cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moment with 2.1 and still airplane mode problem

Highlighted
Journeyman

Moment with 2.1 and still airplane mode problem

Hey all, I updated my moment to 2.1 and still getting airplane mode for no reason. I knew there was a problem with 1.5 but I thought there was a fix with 2.1 Any one else have this problem? Any sprint people have suggestions? Thanks

32 REPLIES 32
Journeyman

Re: Moment with 2.1 and still airplane mode problem

Yes.......  It's actually worse now as it won't turn off without powering off.  This stinks.

I went to a Sprint store & showed it to them in the failing state and they swapped out the phone.  On the way home, I re-installed my apps using Sprite Mechanic Beta & reloaded my text messages with SMS Backup & Restore.  By the time I got home, it was in airplane mode.  I'm now un-installing Apps one at a time.    What Apps do you have installed?

Master

There have been several causes for this issue discovered. Some of them were discovered and fixes were made, but not all of the causes have been identified. Sprint and Samsung are still working on the random airplane mode issue.

Journeyman

Just to add my voice, I too had airplane mode this morning when I woke up and took it off the charger. I had been feeling really good about the update, but now the phone is also having data lockups all the time. (When I browse the web, or download things from the market, data just hangs and I have to reboot the phone to get it to finish.)

I have to say that I HAD been feeling great about this update. The phone is responsive and looks great and many issues have been addressed. However, the airplane mode issue is huge. I have had this happen (under 1.5) while out with my wife and the babysitter was trying to reach us. It is really unacceptable. Can any of the Sprint employees let us know if they are at least still working on a fix and plan to release another update? OR, are this and the data lockups hardware issues? (In which case they really ought to recall and replace the phones.)

Message was edited by: DrGibberish

There's no excuse for not fixing the airplane mode and CDMA problems.  I think a recall or an early upgrade for Moment owners should be the next step.

Journeyman

no apps installed other than what came with 2.1  I set up email and contacts and thats about it. I charged last night and was in airplane mode when i got up. and yes it is worse than before. requires a reboot.

Journeyman

Another moment user here having problems with airplane mode. I can confirm it is worse now after the 2.1 update. The phone will randomly enter airplane mode and there is no way to get the radio back on besides turning the phone off/on.

Happens various times/day in my case.

Anyone knows if we are able to exchange the phone for another model due to this issue at a Sprint store?

I've had 2 different Moments (Sprint bricked first one during CL14 update) and I've never had the airplane mode problem with either.  Have 2 friends that have Moments also and neither of them have had the issue.

Only problem I have an occasional data lockup after using wi-fi.

Journeyman

I dont know what the cause is, but I am on my 4th Moment and I believe I have had this problem at least once on each of them. My current one would be in ariplane mode every single morning if I left WiFi on at night when I put it in the charger. This is better in 2.1 but still happens. I also have regular data lockups, especially when using the market. It must have happened to me 10+ times yesterday.

Journeyman

*sigh*

Woke up this morning to a phone in airplane mode and a very mad friend. At first the problem wasn't such a big deal for me I would just reboot the phone and it would come back on alright but now I'm missing calls and messages due to this issue. Very frustrating.

Where in the priority list is this issue Sprint?

Journeyman

I've only had my Moment for two weeks, and never had the problem of it going into Airplane Mode by itself with 1.5.  Yesterday I installed 2.1 and it's gone into Aiirplane Mode three times - twice with WiFi Off and overnight with WiFi On.  Not a good thing at all when I'm on call 24/7...

Journeyman

Temporary fix (I believe) Re: Moment with 2.1 and still airplane mode problem

I'm writing the instructions as if A NEW USER just purchased new samsung moment phone and has no ideal how to use it. So I am NOT talking down to YOU!

The Temporary fix is to:

0) Unlock the phone.

1)      Press the home button on the phone (it looks like a house)

2)      Press “Menu” (a new screen pops up from the bottom)

3)      Press “Settings” (round button on the right)

4)      Find and press the “Accounts & sync”

5)      UNCHECK the “Auto-sync” yes this means there will NOT be a green check mark in the box. Hit the home button.

6)      If your already in airplane mode reboot the phone, press the end key until you see the power off  phone select that and let the phone power down and then power it back up.

7)      Ok some items like gmail (the envelope with the red M inside of it) will not work. Other items may not as well, you can repeat steps 1-5 and place the check mark back into the box. Do what you need to repeat 1-5 and uncheck.

And by turning the auto-sync on again, sometimes so much data comes down  it forces it to airplane mode lockup.

Whenever airplane mode is activated the airplane symbol does not come on.

What will happen is the up arrow on EVDO indicator will be stuck in the up position. As if your data is streaming out. The airplane icon will not come on.  Attempting to force airplane mode, via end key long press and select, or using menu to select airplane mode will sometimes result in it showing the airplane icon. I have yet found any process killer that will reset the cellular radio.

It will never release airplane mode. I left my phone on over night plugged in with screen set not to sleep and was still forced to reboot the phone. Txt msg or calls out are not happening in this mode.

At the present there only way to resolve the problem is to power off and restart.

What causes the problem?

My initial thought was that it was having the screen off set to 30 sec and having auto-sync turned on. With that setting you will get 30 seconds of any data usage and it will go into airplane mode lockup.

If you set the setting to auto-sync turned off, it takes about a day for it to happen.

And by turning the auto-sync on again, sometimes so much data comes down it forces it to airplane mode lockup.

Ok in the interim let’s get a quick fix. When the phone receives a prl update it resets the cellular radio.  SPRINT/SAMSUNG Create an object that embeds the PRL update LOCALLY, This will force a reset on the radio, until you can figure out what causes the problem.

Robert Baucom

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat