Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintenance release planned for Moment- UPDATED 9/17

Highlighted
Wizard

Maintenance release planned for Moment- UPDATED 9/17

UPDATE - 9/17 4:45PM

There’s been a change to the upcoming software maintenance release (MR3).  Unfortunately the reported data lockup will not be addressed in this release.  The reported airplane mode issue is still addressed in MR3 and there is no change to the target launch window (Q4 or before).

Another maintenance release (MR4) is planned for the reported data lockup and the Community Admins will post more information as it becomes available to us.

While I know this is disappointing news, please recognize that we're trying to give you up-to-date information.  There have been many complaints of Sprint failing to communicating well in these situations and we're striving to do a better job of that. That said, there is always a risk of having to make updates, revisions etc to posts because there are a lot of moving parts to getting a maintenance release ready and things are subject to change.

A maintenance release to address the reported airplane mode and data lockup issues for the Moment is targeted for the fourth quarter of 2010 or  possibly sooner. I do not have any other details at this time, but will share them as soon as they become available.

Message was edited by: SarahKS - change of scope, MR4

83 REPLIES 83
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just can't resist. How long did it take you to write your last post? Because I only read the first two paragraphs before I blew mine out. Speaking of learning to read, did YOU actually read my original post? Trial and error, son. I've fired more than one fresh-faced kid like you with elaborate educations because they were incapable of operating a simple DOS POS program. Life experience, common sense, street smarts these are the qualities that make life easier. Not complaining about what you EXPECT. Good luck in your future endeavors. 

Journeyman

I'm really happy that your phone works, and you can abide by some holy trinity of "do not"s that you established.  Okay, so now leave, you CANNOT contribute any further to this discussion.  Our phones don't work as DESIGNED, and we are not going to not run certain apps when the planets are not in alignment.

And BTW, you couldn't fire a fresh faced kid like me, #1 because I'm not a fresh faced kid, and #2 I'M THE OWNER AND BOSS OF MY OWN SUCCESSFUL COMPANY.  You can go now back to your life as co-assistant manager of the fryolater machine at McDs, fire a fry boy who doesn't know what a dos prompt is and take your unwelcome flames with you.

And what did my complaints get me????  The ETF was waived because of them.  I am free to roam to another carrier if I want.  So, hmmm, while you observing your "rules," I can move to another phone from another carrier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Children

How about posting your flame wars via email

Jason

Highlighted
Journeyman

LOL You must be a glutton for punishment, kid and I admit my response is a guilty pleasure. As a SUCCESSFUL BUSINESSMAN, I'm sure you've been contacted by a variety of carriers regarding your workplace telecommunications. One of which offers to pay your ETF at any time to switch to their mobile service. I am one of their business customers and I choose to stay with Sprint. If I were unhappy, I could be on an lphone by next week. Goodnight, sweetheart, you've just been owned!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please channel your energy to fighting Spring and Samsung, not each other.

For those of you who have had no issues, we all respect that and I am personally happy for you.

But really, something must have brought you to these boards... if not an issue with this phone then what was it?

To check up on who is complaining the most and to give a lecture?

The people on these boards who own a Samsung Moment have worked diligently to promote a severe issue with these phones.  They stop working and require hard re-boots by pulling the battery.  We didn't create the issue.  Apps do not create the issue.  It happens on clean installs.  We have been trying to make the issue known, and to obtain a fix.  We want the public to know about this issue because it could happen at a time when your phone is needed to call emergency services.  This issue has been discussed since February and there is still not a true fix.

Sprint gives all of us the run around.  They sent us to repair centers to get software that does not exist.  They send us replacement phones that have the same issue.  They tell me in an email that I can upgrade my phone in a few months, in other words by paying them more money.  This is all unacceptable.

I still want a full refund on what my wife and I paid for this phone.  I want the ability to buy a new phone of my choice.  I will not pay a monthly surcharge for a phone that works.  I want Sprint to honor our contract and hold my monthly service fee (no 4G tax).

The way Sprint has handled our situation is awful.  I hope anyone who has not had this issue yet never has to go what we have been through.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Amen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I received the 2 over the air updates a couple days ago myself, and so far, no lockup issues (knock on wood).

Highlighted
Wizard

Multiple posts have been deleted from this thread due to profanity, talk of lawsuits, and personal attacks on others.  Please follow the community guidelines when posting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had a lockup since the OTA and manual updates.  It happened while I was using GPS.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For the record, I have had issues after I had installed the update...

1) The update was installed via WiFi while in Germany (no CDMA service).  I was notified about the update and accepted it.  The update installed without issue.

2) I arrived back in the states and turned on my phone after departing the aircraft.

3) I sent a few texts.

4) I was attempting to find the next shuttle time on the browser.  I was not using the browser for more than 2 minutes and the browser stopped responding.  The dreaded up arrow was constantly on yet the browser was doing notihg.

5) Any app which attempted to use the internet could not connect.

I noticed something that I cant remember seeing before the update in that the EvDO/1x icon on the top of the display disappeared and would not come back.

a) I attempted to toggle the airplane mode to 'reset' the radio.  I did this through the power button (holding the end call button).

b) I was able select the airplane mode on the menu without issue.  However, the airplane icon on the top of the screen never showed up.

c) I attempted to toggle the airplane mode through the power button again.

d) This time I was unable to select the airplane mode menu item because it was not 'enabled' meaning it was grayed out.

e) I powered down the device.

f) It came back up with the Airplane mode indicator on the top of the window.

g) I was able to toggle the airplane mode through the power button.

h) The device was working again.

It doesn't appear the update has done much.  I'm concerned the device froze up so quickly after CDMA service was available.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, Since the update that I received this morning, I haven't been able to view the videos I've saved to my SD disk.  No issues last night, or any other day.

Sound plays, but, picture doesn't show.  I use youplayer to watch my saved videos.  All are in MP4 format.  I use the mini task manager as my kill program, and used it to close unused programs, thinking maybe I needed to open up some memory.  This worked for 1 video that I downloaded right before, but, since closing that vid to try another, the picture stopped showing on the new one AND the vid that I downloaded as a test.

Does anyone know of another player that might work?  I don't believe it has to do with the player I've been using, but, with the update instead.

Thanks

Highlighted
Journeyman

My first question: is the video HD quality (720p)?  If the video is too large of a resolution, the Moment's processor simply cannot handle it.  If you need to see it on your phone, try a lower quality copy first (480, or FLV formats) to see if the video is what you want.  You can download HD Video on your device, but you need to copy it off onto your computer to view it.

Most players are UI enhancements on top of the Android system media player, all of them have the same limitation.  I'd recommend Meridian, but honestly if your system player won't touch it, neither will Meridian.  If you're running stock software (haven't rooted your device, or installed a custom ROM), take it to the store for possible service, otherwise, if you did modify it, you're pretty much on your own.  Worst case scenario: visit http://www.sprint.com/momentupdate and flash your phone back to a factory copy of ECLAIR.DE03.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat