.

No MMS on both phones with Handscent.

Sprint messenging also has this hicup occassionally.

Please advise.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat