Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintenance release planned for Moment- UPDATED 9/17

Highlighted
Wizard

Maintenance release planned for Moment- UPDATED 9/17

UPDATE - 9/17 4:45PM

There’s been a change to the upcoming software maintenance release (MR3).  Unfortunately the reported data lockup will not be addressed in this release.  The reported airplane mode issue is still addressed in MR3 and there is no change to the target launch window (Q4 or before).

Another maintenance release (MR4) is planned for the reported data lockup and the Community Admins will post more information as it becomes available to us.

While I know this is disappointing news, please recognize that we're trying to give you up-to-date information.  There have been many complaints of Sprint failing to communicating well in these situations and we're striving to do a better job of that. That said, there is always a risk of having to make updates, revisions etc to posts because there are a lot of moving parts to getting a maintenance release ready and things are subject to change.

A maintenance release to address the reported airplane mode and data lockup issues for the Moment is targeted for the fourth quarter of 2010 or  possibly sooner. I do not have any other details at this time, but will share them as soon as they become available.

Message was edited by: SarahKS - change of scope, MR4

83 REPLIES 83
Highlighted
Journeyman

SarahKS - PLEASE SEE THIS.  WHY DOES EXECUTIVE SERVICES NOT UNDERSTAND A FIX IS NOT AVAILABLE?

A letter from Executive Services (9/21/2010):

"Thank you for your additional feedback regarding your device concerns. I assure you that we fully understand your concerns and regret that you have experienced this device issue.  Our goal is to ensure that you have a working device so that you are able to utilize your service.  Additionally, I appreciate that you have received additional information from community message boards regarding what others are experiencing with their devices; however, we have a method for addressing device issues that we are following to assist you with meeting our goal of ensuring that you have a working device.

If you are continuing to experience issues with your Samsung Moment getting stuck in airplane mode, the remedy to that issue is to have the firmware updated by a service and repair store technician.  The service and repair store in your area is located at ... I can assist you with facilitating an appointment with the technician to minimize the amount of time you have to spend in the store as much as possible.  Please indicate the best time for you to make an appointment.

Respectfully, we will not be able to accommodate your request for a full refund of the cost of your device.  Additionally, we will continue to address this matter in accordance with the manufacturer's warranty.

I regret your frustration and any safety concerns you may have encountered as a result of this matter.  I assure you that our priority is addressing and resolving this matter.  Please let me know if I can assist you with facilitating an appointment with our service and repair center technician."

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just a thought...

How much do you think Sprint is billing Samsung everytime a "Repair Tech" reflashes someone's phone?

Highlighted
Journeyman

When I was contacted by executive services I was told the same thing. I told them I respectfully decline an appointment, we had 2 moments, this 2.1 didn't fix either and actually made one unuseable (was reflashed a couple times, but it was chronic data locking-airplane mode) and had to be exchanged for an Intercept. I'm left with a Moment because I stupidly thought they would fix it. But anyway, I said I know what they do at the store, I can do it at home and it doesn't fix it. Just get Samsung to fix this thing. She seemed to understand and said all this info was being recorded and relayed, whatever that means.

I chose this over an EVO because of the hardware keyboard... It seemed like the best deal. Knowing what I know now, I would have gladly plunked down the $100 extra at signing and $10 a month to be rid of this thing. I actually think it is getting worse, I've missed important calls and text messages. Sometimes I wish I just stuck to flip phones and never knew what I was missing owning a smart phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've started billing Sprint for my time.  My hourly rate is $60.  I bill $1/per minute and demand that be credited to my account.  So far it has worked.  They had me on HOLD for 30 minutes (NO JOKE) today, trying to find my returned phone that they are billing me for....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint is getting a deal...

Just think how much the spend shipping replacement phones to everyone x3 or x4 times over...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Truly.  Last time I tried to ship Fedex overnight, it was at least $30 for a very very small package (smaller than the phone package).  That is what they use, so with me, we're up to over $150 in shipping alone, not to mention credits, and loss of income due to ETF being waived.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint is getting a deal from all of us who trudge to their repair center for this ridiculous issue.    Maintenance release?   I too will believe it fixes anything when they release it and patch my phone.

Someone was saying the data lockup and airplane mode are the same problem.    They are similar, but they are two separate problems.   I have had both many times, and am on my 5th Moment, my 3rd since July.    Pretty much I have given up making trips to the store, and am caving in and just living with the problem.

The airplane mode is when your phone complains that it cannot make a call because Airplane Mode is enabled... it tells you to disable Airplane Mode if you want to make a call.

I have had this problem before but not in a VERY long time, say maybe since 2.1 came out.

The data lockup is where the EVDO up/down arrow just stalls, and you cannot get internet, text, phone etc.  

Additionally I have many times just had the phone lockup with a dead screen, i.e. the screen won't come up to the 'unlock' prompt.   A battery removal for 5 minutes or more is usually required.    Just happened to me last weekend.

Best offer they have made to me so far is a $50 account credit and allow me to use my wife's upgrade to purchase an EPIC, which they'd then offer to put on my phone number.    Maybe if they'd offer a free month's service I'd hop on it.    After 8 round trips to their repair center, and an hour most times hanging around... I've invested probably 12 hours of my time, and probably 200 miles on my car.    So what's that worth to still NOT have a reliable phone.

How many of you test your phone several times a day to make sure its not locked up?

No way to run a cell phone company.   Nope.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am copied my reply from another board... want to get everyone's feedback...

***************************************************************************************************

OK, received update last night. Phone was up and running all night without issue. Switched from Wifi to network service a few times and so far no lock ups.  No Airplane mode after 12 hours.

One condition I did not try, and I noticed this while reading the boards today, is having WiFi enabled but not connected. I saw a few people with this condition that then reported lock ups.  Could it be the phone does not know what to do with WiFi enabled but no connection?

Keep reporting your findings...

Highlighted
Journeyman

How did you get the update?

Jason

Highlighted
Journeyman

Settings, About Phone, check for firmware update...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is this maintenance release a staggered update?  I've been checking for a firmware update, & it still says nothing available.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well relative to the latest two Over The Air updates,  I guess you have to tell the phone to update a few times before it actually queues the download.

My first 'update' yesterday left me with:

Firmware: 2.1-update1

Baseband: S:M900.8.0S.DE03

Kernel: 2.6.29

Build: ECLAIR.DE03

Hardware: M900.8.0

Unexpectedly at lunch today I pulled my phone out and it had a dialog box on it after I swiped the unlock screen.

Dialog box said that an update had been downloaded and it wanted to install it.    I accepted, it rebooted and went through a cute little update process, then rebooted again.

I now have not only the new baseband, but the new build as well.

Firmware: 2.1-update1

Baseband: S:M900.8.0S.DE03

Kernel: 2.6.29

Build: ECLAIR.D106

Hardware: M900.8.0

BUT..... now the screen lock does not function the same.

WEIRD, but now when I press the red 'END' or 'LOCK' button the screen blanks as always, but hitting the red 'END' or 'LOCK' button again brings the screen right back, i.e. there is no screen lock 'bar'  that you have to swipe to unlock the screen.

So WHATS UP WITH THIS????

I am thinking I might like this new 'feature'.... even though I think it could be a bug??

Anyone else seeing this after getting 'all' the latest available OTA updates?

I think I like it...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat