cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making it harder to Emergency Call with lock-screen... or alternate

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Making it harder to Emergency Call with lock-screen... or alternate

I've definitely had this issue as well.   The problem is that if I turn off the lock-pattern, then my phone will auto dial random people even more often that the 911.   Why can't they just have a slide bar like the iPhone or Droid.   Why is it just a simple tap of "menu" to un-screen-lock.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i too have had a big problem with this emergency call button, has anbody been charged for this yet? If you have, how big was the fine? I've been told that they charge for this after too many times and i am hoping to avoid that as i dont pay the bill and i don't have the money to pay for a fine like that. I am also trying to avoid having an officer sent to my house. If anybody finds a solution to this, please post. this is a serious design flaw and they need to make a fix for this. I've also been told that this is something required by the fcc or w/e it is but i think its stupid and they need to fix it or disable it.

somebody please find a solution, quick!

thankyou

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree - this is a huge issue!

I just had this happen and had police show up to my office while I was trying to respond to a text message.

The 911 operator did tell me they do get it a lot (Blackberry users are supposed be really bad she said), but seriously??  Just give me a dial pad then to dial 911, not a quick dial out!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, after calming down, and doing a little digging, it's not just us.

This is how the unlock screen is for Android.  So, others are having possibly similar issues.

The big thing then is that this has to be changed I would think at the OS level then - so maybe a petition to the Android dev group to change it's behavior/add a setting?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: keeps happening to me

while driving through Amarillo, I put the phone back in my shirt pocket. the next thing to happen phone related was a call from the 911 operator in Amarillo stating that they had gotten a hang up call from my number. This is the 3rd time to call 911 accidentally.

BTW, I tried posting from my phone but the battery died.

Message was edited by: DavidAG92

Highlighted
Journeyman

DavidAG92 wrote:

while driving through

While driving through.....?

EDIT:  Sorry, had to give you a hard time.

I agree with everyone, this is a problem.  While I understand the intent of the design, it doesn't work IMHO from a useability standpoint.

Again, this is not Sprint or Samsung's design - this is an Android operating system design.

Now, as some have mentioned, Lock 2.0 can be a replacement - but I for one would prefer not to have to pay for something that I would consider a feature that could have been there from the start (or should have).  If you look at the unlock screens from the Nexus One (Google's new Android handset), it has Android 2.1 on it, and it shows on Page 31, to unlock the screen from sleep mode you must slide the lock across the screen.  Now, on the unlock code, it looks like it may still use the same pattern that we're all used to that's causing us trouble.

If I'm looking at this right, then when the Samsung Moment does get the Android 2 upgrade this spring (are you hearing us Samsung/Sprint?) that they have been promising, we might get some relief from the accidental emergency dialing (look at the screens from this Droid posting: http://skattertech.com/2009/12/quick-look-android-2-0-1-on-motorola-droid/).

I'm at work and can't spend a great deal of time looking for screen shots of phones with newer Android OS versions, but this is what I'm seeing.

Message was edited by: mainfr4me

Journeyman

FYI - according to the community - the "released accidentally but not quite for real" CL14 update fixes this issue by presenting a dialpad where 911 has to be "dialed" rather than immediately connecting to emergency services.

So, I guess people were complaining loudly enough.  Sit tight for the formal release of CL14 - all signs point to soon.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, a psychic in our midst.  (CL14 released yesterday.)  Picks for the Super Bowl?

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, how about that Ecliair update?

Come on, spread some Android 2.1 love for us - those of us in the North could use something to keep us warm on these cold nights!

Highlighted
Journeyman

so what do we do to get it? is it accessible from phone update screen?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Unfortunatly no - if you look at the posting (link) you have to visit a Sprint authorized repair facility.  Sucks IMHO - the nearest one is a good 40-50min drive (and not a Sprint corp store either).

I'm going to wait for OTA right now - I hope it comes out soon.  Or a desktop updater would be fine by me as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey -

I've created a bug / design flaw ticket for Android relating to this issue at http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=6249 .  if you want to help affect a change and get this fixed in the OS, please support this ticket!  let's get the people who matter to take notice of this and maybe take some action before one of us gets hit with fines and jail time.

again :

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=6249

thanks -

Matt

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat