cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making it harder to Emergency Call with lock-screen... or alternate

Highlighted
Journeyman

Making it harder to Emergency Call with lock-screen... or alternate

when i enable the lock pattern to help protect data and avoid accidental clicks/etc.. it is way too easy to accidentally enter emergency mode from the lock screen...which iirr directly calls 911 as soon as its entered (the call log shows a short call when this happens).  is there some way to make it require at least a few clicks to call out... or maybe change that number.     i have looked at lock 2.0 but it disclaims itself as being a practically responsible 'secure'  lock app.  are there any others or perhaps a tool to tweak the login ui to address the issue.

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Making it harder to Emergency Call with lock-screen... or alternate

I have been downloading several, I'll get back in here and report when I find a good one.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is a really annoying problem. I have friends with Android phones who call the number twice a day. It's the only reason I don't have a lock pattern on mine.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Check out Lock 2.0.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Been there done that already. I really dislike it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree their definitely needs to be an extra step or two to initiate a 911 call from the lock screen. I had initially set up the lock pattern but disabled it because it was way to easy to accidentally call 911. I am sure that this is something that the 911 dispatchers will complain about too once they realize what is causing the added false calls. Just like when cell phones used to come preprogrammed with a 911 speed dial that was later removed due to the number of calls placed without the phone owners knowing they had accidentally called 911.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This issue is SO Annoying.  I wonder if this phone was actually field tested or not.  I've called 911 so many times now, I think they're going to cut me off!

Anyways, If anyone comes accross a better soloution, please post.

This is the only issue I have with this phone.. Otherwise it rocks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

When i first got the phone, I accidentally dialed 911 about 6 times in the first week...one time culminating in a 911 operater on speakerphone in my pocket, asking me what the emergency was while i was raking leaves.

Needless to say, I apologized, and they politely declined sending a police officer to help me get the last 22 bags out of my Prarie Village backyard - as apparently that's not an emergency.  Pocket-dials aren't anything new to the 911 operators since the feature has been mandated on mobiles.

THE FIX - put the phone in your pocket screen side AWAY from your leg.  As it's a capacitative screen, it's much more difficult to dial if it's not touching flesh.

10 days, no accidental dials.  A real quick and easy habit to change.

Message was edited by: aBsTRaCt

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the suggestion.  That's not really a fix though, more like a work-around for a specific aspect of the overall problem.  Maybe I have fat fingers, but I hit the emergency call button mostly when unlocking the phone.

For exampe... I just called 911 about 5 minutes ago (which prompted me to check on any updates here).  I was unlocking the phone, but must have tilted the phone slightly while unlocking.  This repositioned the screen from veritial to horizontal.  And, as luck would have it, the 'emergency call' button ended up right where my finger was swiping.  As usual, 911 was dialed and i was unable to stop it.  I tried, but got a 911 call-back right away.

I really want to find whe location on the phone where the 911 call number is stored.  I'd change it to 123 or something like that.. maybe 555... not sure yet.. Anything but 911..

Highlighted
Journeyman

With the screen facing out, the ringer speaker faces my leg, and I can't hear incoming calls very well.

I'd call it a band-aid fix. Dialing 911 should require some kind of gesture, like the slide-to-unlock feature on iphones, or somesuch.

Highlighted
Journeyman

What Sammy needs to do is something like HTC did on the Hero, if you press the emergency call button, the dialpad shows up instead of automatically dialing 911. I went to a sprint store today and they told me that they don't have a fix for this... but they were hoping to have one since it seems to be a common problem with other users. The customer rep that helped me told me that they had similar problems on the pre and they had a patch for webOS, but nothing for android yet... I hope that samsung comes up with a fix soon, as my phone has already dialed 911 at least half a dozen times...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I, too, have become the victim of that 911 button. The first morning I grabbed my phone to turn off my alarm and dialed 911 somehow. I told the operator it was an accident, but they asked my address (aGPS not working? mentioned in another thread). I kindly gave them my address so they could log the incident, explained it was an accident, but they sent an officer anyway! He was not surprised, but it was very inconvenient for me AND them!

Please fix this ASAP!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat