Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintenance release planned for Moment- UPDATED 9/17

Highlighted
Wizard

Maintenance release planned for Moment- UPDATED 9/17

UPDATE - 9/17 4:45PM

There’s been a change to the upcoming software maintenance release (MR3).  Unfortunately the reported data lockup will not be addressed in this release.  The reported airplane mode issue is still addressed in MR3 and there is no change to the target launch window (Q4 or before).

Another maintenance release (MR4) is planned for the reported data lockup and the Community Admins will post more information as it becomes available to us.

While I know this is disappointing news, please recognize that we're trying to give you up-to-date information.  There have been many complaints of Sprint failing to communicating well in these situations and we're striving to do a better job of that. That said, there is always a risk of having to make updates, revisions etc to posts because there are a lot of moving parts to getting a maintenance release ready and things are subject to change.

A maintenance release to address the reported airplane mode and data lockup issues for the Moment is targeted for the fourth quarter of 2010 or  possibly sooner. I do not have any other details at this time, but will share them as soon as they become available.

Message was edited by: SarahKS - change of scope, MR4

83 REPLIES 83
Highlighted
Journeyman

I tried the FCC this morning...they are closed until Monday.  Also, Sprint Executive services is closed.  I plan on making them very aware that the Moment's lockup is a violation of law, preventing the user from being able to dial 911.  I will be calling a lawyer I know through a friend as well as to what else can be done.  If we let Sprint/Samsung get away with this, then they know they can have poor quality control on other phones as well (see Palm Pre, for example).  If we win this, this sends a damaging blow and message that we will NOT tolerate poor consumer electronics.  Help send the message, not just for this particular phone, but as consumers...when we pay for something, we want it to work RIGHT.  A multi billion dollar company should not be handing out phones that lock up, PERIOD.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sarah,

Thank you for the update.  It is refreshing to see someone at Sprint tell it like it is.

The issue I have, and probably most others have now, is that this fix should have had priority over 6 months ago.  We have all been sold a DEFECTIVE phone, and even though these maintenance updates sound promising, it still DOES NOT FIX this issue we have today.  We have been promised fixes before.

Executive Services has played games with EVERYONE up to this point, insisting that a software update was already available, and making us travel to repair shop after repair shop, and even swapping our phones multiple times.  This was nothing more then a game.

Please tell your supervisors that we have all had enough, and we want our phones either replaced with equal or better models or a refund of the full purchase price we paid.  This isn't a simple software glitch that can be avoided.  THE PHONE STOPS WORKING, STOPS RECEIVING CALLS, AND IS NOT AVAILABLE TO CALL OUT TO 911.

Unfortunately, you get to hear about months and months of frustration that we have all experienced.

Jason

Highlighted
Journeyman

Get rid of your Samsung Moments and buy an Evo. Brought down my stress level 500%!! It was worth the new contract. Gave Moment away to a friend as an eReader. That was all it was good for!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry I do not see how buying another phone and increasing your bill an extra $10/month is a valid solution.  That is essnetially 240 dollars over the life of contract + how much the phone cost.  Sprint/Samsung should fix the phone as is or replace it with a phone of equal of better value.  If I wanted a 4g phone I would have got one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I  hope this is true.  The only thing my local sprint store would offer was replacing with an Intercept.  I am not open to downgrading my phone to fix this issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just love talking about a video on youtube to my friends, then going hey I will show you!  One second........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

OH! sorry.  Internet connection failed.  Please try again later.  If Problem continues please call our lousy customer service department and prepare your brain to get dumbed down!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seeing as this is more than likely hardware, and if it is software it's taken too long to fix, a free replacement from Sprint should be a phone close and if anything, better.  I feel Sprint should be handing out Epic 4G's to all Moment customers ofcourse while ensuring beforehand the problem doesn't occur in them...also Sprint should give the option to those that's home area does not have 4G within 25 miles to defer the extra fee and stay on a 3G data plan.

It's called Customer Service....I've gotten it from other companies, how about you Sprint?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah I hope they fix this and its not the run around..  I didn't know about it and just got the Moment in the mail yesterday (bought it on ebay) already im plagued with this problem... $200 down the drain unless its fixed I mean I doubt ill be able to get any kind of a replacement unless they do a recall....

And yeah that FCC thing is a good idea, if the FCC gets upset enough maybe they will recall and replace them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

baaaaahaha, knew it wouldn't touch the data lockup issue.  Total amateur operation they got going here.  Hey let's put out a few MR's for worthless garbage, then fix the real issues when the phone is so old nobody cares anymore.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Rather than waste time trying to "fix" the Moment's problems with the current software/firmware issues, why not use the money/time to develop Android 2.2 for the Moment and push that to the phones??

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't understand the update provided by Sarah.  Can someone help me understand this?

MR3 will be completed Q4 or before and will fix the airplane mode issue.

MR4 will fix the data lockup issue.  No date has been specified for this.

It seems like the airplane mode and data lockup are the same issue.  When I get a data lockup, the phone will state it is airplane mode if I attempt to make a call.  I cannot get the phone out of airplane mode or cannot connect back to the internet without restarting the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So the issues that have been going on won't be fixed until after the manufacturer's warranty is up for those of us who originally purchased this thing at launch? My wife is has an old "dumb" phone and is due for a new phone, she wants one like mine but I have urged her just to hold on to the one that she has simply because it works. I was going to wait until windows mobile 7 came out later this year, but it doesn't look like Sprint will get WM7 until sometime in the spring. AT&T and T-Mobile will get it first, CDMA will get it last(Sprint, Verizon). I don't want a hero or intercept and I'm not getting a 4G. So I guess that I'm stuck.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat