Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintenance release planned for Moment- UPDATED 9/17

Highlighted
Wizard

Maintenance release planned for Moment- UPDATED 9/17

UPDATE - 9/17 4:45PM

There’s been a change to the upcoming software maintenance release (MR3).  Unfortunately the reported data lockup will not be addressed in this release.  The reported airplane mode issue is still addressed in MR3 and there is no change to the target launch window (Q4 or before).

Another maintenance release (MR4) is planned for the reported data lockup and the Community Admins will post more information as it becomes available to us.

While I know this is disappointing news, please recognize that we're trying to give you up-to-date information.  There have been many complaints of Sprint failing to communicating well in these situations and we're striving to do a better job of that. That said, there is always a risk of having to make updates, revisions etc to posts because there are a lot of moving parts to getting a maintenance release ready and things are subject to change.

A maintenance release to address the reported airplane mode and data lockup issues for the Moment is targeted for the fourth quarter of 2010 or  possibly sooner. I do not have any other details at this time, but will share them as soon as they become available.

Message was edited by: SarahKS - change of scope, MR4

83 REPLIES 83
Highlighted
Journeyman

Just a quick update.   The correct functionality of the unlock swipe bar returned after I rebooted the phone.    So something in the upgrade got it disabled.

I am now thinking I liked not having the swipe to unlock bar.   Liked it a lot.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Don't let this thread die people!  Keep complaining to the FCC and also BBB for the business practices aspect (denying issue, avoiding issue, delaying on fix of issue when finally admitting).  Pressure these corporate pigs into having to fix the issue CORRECTLY.  I've gotten everything from "I don't have the authority" to "it's our rules and business practice" basically when they were telling me they have to either give me another Moment or a lesser phone.  Funny, HP upgraded my laptop after they screwed up, and they don't get a monthly payment from me for service. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am probably not going to make a lot of friends with this post but here goes anyway. I have a lot of experience correcting operating systems on PC's and that knowledge really helped when I got this phone on the the first of June this year. It's taken me 4 months and a lot of trial and error but I finally think I have it figured out. I hope this helps some of you who are still having problems. Here's a list of fixes that greatly increased the performance of my Moment.

• If your running Launcher Pro Beta(free version that is, I haven't upgraded) limit the pages to the original three and the Froyo bar to just one.
  • As stated in a previous post, only turn on wireless services(Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth) when needed. Quick Settings app makes this very easy.
  • Limit yourself to only one widget per page, excluding the Google search bar which can be used on any page with another widget.
  • Never use the wide version of any widget, I make an exception for Mixzing on my phone but it does affect performance. If you want a larger widget use the square version.
  • When selecting apps for your pages, use a shortcut instead of installing it directly from the app drawer.
  • Don't bother trying to charge your phone with a charger or cable that doesn't resemble the OEM style with the slimmer head. The square-headed cables wont supply enough power or allow data transfer.
  • Don't try to charge your phone using the the USB data transfer cable unless you have a wall adapter. If you plug it into another device you will be sharing the voltage of the power source and your phone will not charge correctly.

All of these fixes will save your battery life which in turn will decrease your chances of missed calls/messages and data lockup. This is a Linux-based operating system which is usually only used by advanced PC users but does give the operator access to very extensive customization. I hope this helps and good luck!

Highlighted
Journeyman

funny i do all of those things and dont have any problems lol

Highlighted
Journeyman

U can achieve data transfer with a square head micro?

Message was edited by: mth4974

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm sorry, mth4974, but what does any of that stuff have to do with the price of tea in China?

I got phones with JUST the factory programming, STRAIGHT back from Samsung and had the issues.  No additional apps, not even a google account configured, and still the problem occurred...

Also, I have no faith in any resolution to the issue, and the MR4 did not fix the issue, nor did Android 2.1.

Message was edited by: jdmm72

Highlighted
Journeyman

yes i have no problems, sounds like ur cable is screwed up

Highlighted
Patron

To those saying to limit this and limit that...does that mean you never go faster than 35 mph because you get better gas milage....never run your tank below 3/4 of a tank? and only drive it 10,000 miles before junking it?  To say one has to to use less than its factory intended use to have it not crew up is insane...the Sprint inplants are really brainless.  I too am in computers and yes Linux is very diffucult and primarily is a server based software because it is so easy to manipulate and since it is open sourced thats why there is 100+ versions of linux running around.  While yes it is configurable the data lock up is a defect with Samsung and thier phone there have been more knowledgable devs who have spent several tirials, fixes and other ways to prevent it and it is not possible.  The fact that Sprint has finally admited it will be a nice push for the FCC to step in since this problem was known by Sprint and Samsung since this phone was released.  We all need to file claims against Sprint and Samsung....this phone should not have to have 2 legs and one arm tied behind it to work semi close to 100%.  The law states all cell phones have to be able to dial 911 at any time and the data lock up has been documented over and over that it does not allow it.  If you want to see all the work real coders have done visit the SDX forum they will even tell you the easiest ways to get a lock up and how to get a lock up to show the brainless people Sprint have in the stores working.  Come on Sprint I have been a member for 6 years and I am ready to file a lawsuit claiming breach of contract on Sprint's side since I am paying for cell phone service and not only do I miss calls, texts, and stuff I have to reboot it to use the phone and that is not stipulated in the contrct so I have a expectation of services agreed upon....we need a lawyer who wants to get his name known and file a class action....man imagine how fast Sprint would step up to have it in the media how unimproved they was after JD & Associates awareded it a most improved Customer Service award....maybe Reggie Bell should tell Sprint what is is like to be embarassed by having to give back a prestgious award....

Highlighted
Journeyman

And while computer USB hubs are usually only rated at 500mA (.5A), each port on a modern computer is a separate USB hub.  I think the charger is rated at 1000mA (1A).  What that means is that the charger is capable (does not necessarily mean it will, it depends on the charging circuit of the phone) of charging the phone FASTER, but the computer will charge the phone satisfactorily also.

Update:  The charger is rated at .7A (700mA).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Reggie Bush?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh, my mistake for trying to help. I reviewed more of the posts after seeing the negative reaction to my original comments and realize this is Sprint's way of not having to deal with you over the phone. One of you has no problems yet is on a discussion forum. Curious. No chat rooms available? The other two are obviously Mac users or teenagers because you have apparently never operated Windows XP. If you had, then you would understand programming conflicts and their effect on performance. Yes, you can recharge your phone using USB equipped devices but who wants to leave it hooked up for 24 hours?  That's what would be required to keep your phone running at full speed with little or no performance problems. I've already spent more energy than I would like trying to "help" those of you who already have figured it all out and just like to complain because you have little else going on in your lives. I have had nothing but positive experiences when dealing with Sprint and for those of you who thought their first Android phone was going to have no bugs or performance issues, here's a little advice: Close the bag of Cheetos, put on some pants and go get some life experience or you will continue to allow things like A PHONE to consume you. Good Luck!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ummm...sorry you got all bu++hurt, but I'm the owner of a small IT firm and have been in IT for about 14 years (yeah, not a teen or a MAC user either, I'm 32) now for various businesses and the US government.  Also, I'm a college senior going for a BSCpE (That's computer engineering for you).  I also have the MCDST in Windows XP (yeah, low level, but my focus is Cisco)

So, maybe instead of getting on here and attacking with your higher than thou attitude, maybe you should learn to read, it's all been discussed.  And as for Android devices and bugs.  I EXPECT a released product not to be a Alpha or Beta, I expect testing and a FINISHED product, and if bugs are discovered, I EXPECT them to be fixed.  This problem has been present since RELEASE and almost a year later is still present.

And your knowledge of USB and battery charging are laughable at the least.  A computer USB hub (ie: ONE USB port on your computer) can provide 500mA of current at 5V DC.  The charger ONLY provides 700mA at 5VC.  So, the battery is a 3.7V 5.33W battery, that is about 1432mAh.  At 500mA (computer), that is a little less than 3 hours, and at 700mA, it is a little over 2 hours.  So, the differences is very VERY small, LESS THAN 1 HOUR difference.  Again, maybe you could brush up on battery tech before you open your mouth.

But even before the differences there, the phone runs a Li-Ion charging circuit, which limits further the amount of current that can go to the battery with regards to battery condition, heat, and voltage.  The absolute "safe" current that the battery could take is about 1/2 C (C being the capacity of the battery), which in this case is about 700mA at 2.8V.  And Li-Ion charges at a CC/CV profile, so, if the battery at 4.2 V (nominal voltage) or close, the current goes way down (think single or double digit mA) and keeps it at 4.2 V, until no current flows, then charging stops.

And Windows XP, huh, well I run 7 with only one laptop running XP for compatibility  Yeah, when a bug was/is found there usually is a fix in what? A month at most (Moment issue is on month 12)?  Ever heard of "patch tuesday."  But since you are so knowledgable about Windows XP, I'm sure you knew about it.

And the deal with only using the OEM cord is crazy. The OEM cord is probably the cheapest cord that Samsung could find.  And have you noticed the gauge of the wire for the charger?  It's crazy small, so the issue about it not providing the "power" is absurd.  The issue here is not power, it is current.  And the current again is less than 1 Amp.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat